PDA

View Full Version : query got moved to "off topic"

John Sheets
06-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I posted a question this morning about anyone having any recent contact with Don Pencil, since I haven't been able to reach him. It apparently has been moved to "off topic". As far as I know, Don sells only turning related products. Actually, this seems more on-topic than someone receiving a catalog from Packard, for example.
Maybe I need some guidance here.
Thanks

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 1:24 PM
John, that thread was moved (not by me) apparently because a determination was made that it was not directly related to the topic of turning. There are many reasons why you may have wanted to contact Don Pencil that may or may not have been related to his products. No one would know that from the thread you posted.

I don't think there is a fine demarcation line for members, and on a case by case basis the moderators and administrator have the discretion to move a thread. The purpose is to keep the various forums as "topically clean" as possible.

Not sure this helps you, but it is the best I can do.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-18-2010, 1:25 PM
John,

First, I didn't move your thread.

Packard sells primarily turning tools and related stuff.

2ndly the only accepted method of discussing Moderator or Administrator actions if via PMs or email. Public discussion or criticism isn't allowed.

In the event you don't know who to contact, PM one of the Moderators assigned to that forum. They are listed at the bottom of every page in a given forum. If nobody is listed, try one of the Mods.

I suggest you PM Keith Outten for an explanation as he is the person who moved your thread.

John Sheets
06-18-2010, 2:09 PM
Mr. Keeton,
I would think that "I called him three days ago and left a message that I wanted to place an order, but have not heard from him" should indicate farily clearly why I wanted to contact him.

Additionally, even though Packard sells "primarily turning tools and related stuff", Pencil sells only turning tools and turning-related items.

No public criticism intended, just looking for clarification.

I'll PM Mr. Outten.
Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
06-18-2010, 2:20 PM
John,

One more thing to consider.

All of us Mods and Admins have at least 1 fulltime job.

In Keith's case, he works a full time job, has a sign business and owns and administer's the Creek too. So if he takes a while to reply, please understand. He's a busy man.

John Shuk
06-18-2010, 4:13 PM
When my wife cleans the house she invariably puts things of mine in some place that isn't most convenient to me. It bugs me a bit but she is doing the cleaning for five people at my home.
Moderating is very much like tidying up. Moderators are largely like homemakers, not paid, underappreciated and busy.
Sometimes you just have to accept and appreciate.

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 4:18 PM
Thanks, John!:)

Karl Card
06-18-2010, 4:38 PM
I honestly did not mean to start anything with the packard thread.

Honestly this forum is all I have between me and woodworking.

I have 1 friend here in Evansville that likes woodworking but our hours of work interrupt us from having time in the shop to exchange tips and tricks.

I basically like to give out knowledge of new things and things that I think are neat, for 2 reasons - one if what I am seeing really isnt going to do what I think it will do someone else will give me there experience with that item. Secondly if someone is as new to woodworking as I am I look and pay attention to different catalogues, stores, websites just looking for good deals and the such.

I often will start a thread and maybe it is not as close to turning as some would like but the turning forum to me is almost like talking (typing) to family... and sometimes I do forget to stay on the subject..

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 5:34 PM
Karl, I don't see that as the problem.

Barry Elder
06-18-2010, 6:16 PM
It may be that Don Pencil is on his way to the National Symposium in Hartford, Connecticut.

Keith Outten
06-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Five years from now when someone searches the Turners Forum for information about making pencils your thread will come up in their search.

The fact that you are looking for Don Pencil isn't relevant to the woodworking topic of the forum in spite of the fact the Don is a supplier.

Archiving information about suppliers becomes useless information over time. Rather than deleting your thread I moved it to the Off Topic Forum. The Off Topic Forum is rarely searched and easy for us to clean up periodically should we decide to delete old threads and posts.

We cannot decide how to moderate any post or thread without carefully reading the content. Identifying tag words to compare two threads in an effort to ascertain why one was moved and another wasn't is word play. Should someone ask about a particular tool that is in a Packard catalog the question is clearly about a tool and the reference to Packard becomes secondary or support information.

John Shuk is correct in that house cleaning is a thankless job that everyone understands needs to be done and are happy to see someone else take on the task. Should we make a mistake every now and then it is certainly better than not doing any house cleaning at all. Managing 800 posts per day seven days a week is a huge task......after seven years. Anyone can do it for a couple of days or weeks.

For our Archives to have any value we must at least try to organize threads daily. Many Forums delete all threads after 30 days, imagine the wealth of information that would be lost if we decided to do the same.

Sorry if my tone seems to be a bit straight laced, it has already been a long day and I have at least two more hours of work to do behind the scenes here this evening.

Nigel Tracy
06-18-2010, 11:30 PM
I see both perspectives of this:
a) under appreciated mod/admin having to "work fast"
b) original poster feeling a bit jazzed at someone moving his query from where he thought it should be--"it is a discussion forum after all"

I'm not trying to stir up anything but I do have a quick question and I'll leave it at that: (why yes I do believe that makes it a rhetorical question...)

John, was a reason (even ultra-brief) given for moving your post? or was it just moved?

David DeCristoforo
06-19-2010, 12:06 AM
What is a "don" pencil anyway? BTW, what is the relevance of this thread to the "woodworking topic of the forum"?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2010, 12:09 AM
David,

Don Pencil manufacturers turning tools and devices

David DeCristoforo
06-19-2010, 12:13 AM
"Don Pencil manufacturer's turning tools and devices..."

Picture me thus: http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

That's what I get for being a wise guy? A straight answer?!?! Scheech...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Badda Bing?..............Would a drum roll be appropriate now?
:rolleyes:

David DeCristoforo
06-19-2010, 12:23 AM
"Would a drum roll be appropriate now?"

At least. I mean if a guy goes through all the trouble of being a smart aleck , he could at least get a smart aleck answer...

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 7:06 AM
...what is the relevance of this thread to the "woodworking topic of the forum"?None, until you got here David!!:D

"At least. I mean if a guy goes through all the trouble of being a smart aleck , he could at least get a smart aleck answer...Did that work???:D

Keith Outten
06-19-2010, 7:09 AM
John, was a reason (even ultra-brief) given for moving your post? or was it just moved?

Nigel,

I don't remember whether I sent John a PM concerning his thread being moved. I make an effort to provide warnings/notifications to the OP when a thread is changed or moved. There are times when I just don't have the time to provide a notification. Contributors are always given preference here where my time is considered.

I will also admit that there are situations when the offense is so rude or unfriendly that I don't feel that a notification is deserved. Considering the number of people here who need assistance every day I cannot spend time helping those who have a bad attitude or some cross to bare. If I let them trolls would totally consume my every waking moment.

Some complain about our lack of responding to the contact us email. We do answer as many email messages as we can every day and delete several thousand spam messages per day as well. Then there are the 50 to 100 emails we receive daily that are either threats or contain the worst foul language you can imagine. If you think that all woodworkers are nice people you should stand on my side of the fence for a week.

What overshadows all of the problems and the monumental work load we face each day is that there are a lot of outstanding people who belong to this Community.

David DeCristoforo
06-19-2010, 10:08 AM
"Did that work???"

That will do... Thank you...