PDA

View Full Version : Workbench on top of table saw

Alan Lightstone
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Common story, using garage as workshop, space challenged, yada, yada, yada...

I've been toying with the idea of building a solid workbench top with vices to sit on top of my table saw when not being used. Otherwise, I just can't fit a workbench.

How to attach it so that it can be used with racking is a big issue, as well as how to raise it up (probably would use a hoist for that.)

Has anyone done this? Is it crazy? Any advice?

David Hostetler
06-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Allan,

I have seen a lot of guys that simply use a solid core door as a bench top clamped down to the TS top. Due to the nature of a lot of table saw stands, I am not crazy about the idea. HOWEVER, if you have a table saw workstation built, with a nice solid base, or if you have an older / higher end table saw / base that doesn't budge, I think it could work exceptionally well... However the common sheet metal stands that are on most tables saws would just wiggle too much...

Typically the vise is mounted to the door, and the whole thing just laid over the top of the saw / work station, and clamped with hold downs threaded into thread inserts from the bottom side...

Another option is a fold down bench that is hinged from the wall. Some nice solid folding 2x4 legs and you are business...

I would look into the TS workstation in the long run. There is an enormous amount of wasted space under a table saw that you can use for storage of your shop vac, cutoffs, etc... Also using your TS extension wing with a router insert is another great way to buy back space...

Kurt Cady
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Wood magazine #178. September 2007.

I'm building it right now. I'm sure you can adapt it to your situation.

I also have the PDF of the entire mag with the plan if you want...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZyguUCdw4s&sns=em

Alan Lightstone
06-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Wood magazine #178. September 2007.

I'm building it right now. I'm sure you can adapt it to your situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZyguUCdw4s&sns=em

I'd love the pdf. Can you PM it to me? Thanks.

The TS is a Sawstop contractor saw with 36" extensions. I've also thought that I'll have to use the table as a router table. But I clearly need a good workbench with vises.

I've thought of the wall mounted, as well as a workbench top that raises and lowers by hoist to below the cabinets above, making a way to use the TS as well as a workbench.

I don't know if clamping it to the TS will be stable enough. Given a heavy enough top, is that sufficient to prevent racking / provide enough stability?

David Hostetler
06-18-2010, 1:46 PM
I forgot about the plan that Kurt mentioned. That is a good one. Gives you outfeed support as well, you can roll everything up against the wall when done. Really nice if you have to do something silly like park cars in the shop.

glenn bradley
06-18-2010, 1:54 PM
Kurt nailed it. That was the plan that came to mind while reading your post. Just adjust some area to allow for the vise hardware.

Jay Radke
06-18-2010, 1:55 PM
I forgot about the plan that Kurt mentioned. That is a good one. Gives you outfeed support as well, you can roll everything up against the wall when done. Really nice if you have to do something silly like park cars in the shop.

I would like those plans. Kinda trumps what I was thinking of doing. It would save me lots of space. I have one bay of a three car garage as my shop/storgae. Everything gets parked against the walls when I am done. So doubling up on the same footprint would be a godsend.

Chuck Schultz
06-18-2010, 2:06 PM
I recently completed that same table design for my saw. I didn't have the plans, so I kinda built it on the fly.

I made the workbench with a torsion box top since it is rather large and it is solid as a rock. I changed the folding wheel mechanism as well since the weight of my table wouldn't support the original design. Best of all, when I'm done working I can slide the table over my saw and up against the wall.

Jeff Hendrix
06-18-2010, 3:41 PM
I like that myself, could you pm me a copy as well? I am working out of my garage as well and am cubic feet challenged as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jay Runde
06-18-2010, 3:47 PM
[QUOTE=Kurt Cady;1448906]Wood magazine #178. September 2007.

/QUOTE]

I'd love to get a copy of it as well.

Alan Schwabacher
06-18-2010, 4:41 PM
It's not as compact, but another option is to build a workbench attached to the back of the saw as a small outfeed table. The saw surface can work as part of the workbench, but the outfeed part can take the harder use you might not want for your saw.

I don't think I am allowed to link to another forum, but if you search on the family woodworking site for posts by Stuart Ablett, you will find one titled "Building a Bench on the Back of the Sawstop" that is a very nice example. His website is also very interesting (describing a very capable and compact workshop in Tokyo) but unfortunately I don't think his workbench story is on the website.

Kurt Cady
06-18-2010, 5:07 PM
I got the PDF from another member here months ago, but I have no problem sending them to anyone that wants it. It's a large file. The whole magazine.

I'm out of town this weekend, and reading on my phone. It's saved at home, so if you PM me with an email address, I will send it to you on Sunday night or Monday.

Alan, I have an R4511 Ridgid and my idea is this: I'm going to build a router table using the same wheel/mobility concept such that it tucks between the rails on the right side of the saw. It will have it's own fence. It will be on wheels because the access into the TS cabinet is on that side. This way I don't drill into granite.

Basically my point was that the outfeed/assembly table will cover both my TS and router table.

Alan Lightstone
06-18-2010, 8:25 PM
The Wood Magazine plan has potential.

Would building a heavy top work better than a torsion box in regards to stability on the casters? Easy to make a torsion box level, but I would think it could rock pretty seriously on the casters.

Joe A Faulkner
06-18-2010, 9:27 PM
Could another set of levelers be incorporated into the design? Once you roll the table over the saw, could you somehow get it off the casters and back in direct contact with the floor? In addition to this, perhaps a removable brace that is reattached to the open end of the table after it is returned over the saw would help provided added stability. Under this configuration, I would think a heavier top would help.

Tony Perrone
06-18-2010, 9:41 PM
If someone could send that to me I would appreciate it. That is the coolest idea, I love this site.
Happy Fathers Day

Doug Carpenter
06-19-2010, 8:44 AM
I'll say it......Chuck, that is one hell of a shop floor.:)

Kurt Cady
06-20-2010, 4:33 PM
To all those that PM'ed me with an email address, I just sent the pdf now.

It is a large file (about 22MB).

If you dont get it, let me know.

Happy building! And post pics when you're done

Jay Radke
06-20-2010, 9:48 PM
Kurt,

Thanks a lot.

Jay

Halgeir Wold
06-21-2010, 2:50 PM
- ditto!

Lot's of interestimg stuff!

Jay Radke
07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Well I am almost done with this. I need some help with my top. The bench isnt 100% square as there is a slight gap when I put the top in. I was thinking about scribing a line and then sawing along that. Is that the right answer. I would like my top to fully cover the opening.

Zach England
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I recently completed that same table design for my saw. I didn't have the plans, so I kinda built it on the fly.

I made the workbench with a torsion box top since it is rather large and it is solid as a rock. I changed the folding wheel mechanism as well since the weight of my table wouldn't support the original design. Best of all, when I'm done working I can slide the table over my saw and up against the wall.

That is a neat floor. Is it an old house? I bet it is a pain to level machines on it, but it sure has character.