PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Fill beyond borders of object?

James Terry
06-17-2010, 3:55 PM
I was experimenting with Dee's little celtic knot heart and I found an error that I dont quite understand. It seems as if the pattern fill for one of the inside hearts is going outside of the boundary and basically forms a square around the heart. It doesnt look like this in the art nor does it on print preview or with a paper printed output, just the engraver... Any ideas why this is happening?

I believe this was a V10 or 12 file and I am using X4.

http://webglider.com/laser/2010/DSC07141a.JPG (http://webglider.com/laser/2010/DSC07141a.JPG)

Dan Hintz
06-20-2010, 8:16 AM
The fill was most likely placed in a box (rather than a heart-shaped area), which was then covered by the outer portions of the heart design. I cannot tell the reason without looking at the file, but it's likely X4 may deal with hidden object removal a bit differently, and in this instance the difference shows.

Dee Gallo
06-20-2010, 5:40 PM
I took the design apart and the cross hatch pattern is only inside the smaller heart shape... how it got extended out to the edge is beyond me!

However, from the position and shape of the "mistake", it looks like there was a duplicate made somehow and flipped so the pointy part would be up and you are looking at the lobes. This duplicate must be underneath the other pieces.

Ungroup the whole thing and see if you can grab it.. maybe it's invisible?

cheers, dee

James Terry
06-20-2010, 7:42 PM
Thanks for looking at it that way. But no, the fill is essentially a box around the largest size of the heart and then filled. It is a continuation of the single heart fill, it doesnt display, it doesnt print preview and it doesnt print on a monochrome laser printer. But ya know, I should try the bubble jet or color laser to see what happens.

But so far, it almost acts as if the laser is doing the magic problem here. I have tried a pattern fill with a couple other items and get the same result. Solid color fill is not an issue, just pattern fill. It seems like it is essentially printing the square that is the repeating pattern, and not masking it in the outline.

I wonder if the issue could have something to do with the tiny nature of this object. Perhaps the pattern fill is larger than the heart and it cant print any less than itself... Bah, i could come up with ideas all day. I guess i need to mess with it more.

Dee Gallo
06-20-2010, 8:05 PM
What's bothering me about that is that when I used my laser it did not do that. It's going to take someone a lot smarter than I am to explain this one.

:confused: dee

Bruce Dillingham
06-20-2010, 9:43 PM
I had the same problem a while back doing a powerclip. Never found the issue. Re did the picture and it went away.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=126659

Doug Griffith
06-20-2010, 9:54 PM
It could be a driver or odd Corel issue. I'm not a Corel user but in Illustrator, I would just expand the pattern (convert to outlines) and then intersect with the inner heart essentially confining the pattern to the heart shape. There must be a Corel equivalent.

Ron Chapellaz
06-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I've used Dee's heart and it worked just fine. Here's a pic of it. I must admit computer programs can get wonky at times!

ian stewart
06-22-2010, 7:28 AM
could someone point me to the location of this heart would love to try it

failed to find with search

Dee Gallo
06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
could someone point me to the location of this heart would love to try it

failed to find with search

Ian, if you send me your email via PM, I will send it to you. I don't know which thread it was on, but the file was missing anyway last time someone else was looking for it.

cheers, dee

Niklas Bjornestal
06-24-2010, 2:27 AM
It might be something with laserpro's drivers since all ppl having trouble with powercliping seems to be using laserpro lasers. I have also had "trouble" when using powercliping.

Mike Null
06-24-2010, 7:35 AM
Dee

The forum software will point you to the previous thread if you try to post the file again.