PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for digital camera

Louis Brandt
06-18-2010, 1:05 PM
Deleted deleted

Rich Stewart
06-18-2010, 1:30 PM
I just got a Nikon with a 7x optical zoom. Really zooms in. The "auto" setting sucks. You have to play around in different light settings to find the right one. I took a bunch of pics at a b'day party with flourescent lighting and everything is yellow. A different setting cleared up the problem. Can't remember the number but, it's a point and shoot. Maybe S630 Coolpix. Very small. Lists for 249.00. Got mine for 219.00 at Best Buy.

David Weaver
06-18-2010, 1:34 PM
I like the Panasonic DMC-FZ series a lot.

I have an older one. The DMC-FZ18 is about $200, IIRC.

They have a nice large lens, great color in the pictures and good image stabilization.

Much better than a subcompact camera (I've used sony, fuji, kodak and panasonic fx series compact / subcompact cameras)/

Eric DeSilva
06-18-2010, 2:19 PM
I'm a Nikon guy from way back--learned to shoot 35mm film on my Dad's old Nikon S2, and I currently own an F5, D200 and D700. But if I was buying a point and shoot in the $200 range... I'd buy a Canon. Whatever incarnation the the Elph fits your budget.

Dave Gaul
06-18-2010, 2:45 PM
For Point-and-shoot cameras, I'd say Canon. Check out "Ken Rockwell", he has a great site with lots of info. He even has top cameras at different price ranges...

Louis Brandt
06-18-2010, 2:55 PM
Maybe it's just that I've written this post in a way that's confusing, so I apologize. I'm only asking whether anyone has just bought one that they like, but I guess that I'd better delete this post, because it's being misunderstood.

Chuck Wintle
06-18-2010, 3:19 PM
For Point-and-shoot cameras, I'd say Canon. Check out "Ken Rockwell", he has a great site with lots of info. He even has top cameras at different price ranges...
I will vouch for Canon for a point and shoot camera. I just bought a 10megapixel for $150 with image stabilizer. For the price it works well. :D

Louis Brandt
06-18-2010, 3:27 PM
I will vouch for Canon for a point and shoot camera. I just bought a 10megapixel for $150 with image stabilizer. For the price it works well. :D

Can you give me the model number of it?
Louis

Tony Joyce
06-18-2010, 4:10 PM
I bought the Kodak M340 about two months ago and have been surprised at the quality of pictures it produces. Paid less than $130 and it keeps going down. I think it is being replaced with another model. Love the size and quality.

Chuck Wintle
06-18-2010, 4:45 PM
Can you give me the model number of it?
Louis
Louis,

It's a Canon Power Shot A1000 IS. The IS stands for Image Stabilizer and it has a 4x optical zoom. I believe this model is superseded by the 1100 IS.

It uses standard SD memory cards which are very inexpensive and comes with a software suite to allow easy download from the camera to the computer.

For the money paid it suits my purposes well as i am just an occasional amateur photographer. :D

Ed Harrow
06-21-2010, 12:28 AM
What's your budget? What do you want to do with the camera?

I have a Nikon D200 with the 18-200 zoom lens. I love it, but sometimes I wish for a longer lens, sometimes for a macro, but never so often to get me to spend the money. I used to carry a bag with a couple of bodies and 4 lenses - now it's just the one, and I like it like that.

John Keeton
06-21-2010, 6:21 AM
Folks, the OP has deleted his original post so further comment is not relevant. Thanks!

Chuck Wintle
06-21-2010, 9:41 AM
Folks, the OP has deleted his original post so further comment is not relevant. Thanks!
why don't you lock the thread so no more posts will occur?