PDA

View Full Version : Maple Vase

Rob Cunningham
06-18-2010, 7:47 AM
A small vase I turned from Silver Maple. It's 6" high and 4" in diameter with a 1-1/2" opening. There's a few spalt lines and some swirling grain patterns in the wood I sanded to 400 grit and finished with 4 coats of Antique Oil.
After the oil dried, I sanded with a 4000 grit Abralon pad and buffed with Meguiar's cleaner wax. All comments and critiques are appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Golka
06-18-2010, 7:56 AM
Nice wood. Good flowing curves on the top side but the bottom is a little too straight for my liking but if that's the shape you were going for well done.

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 8:19 AM
Rob, beautiful wood! And, you did a great job on the finish. I have never done a vase, so the comments of others in that regard would be more appropriate.

Mike Willeson
06-18-2010, 9:00 AM
Nice work Rob. I like that shape.

David DeCristoforo
06-18-2010, 9:19 AM
I really like the soft finish on this. Not a big fan of high gloss anyway (too many years of finishing cabinets!) but in this case the finish really "fits".

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2010, 9:25 AM
Good looking vase Rob out of some really nice wood.

Kurt Barker
06-18-2010, 9:40 AM
I like the lines, the wood, and especially the setting used for the photographs. Nice job.

ktb

Frank Van Atta
06-18-2010, 9:58 AM
Very nice vase. Good form. At first blush I thought the base needed to be smaller, but the more I look at it the better I like it just like it is.

Richard Madison
06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Nice vase Rob. As Mike said, some would prefer a smooth curvature from the shoulder all the way to the base, slightly smaller base, and a nice radius from the sides into the bottom. But it would not be much fun or very interesting if every piece had to look exactly the same. I like your vase.

John Hart
06-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I like it too...I definitely love the wood, and think the finish is great. I think I can see your reflection in pic #1. Maybe it's a ghost.:eek:

Whether the width of the bottom should be smaller or the sides need to be more curved...is really a matter of personal taste, and I would be in the group that would prefer that. I also like to put a bit of a foot on the bottom...just to lift the vase up a bit.

All in all...I like it very much. The curve through the neck and the size of the mouth are very appealing to me.

Nice job.:)

Jeff Luedloff
06-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Very nice vase, great design and finish. Will look great as a center peice on a table.

charlie knighton
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM
very nice...

Dennis Ford
06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
It looks to me like you broke some "rules" about shape and foot size and the result is a good design. The wood and finish are both great and go well together.

Roland Martin
06-18-2010, 1:44 PM
I think the proportions look good as is, and the wood & finish are great.
If you wouldn't have listed the size, I would have thought it was a fair amount larger than it really is. Nice turning Rob

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 6:38 PM
I like it too...I definitely love the wood, and think the finish is great. I think I can see your reflection in pic #1. Maybe it's a ghost.:eek:

Whether the width of the bottom should be smaller or the sides need to be more curved...is really a matter of personal taste, and I would be in the group that would prefer that. I also like to put a bit of a foot on the bottom...just to lift the vase up a bit.

All in all...I like it very much. The curve through the neck and the size of the mouth are very appealing to me.

Nice job.:)

That pretty much sums it up for me... Except for the visual hallucinations which others have led me to believe is from prolonged voluntary exposure to shellac... hic.:D