PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear...

Carole Valentine
11-28-2004, 7:35 PM
I have just finally gotten a handle on sharpening a straight edge on tools and then I go and order a lathe. Now I realize I am going to have to learn to sharpen those "half round things." I did not get a real expensive set of tools to start...the 5 pc Henry Taylor set from LV...but I am wondering if I shouldn't get some really cheap ones to practice sharpening on? Should I just jump in and attempt to hone the Taylors out of the box and worry about grinding when they need it? :confused:

Andy London
11-28-2004, 7:52 PM
Hi Carole,

The biggest thing I see folks doing is grinding their tools and watching them disappear, they only really need a light touch on the grinder to hone the edge back.

I would encourage you to look at the Wolverine grinding jig with the vari grind attachment, it makes putting a perfect edge back on your tools very, very easy. My 13 year old sharpens all his own lathe tools now, only took 30 min of showing him how with the Wolverine.

Andy

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 8:18 PM
I agree with Andy...a light touch and a quality jig to breed consistancy is all you need. Even the "pros" use the jigs these days; very few grind free-hand any more. Don't worry about your tools..."practicing" on cheap tools will not benefit you much and the reality is that you don't take off that much metal even with a slightly heavy hand. Tools are meant to be used and used up...and some of that is part of the learning process. Also, don't be afraid to get some mentoring from an experienced turner. The best way for that is to find the local chapter of the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org/) in your area, join and attend the meetings. You'll find mentors galore! (If there is no group in your area, the AAW does have a very good sharpening video available and it's orderable via their web site)

John Shuk
11-28-2004, 8:49 PM
Harbor freight tools has a set of high speed steel tools for about 30 dollars. Not only is it a bargain for the steel alone but they are also decent tools with some pretty nice grinds to start with, I love the 2 large spindle gouges and turn to them often. You won't be disappointed.

Carl Eyman
11-28-2004, 9:00 PM
I bought a Wolverine Jig and a new grinder and bought a CHEAP set of Harbor Freight tools. $10 for eight pieces. With these I tried out my jig and kept only the roughing gouge which I use and the wide scraper which I use very seldom. I gave most away to a new turner and have a few I don't know what to do with. I think it was worth it.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-28-2004, 10:55 PM
The $10.00 set of tools from HF is not worth the time or money, however, I did buy the $30.00 set of HSS tools and they are very good.

I'm getting the Wolverine jig set and Woodsrafts Slow speed grinder for Christmas.

Woodcraft got tired of me coming just to "Touch up a tool or so." HeHe

LOML is springing, or I would have them now.

Bruce - Just gotta LOVE that woman!

Ernie Hobbs
11-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Does anyone else use a benchtop belt sander to sharpen tools? I am not as confident with a grinder and feel like It is too easy to screw up a good chisel on a grinding wheel- free hand. With a high grit sanding belt, I find it relatively easy and fast to run the edge across the belt and get a very good edge. Then over to the buffing wheel to finish. Is this completely unusual or are there any other woodworkers out there do this?

Ernie Hobbs
Madison, AL

Tom Morton
11-29-2004, 7:46 AM
Carole
For what it is worth, I have the Harbor Freight $30 set along with three more drawers of Sorbys, Taylors, Crowns and and . . . . . . .as well as the wolverine jig with vari grind attachment. Wolverine is made by Oneway who has an excellent How to on their web site. Oneway has a DVD on using the grinding system they will mail you for free. The wolverine systen is set up for an 8" grinder
Hope this helps

Bill Grumbine
11-29-2004, 8:38 AM
Hi Carole

When your video arrives, you will find a section on sharpening. I use a Wolverine jig, which of course means more money, but even without it to start, if you use a light touch, you will not be grinding away too much metal. By way of example, I used to turn nothing but pens, and I only used two tools, a roughing gouge and a 1/2" spindle gouge. Despite using them extremely heavily, almost daily, the spindle gouge lasted for over three years before it was ground down too short to use. The roughing gouge is still in service, almost 12 years after I bought it. It does not see the use it once did, but it still gets use, and compared to a new one for length, it has lost a little over an inch of length. All this was done freehand - i.e. without a jig.

Good luck with the new lathe!

Bill

Richard Allen
11-29-2004, 9:08 AM
Hi Carol

Perhaps Bruce could show you how to sharpen. It is an easy process that you will be doing a LOT. There are some variations on sharpening. Several different jigs are available as well as many home made jigs. You can also sharpen freehand.

Most turners use a bench grinder and most of those are 8" half speed grinders. You can use a 6" full speed grinder as well. Some use a 1" wide belt sander. The commercial jigs were designed for use with a bench grinder so as the jigs became more popular the use of a belt sander became less common. Some people use a Tormeck sharpening system. Some turners are fond of diamond hones. For some of the speciality tools the diamond hone is the only suitable choice for sharpening.

The point is that there are a LOT of different ways to sharpen your lathe tools. Try a few different systems (ask around at your club for who uses what kind of sharpening system) to see which method you like. Latch onto the person who has the system you like and make them your sharpening mentor. In a few weeks you will be sharpening as well as anyone. In a few months you will stop doubting you ability to create a sharp edge.

Good Luck