PDA

View Full Version : Old Delta 10" Table Saw

Keith Blaszak
06-17-2010, 3:04 PM
Well I've been building a shop in my two car garage slowly for the better part of a year. I've re-run electrical, lighting, built work benches and sunk my planer and Router into my work table. I've also installed an overhead dust collection system that i've spidered out to all of my equipment however I've run into a problem....

I'm looking to add a dust collection port to my older Delta 10" table saw which has an open bottomed stand. Initially I was thinking about using some sheet metal to close in the bottom and route all sawdust and chips to a 6" port but I don't want the motor to overheat. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm a hobbiest so the saw is almost never running for extended periods of time but just didn't want to seal it in a blow the motor.

Bill White
06-17-2010, 4:15 PM
There's a bottom-mount panel with a 4" duct outlet that you can use. Not being familiar with the configuration with your particular saw, this might work if the sides are closed.
Grizzley has one that I use on my G0444Z.
Bill

george wilson
06-17-2010, 4:31 PM
Someone offers a canvas bag to attach to the bottom of your type saw. It catches sawdust and will allow better circulation. Isn't your motor hanging out the back,though?

Joseph Tarantino
06-17-2010, 8:12 PM
is that a cabinet, hybrid or contractor delta TS?

Steven Green
06-18-2010, 2:25 AM
+1 on the bag deal. I use one on jobsites to make the cleanup easier and the lady of the house happier. Works great for what it is.

Steve Bigelow
06-18-2010, 3:07 AM
Both sheet metal and MDF would work fine to close in the bottom, but I'd probably go with MDF.

-Steve

Chip Lindley
06-18-2010, 6:12 AM
Regardless of saw type, enclosing the floor will not hurt the motor. Find a solution that works best for you and GO FOR IT to suck up all that sawdust!

Many solutions have been offered here in past threads. Do a search for tablesaw dust collection and see the hits.

Richard Dragin
06-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Why stop with the dust collection? Build a cabinet and it'll dampen a lot of vibration along with many other benefits.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/DraginRichard/Picture011-1.jpg

Keith Blaszak
06-18-2010, 11:41 AM
is that a cabinet, hybrid or contractor delta TS?

I believe it's a Hybrid although its not fully enclosed on the bottom in the front and back.

George,
The motor is set under the table and not out the back. I don't know if Delta changed the design but im guessing that this is late 70's early 80's model. (My father used this TS to build a house in the mid 80s)
The bag is a good idea but I really wanted to take advantage of the DC system that I have in place so all the dust is going to the same spot.

Richard Dragin,
I like the idea of building a cabinet but i'm limited on space. This table saw sits level with a 9' work bench so I really don't have the room to expand unfortunately.

I think im going to enclose the bottom with MDF and make a port for the DC Pipe.

Thankyou eveyone that posted!