PDA

View Full Version : Frankfurt Tools? Any suggestions on stuff to look at?

Greg Becker
06-18-2010, 9:05 AM
I have a one and a half day layover in Frankfurt on my way to and from Kabul. Does anyone know of any places to look at antique or modern German hand tools? Any particular brands to look for?

I've got time to spend shopping and want to take advantage of time and location.

Dave Schwarzkopf
06-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Greg,

I'm more than a bit jealous. We spent the night on the way from Kandahar and had to spend it in the terminal; they wouldn't let us leave.

I might get hell for saying this, but any of the German tools that I know of you could probably get cheaper stateside, (two cherries, emmerich/primus, and kunz). I have no knowledge of antiques, though.

If I was you I'd be spending more time taste-testing the local brews than rust hunting, just my 2 cents.

Dave

Edit: Perhaps I should caveat my last statement; I'm a Sailor, what'd you expect?

James Owen
06-20-2010, 1:45 AM
I have a one and a half day layover in Frankfurt on my way to and from Kabul. Does anyone know of any places to look at antique or modern German hand tools? Any particular brands to look for?

I've got time to spend shopping and want to take advantage of time and location.

Greg,

If you can find out when the local flea market (der Flohmarkt, in German) is and if it happens to coincide with your time in Frankfurt, you can often pick up some really nice planes and other tools, for next to nothing.

If no luck with the flea market, try the local green apple wine in the Sachenhausen district, just off the south side of the Main River.

Greg Becker
06-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Even the restaurants are closed at and near the hotel. Only option is hotel bar - and I don't drink.

So far, this is the worlds most boring city. Hope Monday is better. I can't wait to get back to Kabul where at least there are restaurants and carpet shops to go to on the weekend.