PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Gouge gloat

Thom Sturgill
06-18-2010, 1:01 PM
I recently bought three of Doug's gouges. Here's a picture of my favorite two.
This is a 3/8" and 1/2" V-gouge in Jimmy Clewe's grind.

Roland Martin
06-18-2010, 1:22 PM
I'm jealous Thom, I just recieved a 3/8" v from him, but only one, you got three???:mad:
Very unique & well done handles, I'm assuming you turned them? The vortex is quite a force to fight off isn't it?:)

Thom Sturgill
06-18-2010, 1:36 PM
Roland, I'm near retirement and while I have the income, I'm buying whatever I think I will need after I retire. I started with HF, then Benjamin's Best and Sorby. Now that I think I know a little of what I'm doing I'm adding to the collection form the top end!

BTW, yes I turned the handles. One is 16" ash, the other 11" mahogany.

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 1:41 PM
Thom, that mahogany handle with the basketweave is really neat!!

Congrats on the Thompsons - I love mine!

Tim Rinehart
06-18-2010, 1:56 PM
I think it speaks well for a turner to have nicely turned handles like that, an expression of his creativity and craft...well done. I may have to try that basket weave.
Is it just woodburning, or some carving as well?

I've been toying with some new handles from other thread today, as I have some double ended gouges, but for single ended, those are great.

Mike Minto
06-18-2010, 2:08 PM
It's always fun to get a new tool - they are so pretty and shiny. Now go mess them up.

Thom Sturgill
06-18-2010, 2:22 PM
I think it speaks well for a turner to have nicely turned handles like that, an expression of his creativity and craft...well done. I may have to try that basket weave.
Is it just woodburning, or some carving as well?

I've been toying with some new handles from other thread today, as I have some double ended gouges, but for single ended, those are great.

No burning, just carving and stain. There is an old quote about telling a craftsman by his tools. I think that speaks to both the knowledge to pick good quality tools and the care given to them. In our world, that would be indicative of care given to proper sharpening, and if using custom turned handles, their design and functionality (not necessarily their looks). I hope I am beginning to qualify.

These were turned as skew practice and experimentation with chip carving and as embodiment of a plaque my father had hanging over his workbench - "if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing right" ( - or something to that extent).

John Hart
06-18-2010, 3:55 PM
It's always fun to get a new tool - they are so pretty and shiny. Now go mess them up.

I'll second that. ;)

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 6:23 PM
Congrats on the new toys... err, tools.

Love the basketweave detail.

bob svoboda
06-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Gotta love the Thompson tools. VERY nice job on those handles. If tools define the craftsman, you are a craftsman indeed.