PDA

View Full Version : Glue?

Bobby Buff Jr
06-17-2010, 9:55 PM
I need to glue 2 blocks of black walnut together to get the thickness I want for a bowl.

What kind of glue do y'all recommend? I have both Tite Bond II and Elmer's. Will either of these do it or is there something better I need to pick up?

John Keeton
06-17-2010, 9:57 PM
Bobby, I use Titebond II Dark for walnut. Seems it gives a less visible glueline, although either of what you have will give a good strong bond.

Robert McGowen
06-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Titebond II will work for sure. I have used gallons of it glueing up turnings.

Mike McAfee
06-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Another vote for Tite Bond II

Bobby Buff Jr
06-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys. What turning I have done has always been 1 piece. I just wanted to get a few opinions.

Karl Card
06-17-2010, 11:51 PM
I have used titebond 2 and also titebond 3 for items that are going to be used for food.

I have used titebond 2 on glueing up several pieces of cedar for a bowl and it did just fine.

I do believe that both 2 and 3 are good for things that are going to be used for food but you might want to read to make sure I am right. Been awhile...

Bobby Buff Jr
06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I have used titebond 2 and also titebond 3 for items that are going to be used for food.

I have used titebond 2 on glueing up several pieces of cedar for a bowl and it did just fine.

I do believe that both 2 and 3 are good for things that are going to be used for food but you might want to read to make sure I am right. Been awhile...

Just had to say, I like your signature line!!

John Beaver
06-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Either glue will work. I personally like the Titebond products.

Make sure you keep the grain running the same direction, and the end grain curving the same direction.

Karl Card
06-18-2010, 3:27 PM
Just had to say, I like your signature line!!

Thank you very much, if you really think about it there is a big difference.