PDA

View Full Version : PC Oscillating Spindle Sander Model# 121

Peter Stahl
11-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Anyone have the Porter Cable Portable Oscillating Spindle Sander Model# 121 (like in the Pic below)? What do you think of it? Do you mount it in a table? Sorry you bought it? Would you rather have a table top model (e.g. Delta Boss)? Need to give Santa a list!

thanks, Pete

Lamar Horton
11-28-2004, 10:26 PM
I have a benchtop OSS and have, on occasion wished I had this one. I would be interested in others opinions as well.

Paul B. Cresti
11-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Peter,
I have had the OSS for about 2 years and it works quite well. I am sure a dedicated machine would most likely have more power but the PC does work. If you are limited in space and already have a router table it will work well. I have shop built router table that I use both my PC 7518 and the OSS in. I created different size adapter plates/rings to accomodate the different diameter sleeves.

Tony Falotico
11-29-2004, 6:09 AM
I've had one for less than a year, and like it. Haven't had much shop time lately, and haven't mounted it in a table but definitely plan to. I bought it for a specific project that could not be lifted onto a table and it worked excellently.

Chris DiCiaccio
11-29-2004, 8:25 AM
I have had mine for about two years. I mount it in my Black & Decker workbench, attach the shopvac, and it has done excellent for me. I have used it on many projects.

Clint deal
11-29-2004, 8:37 AM
I've always wondered about that one also. I found a Ryoby (sp) tabletop one on sale once and bought it. it's the only one of their tools I have but I really like it. The dust collection is great using my shopvac. I tried it with my collector but I could'nt move the wood accross the table lol. it sucked it flat.
Clint

Chris Padilla
11-29-2004, 12:09 PM
I love mine but I haven't done any DC connection up to it as it could really use one.

I also haven't tried it in my router table but theortetically, I suppose you could use it as an abrasive jointer in the router table.

Peter Stahl
11-29-2004, 1:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. Haven't heard any negatives about it yet.

Pete

Peter Stahl
11-29-2004, 1:45 PM
I love mine but I haven't done any DC connection up to it as it could really use one.

I also haven't tried it in my router table but theortetically, I suppose you could use it as an abrasive jointer in the router table.

Chris,

Is this your actual setup? What plate is it attached to in the picture? Is it like a router, remove the factory plate and put a bigger one on? Thanks for the reply.

Pete

Chris Padilla
11-29-2004, 2:07 PM
Peter,

Yes, that is my normal set-up in my mobile bench. That plate is from Woodpeckers and yeah, you can remove the plate from the sander and attach the one from Woodpeckers so that you can put it in just about any router table.

In fact, whever I remove the sander from the bench (rare) to use as a handheld, I can normally leave the Woodpeckers plate on! :)

Peter Stahl
11-29-2004, 2:51 PM
Chris,

Sounds good. I really like that set up. Anymore pics of it?

thanks, Pete