PDA

View Full Version : 1st pot turned..

Michael James
06-17-2010, 11:17 PM
This is my 1st vessel and I went ahead and put some tung oil, and sealed it later with shellac before it had a chance to dry... just to see what it might look like "finished". I made it about a month ago, from a chunk of cottonwood my neighbor donated. Pens arent much of a challenge anymore and I dont want to sit at the flea market on my weekends, knowing the kit importers, and pen suppliers are the ones making the $$.
So, Im just gonna make myself at home here and put my newbie stuff on the line. I can handle constructive criticism when offered in the right spirit. So practice and feed back are my new buddies.
Again I want to thank everybody that responded to my quad cities request, introductions, etc. Special thanks to Joe, who called me tonight and I will get to meet next month. And thank you to those that made private offers / donations, I respect your anonymous - ness:) (I am educated way beyond my intelligence, so sometimes I just make up words..bear with me)

This is my lil cracked pot. I also realize y'all are into nice photos...one thing at a time. These are off my phone at my office. Next ones, I will work on the photography.

Frank Van Atta
06-18-2010, 1:16 AM
A very nice shape. Is it hollow or just a bud vase?

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 6:49 AM
Very nice form, Michael. It appears to be under 4" tall - correct? Nice work!

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 7:37 AM
Nothing wrong with the shape... If it's entirely hollow, you've got a gift! Nicely done.

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2010, 9:33 AM
Really a nice looking pot. Do you have a glass insert in it? I bought some and put them in those types of small pots and they sell pretty well.

Jeff Luedloff
06-18-2010, 11:19 AM
very cool turning, i like the shape. i have not yet turned any cotton wood but now after seeing yours i might have to..great job

John Hart
06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
What a cool little pot!! You should re-take the pic when you have a chance...I bet it has some nice features that we can't see here. :);)

Rob Cunningham
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
That's a cool little pot. I like the shape.

Michael James
06-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Its not hollow as Im waiting on a hollowing tool I bought from Jeff. ( Jeff, Im Jones'n here.. hint hint) Thats how I ended up here. The glass tube insert is a great idea I did not know about those. I like the mature support everywhere at least in this forum. So thanks for being here, putting your stuff up and taking the time to help us beginners.
mj

Andrew Kertesz
06-19-2010, 7:11 AM
You can get the glass tubes everywhere. Make sure your wood is dry before inserting the tube, if the form shrinks it will not come out. DAMHIKT!!