PDA

View Full Version : Reliant Shaper????

Carroll Courtney
06-17-2010, 6:00 PM
Guys this shaper has a 3/4 spindle and f/r switch,but I have never heard of Reliant.Anybody have any experience w/this brand?Thanks Carroll

michael case
06-17-2010, 6:11 PM
Hi,

If my memory serves, Reliant was the in-house brand of Woodworker's Warehouse (out of business). They started out as really, really bad and progressed to just really bad. I owned one of their junk machines. I had a Reliant drill press. The chuck kept flying off and the motor shot out sparks as it struggled along. They are also now orphans and it may be impossible to service them. So I would not recommend purchasing any of the Reliant line of machines. Any that may still be kicking about were junk when new and are now old orphaned junk.

Carroll Courtney
06-17-2010, 6:35 PM
Thanks Michael,call the guy back said I'll have to pass.Thanks for the quick response-----Carroll

Chip Lindley
06-18-2010, 6:39 AM
Depends on the price Carroll! It might be a keeper. If the seller can show you how it runs smoothly, with no odd noises or vibrations, a re-thinking may be in order. If he wants $800--No Way! $400?....hmmm

There are lemons in every brand of machinery. There are also some nice ones among the lemons. A friend bought a new Reliant 8" jointer in the 90s. It was a very NICE machine!

I bought a used WoodTek (green/yellow Woodworker's Supply house brand) 3hp shaper for $400 back in the 90s. Whatta Machine! It runs smoother than my PM26!

Tony Perrone
06-18-2010, 7:04 AM
I bought a reliant shaper about 6 months ago for $40 it needed a switch, runs really nice the guys at Hamilton tool (PA) sell a switch motor replacement kit for 150.