PDA

View Full Version : My first fountain pen

Tom Mullane
11-28-2004, 10:04 PM
My first fountain pen... a 10K Executive Kit from CSU... writes beautifully....
Wood is some of that bigleaf maple burl I got on eBay as a small bowl blank.. sanded to 800 then CA and sanded to 12000 and final finish of President's Choice, buffed to a high gloss and some Renaissance Wax...
The wood it is resting on is some of the curly maple that Bill B is now selling.. if you have not gotten any of this stuff, hurry, I doubt it is going to last long... this piece is what he calls his caramel curly maple...

Craig Fyock
11-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Another Great one Tom.

Michael Stafford
11-29-2004, 6:31 AM
Beautiful pen and beautiful pen photography!

Alan Ryalls
11-29-2004, 7:37 AM
hi tom,nice pen,beautiful wood,tell me over here in the uk the pen kits,to me seem quite expensive and to make a profit the total price people dont seem to want to buy.is that the case over there?
regards alan.

Tom Mullane
11-29-2004, 9:07 AM
Alan, the price of that kit is $6.99 and I can sell that pen for about $60 because it is a fountain pen (the rollerball version I get $50 and the kit is $5.99) and that is probably on the low side for a fountain pen. If I lived closer to a big city I could probably get about $75 or more for a fountain pen with real nice wood...
Most of my better pens are selling in the neighborhood of $50-60 and these are all exotic woods, antler, corn cob, etc... all in Double Twist Euro, Cigar and Perfect Fit Convertable kits... my slimlines are $20 and my streamlines $25-35 depending on wood and enhancements like custom centerbanding.
I am actually selling more of the higher price pens than the lower ones... something I did not think would happen...

Michael Stafford
11-29-2004, 9:50 AM
Tom,
Your prices are in line with what I get. However I sell the streamline, longwood and slimline all at the same price- $20. I also sell far more expensive pens than less expensive. Suits me... I figure the larger pens display the wood better...