PDA

View Full Version : Call Evolution

Patrick Doody
06-17-2010, 10:16 PM
So i've been working on making a batch of duck and goose calls for my friends and family, and here is my progress:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4710803198_ee06ee4ca4_b.jpg

the first one i made is on the right and the last one i made was on the left. I can't wait to use these this fall, i'm not sure i like the shapes of #2 and #3 , i think #2 is destined for the firewood pile(from whence it came)

the 3 on the left have several coats of BLO, everything was buffed on a beall system, the 4 on the right were waxed and buffed. I'm using double reed Echo inserts for the guts.

I still have to make a few more and 3 goose calls. they have been fun projects, after the baby goes to sleep i can start and finish one before it gets too late. critiques welcome.

David E Keller
06-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Nicely done. I'll bet they are very well received by their respective recipients. You snuck a little top in there too.

John Hart
06-18-2010, 5:16 AM
Nice work....I have to say that #4 is my favorite shape of the lot. I like the top too. ;):)

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 6:42 AM
All very well done, and I agree with John on the shape of #4. It has the most pleasing form. That curly maple makes a nice looking contrast to the inserts.

Patrick Doody
06-18-2010, 7:30 AM
It's interesting that you guys picked #4 as
your favorite, on that one I was trying to get back to the look of #1, and that's what came out. The later ones I tried to copy the shape, couldn't get it exactly right. #4 is the first one I'm giving away, to my dad for fathers day. I wish I would have used some BLO on that one, but I'm experimenting with different finishes right now.

John K., you have the same lathe that I do, what beall system do you use? I think I'm leaning twords the 4" system. I've used the 8" wheels but I think on smaller bowls it wouldn't work well inside the bowls

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 8:28 AM
Patrick, I bought the 8" system, and the set of 3" bowl buffs. I have not had an opportunity to use the bowl buffs yet.

Although I think most folks buff at 1100 rpm or faster, Steve Schlumpf suggested trying around 7-800 rpm with the 8" system, and I have found that works pretty well for me. That is the belt setting that I use for bowl turning anyway, so I don't have to change the belt setting. Not that big of a deal, but not having to change is convenient. If you have the smaller wheels, you will need to bump the speed quite a bit I would imagine.

I also think the life of the larger wheels will be significantly better. I guess after enough use I will end up with 4" wheels!!!:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2010, 9:31 AM
Really nice looking calls. I also like #4 but also like #7.

Aaron Wingert
06-18-2010, 9:44 AM
Great looking calls Patrick. I really like the 2nd from the left.

You should try an extended soak in BLO on the figured maple, which I assume that is. I've done a few calls that way, and it really warms up the color of the wood and makes the figure pop. Really gives it a darker honey-colored look. I've soaked blanks for 6 weeks or more to get that effect. It offers much better protection than a simple surface application of BLO does, and duck calls can get soaked when in use!

Those Echo inserts sure do sound good.

Mike Minto
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Patrick - really cool calls; nice wood, too. I bought a bunch of kits but have yet to turn one. Have been waiting to find a mandrel - do you use one, or another method?

Patrick Doody
06-18-2010, 1:55 PM
Thanks Aaron I was going to soak the next one overnight, sounds like I'll be soaking for a longer time.

My method is this. I've been using my psi collet chuck that holds a 5/8" expanding mandrel that I picked up from enco I think it was only like $15 or so, I use the live center to help steady until I've got everything but the ends done. Then I finish with only the mandrel. Also I'm drilling the center out on the lathe with help from my nova chuck and a harbour freight drill chuck. It's a fun process, lots of tool changes. Good skew practice too, I'm not getting nearly as many catches anymore. Also using my bedan as well which is a fun tool.

John looks like I'll be picking up the 8" buffs from woodcraft this weekend. Thanks for the advice!