PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010- David Keller

David E Keller
06-17-2010, 9:32 PM
Well, here goes nothing. The first piece is my practical piece. It's apricot about 9x3". The finish is shellac and a couple of coats of oil. This is the first apricot I've turned, and I must say I like it. I'd like the base to be a little larger proportionately, but I wish I was taller... neither is gonna happen.

For my artsy submission, I'm bending the rules a bit. I'm submitting a trio of elm burl natural edge forms. I know the rules say one piece, but I'll accept my disqualification with dignity. The bowl is 7x4" and the other two are roughly 4" tall and 3.5" wide. All were finished with a few coats of oil.

For a quick gloat, I've got one unbelievable piece of the elm burl left for a nice hollow form, but I'm waiting on the monster to arrive before tackling it.

Your comments and criticisms are most welcome and appreciated.

Frank Van Atta
06-17-2010, 9:44 PM
I think they're all great, and I don't see why they should be disqualified - after all, it is a single grouping. I really like the two smaller pieces - the laughing hollow form and his little friend with his hand sticking up. (Although I must admit that that is one of the nicest natural edge bowls I've seen in some time.)

John Hart
06-17-2010, 9:49 PM
I vote Me too...One Set.

They are just too cool together. Can't break em up. Beautiful work David. :)

John Keeton
06-17-2010, 9:53 PM
David, at least in my mind, the trio stands as a "statement of art" much like a collage. And, beautifully done, as well!! Great flowing forms that are meant to be displayed together. Although the larger piece shows well on its own, being placed with its companions makes it whole. I chose the middle pic for the thumbnail as it presents the most balanced composition IMO.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the remaining burl and the Monster!;)

The apricot bowl is well done, and very functional in its size and shape. Nice wood, as well.

Taken together - a quality entry!!

Cathy Schaewe
06-17-2010, 10:01 PM
It doesn't sound like they'd dq you, but you could always take some double-sided tape and stick all of them to something clear - like a piece of plexiglass - and then you'd have an even better argument that it was all one piece! And you could detach it later. :D

David E Keller
06-17-2010, 10:22 PM
It doesn't sound like they'd dq you, but you could always take some double-sided tape and stick all of them to something clear - like a piece of plexiglass - and then you'd have an even better argument that it was all one piece! And you could detach it later. :D

I'll take that suggestion under advisement... I was leaning toward duct tape and posterboard, but your idea seems more classy.:D

John Keeton
06-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I'll take that suggestion under advisement... I was leaning toward duct tape and posterboard, but your idea seems more classy.:DLet me just go on record as saying the duct tape will get you an automatic DQ!!!!:D:D At least Cathy has shown us a little class with the double sided tape idea!

David DeCristoforo
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
"...duct tape will get you an automatic DQ...At least Cathy has shown us a little class with the double sided tape..."

Aww, comeon John. Duct tape not classy?!?! OK, that's it... Your mod status is revoked effective immediately...

scheech!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2010, 10:38 PM
The duct tape would be more appealing to the male audience and the Red/Green fans.:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Beauties all David! I personally like the 2 smaller ones of the trio. But that is what makes life interesting.....the differing tastes of John K..John H....KP.....

Matt Ranum
06-17-2010, 10:47 PM
That trio looks really nice David!

The duct tape would be more appealing to the male audience and the Red/Green fans.:eek:

"If the women don't find ya handsome...they should at least find ya handy."
-Red Green

Lets bow our heads and say the Man's prayer...

I am a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.
Amen.

Haven't seen that show around here for quite a while but gotta love it. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Matt,

It's on every Saturday night at 10:00 pm here.

I do enjoy it.

Curt Fuller
06-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Oh man! The Apricot bowl is nice, I really like the shape. But that trio of elm pieces is out of this world. Fantastic!

Scott Hackler
06-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Very nice David. I really liek the "trio". Did you have any problems drying the apricot?

David E Keller
06-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Very nice David. I really liek the "trio". Did you have any problems drying the apricot?

I used the DNA method to dry the apricot and developed one small crack between a couple of bug holes. I filled it with iron oxide and epoxy. You can see a bit of the filled crack on one of the photos. Other than that, it wasn't too bad.

Jon Lanier
06-18-2010, 12:36 AM
I like them all but the two smaller of the trio would be my pick(s) of the litter.

charlie knighton
06-18-2010, 1:47 AM
very nice....

alex carey
06-18-2010, 2:14 AM
all three are really cool. Nice job.

Tony Pridmore
06-18-2010, 3:28 AM
"...duct tape will get you an automatic DQ...At least Cathy has shown us a little class with the double sided tape..."

Aww, comeon John. Duct tape not classy?!?! OK, that's it... Your mod status is revoked effective immediately...

scheech!

I took John's comment to mean a freebie at the Dairy Queen. :D

Tim Rinehart
06-18-2010, 7:47 AM
Ok, I know this hasn't been said (or I didn't read it well:rolleyes:)...but great job on the elm burl trio especially. That little ensemble may be a nice trump card in the end.
Very nice job!

Mike Minto
06-18-2010, 9:03 AM
David, really nice work. Funny, I can almost hear the open forms screaming out loud! Scary!

Aaron Wingert
06-18-2010, 9:36 AM
David you're really stepping up your game! I like the functional piece a lot, but the art pieces are simply awesome. I don't know what you did to the natural edges to make them look so smooth or how you did it, but it certainly worked. I'm sure that turning the "smiling" piece had to be nerve-wracking with all that void space! Superb work.

Thom Sturgill
06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Very nice David, and nothing wrong with a trio!!

Roland Martin
06-18-2010, 1:03 PM
Wow, the elm burl artsy trio is a fantastic grouping (slow & easy:eek:!!). Not only are the forms very pleasing by themselves, biut the grain, color & finish are just great. This trio deserves a well done glass display case!
The apricot utility bowl also is very well done & certainly is a very functional piece.
Thanks for posting, David "AWESOME PIECES"

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 6:46 PM
David you're really stepping up your game! I like the functional piece a lot, but the art pieces are simply awesome. I don't know what you did to the natural edges to make them look so smooth or how you did it, but it certainly worked. I'm sure that turning the "smiling" piece had to be nerve-wracking with all that void space! Superb work.

Aaron, I used a dremel with a burr on the edges of these pieces. The exposed edge of the sapwood was rather dirty looking, and I'm too lazy to hand sand the curves, so I used the burr to clean it up and smooth it out.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Mark Hix
06-18-2010, 7:01 PM
You look at some peoples art and you go "so". For me art has to have a personality. Yours does! They could stand individually or as a group. The comment Mike made about them screaming is on the mark. I enjoyed looking at them.

Allen Neighbors
06-18-2010, 10:28 PM
David, really great entries!!
Wonderful Trio! I like the Laughing Hollowform and his little brother, Scoop
And that natural edged bowl wood stand by itself (notice my spelling gaffe?), if necessary... but they do go together! Great work!!

Steve Schlumpf
06-21-2010, 11:06 AM
David - I'm kind of late to the game here but wanted to let you know that your set of natural forms are great! Very nice work!

Toney Robertson
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
That group of NE's is very cool.

Toney

Harvey Ghesser
06-21-2010, 1:09 PM
Strong work, David! I especially like the elm-burl-trio. Realliy see them as one unit. A symbiotic relationship, if you will. The bowl (in my opinion) is well made but I feel that the foot is too elongated (just my taste here). Overall, excellent!

Harv

Baxter Smith
06-21-2010, 5:35 PM
The burl trio looks great!

Bernie Weishapl
06-21-2010, 7:27 PM
All beauties David. I agree the trio is art.