PDA

View Full Version : Platform Bed

Jim Koepke
06-17-2010, 6:34 PM
The LOML wanted a platform bed and due to her current knee surgery it pushed other projects out of the way including some cabinets and putting a water pump in my truck. At least I got the old water pump off.

I forgot to take pictures during the making of the outside frame. It is actually fairly simple. The 2X3s were selected for their grain orientation. The edges to be jointed were smoothed with a #8 and then small areas were smoothed with a #4 or #4-1/2. The faces were also smoothed. They were marked to show the direction of planing so when they went together they would all go the same way on the show surface incase more planing was necessary to even them up or to remove glue squeeze out.

There were also 5 2X3s used across the frame for added support. These had pieces under them to keep them from sagging.

To make the alignment easier, the center piece and one of the other pieces were clamped together. Then 3 holes of 3/8" were bored through so dowels could be used for alignment of the pieces for glue up and clamping. Then, the other piece was clamped to the center and drilled. This made assembly and glue up very easy.

The dimensions were determined by actually placing boards around the mattress and deciding how much room to leave. We decided not to leave a kick space along the sides. There is 6" at the foot and about the same at the head. Eventually a head board will be made for the unit.

All the wood is either Douglas Fir or pine for the 1X lumber. The 1X12 and one 1X8 were chosen for the platform because they were cheaper than buying 2 pieces of plywood, easier for me to handle and cut to size. All the sawing was done with an old D8 crosscut saw or a Disston back saw.

The frame pieces were put together on the bedroom floor. They were pulled together by using blocks of wood around the out side and cinched with a rope using a technique similar to a truckers hitch knot. When the pieces were square, they were bored at the corners for a 3/8" dowel.

Next was making the surround for the mattress. One concern LOML had was the mattress not being able to slide around. Some 1X6 was selected and cut. The side pieces were attached by first scribing a line on the inside and using a couple of quick clamps to hold them in place while pilot holes were drilled for some 2" screws.

Clamps were used to hold the end piece in place one side at a time.

After the ends were attached, the assembly was set in place. Lines were marked to indicate where the cross beams would be for attachment with screws. The supports under the cross beams were attached with deck screws. When all the measurements and marks were made, the top was set up on its side to attach the rest of the boards making up the bottom.

It was set back on the frame and screws were driven and the project was all done but the clean up and the rounding of some corners.

This is the most solid bed frame upon which either of us can recall having ever slept.

jim

Rick Rutten
06-17-2010, 7:00 PM
Jim,

Thats a lot of cutting on those 2 x 12s. You got your work out in for the day. Nice work. I'll have to look in to using 2 x 12s vs smaller dimensions for better lumber. Although I am not too sure about ripping all of that length yet. I am not yet that good of a sawyer.

Thanks for posting,
Rick

Jim Koepke
06-17-2010, 7:07 PM
Jim,

Thats a lot of cutting on those 2 x 12s. You got your work out in for the day. Nice work. I'll have to look in to using 2 x 12s vs smaller dimensions for better lumber. Although I am not too sure about ripping all of that length yet. I am not yet that good of a sawyer.

Thanks for posting,
Rick

Rick,

I would have Popeye arms if I cut 2X12s. They were 2X3s selected from the local blue borg.

The 1X12s and 1X6s were mostly bought at a local lumber yard that has better quality wood then the borgs. They only have 2X3 on special order so I would not get to choose for the best selections.

jim

Bill Houghton
06-17-2010, 10:54 PM
The mattress makers claim that we put out something like a quart or more of water every night, and that part of the function of box springs is to give that water a direction in which to evaporate. You might consider ripping the 1x12s to leave a little gap, or drilling some holes, to avoid buildup of moisture in the mattress. That's assuming it's not a waterbed.

Jim Koepke
06-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the information, but I am not too concerned. There is some air space between the boards.

We have been living with the mattress on an "engineered" floor for a few years, so it is probably breathing better than it has been.

There is also a foam pad on top of the mattress.

We also live in an area of high humidity, so there may be no cure.

My father was in the furniture business when I was younger. Most of them will tell you anything to get you to take the box spring. Some would even mark the mattress price to the set and say the box spring was free.

Most mattresses are padding on top of springs. Many box springs are thin padding on top of thick corrugated paper board.

I wish I could lose that much water weight over night just by sleeping. I think a lot of the water loss is through breathing.

jim