PDA

View Full Version : Got a new (used) toy today

Steve Bigelow
06-18-2010, 1:39 AM
It's been a long day, but I picked up a new toy off Craigslist today.

Good excuse to use the car hauler...

Anyway, it's a cute little 48x96 ShopBot, complete with Porter Cable router and Jet 1200CFM dust collector.

I paid $400, which is probably way too much, but I'm sure I'll have fun with it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=153670&stc=1&d=1276839437

Steve Bigelow
06-18-2010, 1:53 AM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_bVGGTY5HGmY/TBsJWflj5WI/AAAAAAAAFXI/7kPKssN8V_E/s800/IMAGE_098.jpg

cameron bailey
06-18-2010, 4:39 AM
$400.00? :eek: Ya you paid way to much. Just so you do not feel so bad I can came and take it off your hands. I will give you $500.00 for it that way you do not feel like you wasted your time.

Van Huskey
06-18-2010, 4:40 AM
I paid $400, which is probably way too much, but I'm sure I'll have fun with it.

Yeah, you got robbed. :rolleyes:

YOU SUCK!

Chip Lindley
06-18-2010, 5:02 AM
Ya Steve, you REALLY REALLLY SUCK!!

$400 Indeed !!! Humphhh!

Enjoy the learning curve!!!

John McClanahan
06-18-2010, 8:11 AM
$400? What's missing? Great find!

John

Brian Kincaid
06-18-2010, 8:37 AM
...I paid $400, which is probably way too much...

Too much? What parallel dimension are you from and let me know when you are going back!?!
-Brian

Myk Rian
06-18-2010, 1:16 PM
That's not a gloat, it's a smirk.

Paul Steiner
06-18-2010, 1:19 PM
$400? What's missing? Great find!

John

I am dying to know if that is a complete setup. For $400 there has to be something that you need, pci card, software, etc? That would be awesome, especially for you if it is a complete setup. If it is complete then you would really suck.

Richard Link
06-18-2010, 1:38 PM
Great job! I'm sure you will have fun with that item.

I assume that when you say "shopbot" you mean that it is a CNC router, rather than an actual Shopbot CNC router, right? I've not seen a true Shopbot with that rail system and a wooden table. With that said, even a home-built 48x96 CNC is going to cost a fair bit to part out and build.

Did the seller provide you with design and CAM software for your new toy?

Steve Bigelow
06-18-2010, 5:02 PM
It's a complete setup. Well, missing the PC. No, no CAM software, but I have access to CAM software. Lot's of free stuff out there, and several that I could get for a few hundred dollars.

All the cables were cut when it was moved last, so I'll have to rewire.

I didn't really look at it too closely - I just wanted to get it loaded up before he changed his mind!

I suspect that it's a PR version of the ShopBot, so the best it can do is DOS, and mach3 isn't supported.

Almost $1600 for an upgrade to the PRT version, so that isn't in the cards. I may make my own controller since I have access to a 6 layer CNC PCB router / laminater. It should be pretty easy to take a Cypress USB chip and write a controller for it that I can dead bug onto my existing controller board. That'll give me Win7 support and an USB interface.

So, some work to be done before it is fully functional.

Karl Brogger
06-18-2010, 5:58 PM
The "gloat" thing was annoying enough, do we really have to add "You Suck" to every one of these?

Sweet find BTW.

Heath Brandenburg
06-18-2010, 6:15 PM
Congrats, Steve! I saw that on CL the other day but just couldn't find the space to cram it in my garage. I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

Dave MacArthur
06-19-2010, 2:22 AM
Does anyone have any idea what Steve just said up there? I'm pretty sure he's talking about the electronics of it or something.

Nice deal!

Steve Bracken
06-19-2010, 4:25 AM
Does anyone have any idea what Steve just said up there? I'm pretty sure he's talking about the electronics of it or something.

Nice deal!

He was speaking Geek, with a hint of Nerd thrown in :D

Jerome Stanek
06-19-2010, 6:20 AM
That is a vintage PR shopbot I have a unit that is a little newer with the shop bot table. $400 was way to low for it they normally go for about $3500. with the upgrade they go for about $4500. You still can run it. You will need a computer running windows 98 and you can still download the software for it. When I got my shopbot I could only run it at about 100 inches a minute I upgraded I could cut at 300 inches a minute and it was like running a whole new machine. The accuracy is amazing after the upgrade. It cuts just as good ir better than my new PRS.

OH YEA YOU SUCK

Doug Carpenter
06-19-2010, 8:14 AM
Sorry I don't know but what does it do?

Home grown CNC?

Steve Bigelow
06-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Pseudo home-grown CNC. The original ShopBots were a DIY kit.

Jerome Stanek
06-19-2010, 12:15 PM
You really got a buy as the router and dust collector is worth more than $400.

Kevin Gregoire
06-19-2010, 1:01 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2nhozev.jpg

Jerome Stanek
06-19-2010, 1:44 PM
Did you get the black power supply with it. What about the long serial cable?

Steve Bigelow
06-20-2010, 6:14 PM
The power supply is just a PC power supply, and the circuit board is enclosed in an old computer case (with ShopBot on the front). Yep, got the serial cable with it as well.

Jerome Stanek
06-21-2010, 7:08 AM
Now all you have to do is load the Shopbot software on a computer and hook it up. Once connected you will have to load the firm ware it is under utilities on the shopbot software. Once that is done you should be able to move the router around table. There is a demo file on the software under cuts it will route the Shopbot logo.

Jerome Stanek
06-21-2010, 7:16 AM
Now all you have to do is load the Shopbot software on a computer and hook it up to the control box. Once you do that you will need to load the firmware on your control box it is under the utilities drop down. then you are set to move the gantry around the table. There is a demo cut file that cuts the Shopbot logo under cuts. If you have any questions you just contact me and I will try to help you out.

Roger Benton
06-21-2010, 9:31 AM
It's a complete setup. Well, missing the PC. No, no CAM software, but I have access to CAM software. Lot's of free stuff out there, and several that I could get for a few hundred dollars.

All the cables were cut when it was moved last, so I'll have to rewire.

I didn't really look at it too closely - I just wanted to get it loaded up before he changed his mind!

I suspect that it's a PR version of the ShopBot, so the best it can do is DOS, and mach3 isn't supported.

Almost $1600 for an upgrade to the PRT version, so that isn't in the cards. I may make my own controller since I have access to a 6 layer CNC PCB router / laminater. It should be pretty easy to take a Cypress USB chip and write a controller for it that I can dead bug onto my existing controller board. That'll give me Win7 support and an USB interface.

So, some work to be done before it is fully functional.

ummmm, Riiiight..... 220, 221, whatever it takes.
nice haul!

Eric L. Severseike
06-21-2010, 5:18 PM

Nice deal!

Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads...

Jerome Stanek
06-21-2010, 5:44 PM
And remember to fit the flux capacitor in correctly or it will run backwards.

Josiah Bartlett
06-22-2010, 7:00 PM
He was speaking Geek, with a hint of Nerd thrown in :D

Just about anybody can do a 2-6 layer circuit board on the cheap nowadays, thanks to Sunstone/PCBexpress or one of a few other online rapid prototyping pcb houses. They even provide the cad software. You lay out the circuit, pay with a credit card, and get boards by fedex a few days later for as little as $95. You can even get them stuffed with components and soldered for you. I use them for my job when I want to prototype something quickly- its much faster than our in house layout and purchasing team can turn things around.
http://www.sunstone.com/products-services/quickturn-proto-boards.aspx