PDA

View Full Version : Softening the rim of a bowl

Jamie Straw
06-17-2010, 4:30 PM
I can't seem to get it together when rough-turning a bowl on a reliable way to soften the rim without screwing up. OK, this is with the bottom's tenon in a chuck. I've got the direction down -- go from the body of the bowl out to the rim. I think I should use a detail or spindle gouge (not the bowl gouge) right there on the edge, as I was weaned on spindle-turning. But somehow, it never feels right and sometimes creates that "skating backwards" thing where the gouge goes in the wrong direct. [uhhhh..."direction"]

So, tips on technique? TIA!!!

Dennis Ford
06-17-2010, 4:47 PM
My opinion, worth what it cost you.

* When roughing a bowl, it doesn't have to be pretty.

* Most spindle gouges and detail gouges have a cutting angle that is difficult to use properly on the rim of a bowl. A bowl gouge is my choice, if that gave me troube, would use a scraper.

* If the bowl is already shaped, use light cuts to soften rim.

Sean Hughto
06-17-2010, 4:49 PM
What do you mean exactly by "soften?" Are you having trouble cutting the inside edge without skate and catch, or are you talking about shaping the edge as far as rounding or sloping it? Assuming you mean the later, as with all turning, think about riding the bevel and try some angles of attack with the lathe off and just hand spinning to think through how it's going to work at full speed. Also, you can start to form the rim when you are still turing the outside curve. I often use a scraping sort of cut with the wings of the gouge to do this shaping, and then don't even need to do anything more than cut the rim to thickness on its inside edge when hollowing. Boy this stuff is a lot harder to describe in words than you'd think ...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2010, 4:52 PM
Jamie,

It doesn't have to be pretty but I try to knock off the sharp corner to try to reduce the chance of splitting.

If you have Bill Grumbine's video "Turned Bowls Made Easy"...he shows you how to do it. Basically, I shear scrape it off by putting both of the Irish grind edges to the rim at the same time.....lightly....like trying to turn feathers .....and just knock off the sharp edges.

Donny Lawson
06-17-2010, 5:13 PM
I'm looking at "Softening" the edges as meaning to maybe round over the rim a little to prevent spliting.If so lay your gouge on its side and use both edges of it and do a very light round over cut on the inside and outside of the rim.This will add a slightly rounded effect and help keep it from spliting during drying.
. If your trying to take a little more off the sides and it wants to skate from the rim I usually put my bowl gouge on its side again and place it inside of the bowl down toward the bottom of the side and just let bottom part of the gouge catch the wood and pull outward toward the rim.Light pressure is all you need in this case.This is called a shear scrape and it works for me very well.
Donny

Bob Bergstrom
06-17-2010, 5:15 PM
+1 on shear scrape

Thom Sturgill
06-17-2010, 8:42 PM
Negative rake scraper aka skew gouge laid flat on the tool rest. While roughing finesse is not needed.

Allen Neighbors
06-17-2010, 9:43 PM
Jamie, I just use a bowl gouge. When it's rough, it's wide :D so I put the bevel against the center of the rim, rotate the gouge until I pick up the cut, and swing the handle away from me, and cut a curve on the inner edge. Reverse the bowl gouge and do the opposite for the outer edge. Doesn't have to be fancy... just a little bit rounded.

David E Keller
06-17-2010, 9:49 PM
I use the wing of the bowl gouge to soften the corners when roughing and often when finish turning(scraping cut)... Lots of ways to skin that cat I suppose.