PDA

View Full Version : Meet the new Norm?

Kevin Gregoire
06-17-2010, 3:29 PM
looks like WGBH will have a new show to take over where Norm left off.

Rough Cut – Woodworking with Tommy Mac
http://www.wwgoa.com/media/images/tommy-macdonald-1.jpg

check out the article over at Woodworkers Guild of America wwgoa.com and search for norm

John Keeton
06-17-2010, 3:40 PM
Kevin, Tommy had several very good threads last year in the Projects Forum as I recall, and use to have some great videos on his website. I have not checked to see if it is still up.

I would think he will do a great job with it.

David Weaver
06-17-2010, 3:54 PM
Wow...that site is tough to read - it's a huge ad farm, complete with the "you need to buy XXX" articles. It also had an article that claimed LN planes are honed and ready to go out of the box - even LN doesn't claim that. :rolleyes:

That said, Tommy's show should be good if he can do it the same way he did the online videos. There will be more joint fitting and design talk and less radial arm dados and pinning brads.

He definitely does a different style of work vs norm, one that more people are trying to get into, I think.

Dave Johnson29
06-17-2010, 9:12 PM
Wow...that site is tough to read - it's a huge ad farm, complete with the "you need to buy XXX" articles.

:D You need to use Firefox browser. What ads? I didn't see no stinking ads.

Leigh Betsch
06-17-2010, 9:14 PM
I may even tune in to see Tommy (and I only watch 1 or 2 hrs of TV a month). A true furniture maker from the git go! Maybe even in the same league as David Marks.

Kevin Gregoire
06-17-2010, 9:45 PM
are we not allowed to post links to articles on other sites if credit is given to that site?

and david, im pretty sure that WWGOA would not have any xxx ads on there site, you got something going wrong with your system or browser.

John Keeton
06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
are we not allowed to post links to articles on other sites if credit is given to that site?Kevin, it was the direct link to a site that is, in effect, a forum that creates the problem.

"Links to other public or private forums are not allowed."

David Weaver
06-18-2010, 7:51 AM
are we not allowed to post links to articles on other sites if credit is given to that site?

and david, im pretty sure that WWGOA would not have any xxx ads on there site, you got something going wrong with your system or browser.

No, XXX doesn't have anything to do with that. It was my attempt to mean "fill in the blank" with whatever is being discussed. "you must have this dust collection device in your shop"..." yadda yadda makes this a must have for any woodworker".

I don't know anything about the site, and I could be wrong, but it looks like it's set up to sell ad space more than anything else, complete with the "everything is good" reviews and enormous amounts of screen real estate covered with banners. I can't much get into sites like that - there are way too many of them and not enough of "this is a product you don't really need unless you're the 1% of people who do YYYY often".

(I didn't get any popups, I sit at work behind something equivalent to fort knox and am surprised I can get to many sites).