PDA

View Full Version : Some New Stuff to Share

Chris Stolicky
06-17-2010, 3:30 PM
I don't post very many things I make, so here is some of the latest things I have finished.

1st - Fish pen. Not overly original on my part, but cool. Father's Day gift.
2nd - Two more of my 'cigar' style pens, wenge and ebony. Never mind the dust in the pic. I need to clean my sensor one of these days....
3rd - A piece of oak burl cut off I got from George Guadiane at one of our club meetings. It started at about 3/4" thick, lots of small cracks, mostly dry, and warped. I cut out two circles and this is the first one. About 8" in diameter. I love the figure in this wood. (gotta love the pen stand as a holder!) Danish oil.

John Keeton
06-17-2010, 3:37 PM
Nice work on the pens, Chris. That oak is really beautiful!! Well done. Are the pics of the front and back of the platter?

John Hart
06-17-2010, 3:45 PM
Yup..nice work on everything Chris. The platter looks like Jupiter. :)

bob svoboda
06-17-2010, 4:05 PM
Very nice. Funny, I see Jupiter too. Must be the laquer (hic)....

Chris Stolicky
06-17-2010, 4:08 PM
Thanks guys.

Yes, it is the front and back of the platter. Haven't decided how to sign it yet. The Danish oil also has not fully cured (smell test).

I thought the grain, along with the oak rays, looks kind of like a sunrise.

John Hart
06-17-2010, 8:08 PM
....I thought the grain, along with the oak rays, looks kind of like a sunrise.

Ok...I can see that. Bob's right....the whole Jupiter thing musta been lacquer induced. :);)

Allen Neighbors
06-17-2010, 10:00 PM
I like 'em all... but especially the cigars. Those are really cool! And the burl... gorgeous!!

David DeCristoforo
06-17-2010, 10:10 PM
A pen is a pen. But that platter is a real "bell ringer". The wood is spectacular and the simplicity of the form is perfect. I have a hard time showing that much restraint!

David E Keller
06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
I love the pens especially the cigar style.

The oak is gorgeous, and the simple shape shows it off nicely.

Frank Van Atta
06-18-2010, 1:18 AM
That's one beautiful platter.