PDA

View Full Version : Freud FT3000 experience?

Chris Harry
06-17-2010, 6:10 AM
Looking for a powerful table-only router that has good above the table features. Right now the FT3000 seems to be "the one", but Im a little worried about the fact that its hard to find recent reviews. Coupled with the fact that I read about closeout pricing, a lot of online stores that dont have it, and one place (Ace Tool) listing it as a clearance item, Im looking for some reassurance.

So, any real world experience?

The backup plan is the good ole Milwaukee 5625, Ive found plenty of experience with that one!

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

John Keeton
06-17-2010, 6:29 AM
Chris, I installed mine in 2008, and love it. The thread is here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=90392). I am not sure of Freud's intentions with this router, and the comments you are seeing may be because of some newer version that is anticipated. But, I have been very satisfied with mine. It has plenty of power, and the above the table adjustments are a breeze.

scott spencer
06-17-2010, 6:41 AM
Chris - I've got the smaller FT1700, an MW5625, and saw the FT3000 demoed at a show but do not own one personally. I've been really happy with the features of FT1700...I can only imagine that the FT3000 is a beefier version with the same features. The 5625 is also an excellent workhorse and is hard to go wrong with, but I prefer the convenience of the above table features of the FT1700 and I rarely need more power.

Zach England
06-17-2010, 8:26 AM
Why would you want a plunge router for a dedicated table router?

I had a FT3000 and sold it about a week ago because I just didn't need two high-power plunge routers. I also have a Dewalt 625 that I already have a bunch of accessories for.

For the router table I use the Milwaukee you mention.

I think the Freud was very similar to the Dewalt. Honestly I did not use it enough to have much of an opinion.

Again, why a plunge router?

Chris Harry
06-17-2010, 8:35 AM
Why would you want a plunge router for a dedicated table router?

I had a FT3000 and sold it about a week ago because I just didn't need two high-power plunge routers. I also have a Dewalt 625 that I already have a bunch of accessories for.

For the router table I use the Milwaukee you mention.

I think the Freud was very similar to the Dewalt. Honestly I did not use it enough to have much of an opinion.

Im not set on a plunge router (or any type for that matter), but I am looking for a router with good above the table features. The milwaukee has decent above the table features, but the Freud seems to get better ratings in that department (specifically for the easier above the table bit changes)

One of the few reviews I read also mentioned metal parts in certain places vs plastic on the Milwaukee. So possibly a higher durability issue, though I cannot confirm that.

Curt Harms
06-17-2010, 8:41 AM

I don't intend to speak for Chris, but the reason I went with an FT2000E in a table was the ability to get the benefits of a router lift without spending more for the lift than for the router. A 3+ h.p. router & lift are getting into small shaper territory pricewise. Some say you can't use small router bits in a shaper, some say you can. I've never used a lift so I can't compare the two, but the Freud FT2000E and router raizer does what I need it to do and seems stable & accurate. If I were buying a router primarily for table usage today, I'd look at the bigger Triton as well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Jerome Hanby
06-17-2010, 8:49 AM
Mine rocks. I got it on the special Woodcraft was running a few months back (where you basically paid fo the router and got their router table/fence system for about $75). Only "gripe" I have is it would take a ton of turning with the supplied knob to radically change the height (say to change bits). Ten bucks at HF for a hex bit and a speed driver took care of that problem and the supplied knob works great for fine tuning. The above table controls for locking the shaft for bit changes is great. It does have the same drawback I grok all above the table adjustments would have, you get wood dust in the recesses, but so far my bench brush has been sufficient to clear the debris.

Here (http://www.amazon.com/Freud-RTS5300-FT3000VCE-Micro-Adjustable-Aluminum/dp/B000X34D8Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1276778755&sr=8-3) is an amazon link to what I purchased.

Chris Harry
06-17-2010, 8:58 AM
I don't intend to speak for Chris, but the reason I went with an FT2000E in a table was the ability to get the benefits of a router lift without spending more for the lift than for the router. A 3+ h.p. router & lift are getting into small shaper territory pricewise. Some say you can't use small router bits in a shaper, some say you can. I've never used a lift so I can't compare the two, but the Freud FT2000E and router raizer does what I need it to do and seems stable & accurate. If I were buying a router primarily for table usage today, I'd look at the bigger Triton as well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Exactly. The only lift + motor combo I would buy is the PC 7518 and Woodpecker lift. Since I cant afford that, the next best thing is a router with the "lift" built in.

The large Triton is also on the list. Its down to the 5625, TRA001 (or TRC001 whichever) and the Freud 3000VCE

The Freud is also the most expensive, which is why I would ask for more real world experience. Is it worth the extra $$$, especially if its either being discontinued or replaced. The Triton is a good option, but I still worry about the status of whoever bought them out. The 5625 is the cheapest, has the best track record, but doesnt seem to be as table-friendly as the other 2.

Zach England
06-17-2010, 9:18 AM

Logical enough.

Van Huskey
06-17-2010, 1:47 PM
I have the big Freud, works well enough in a table and has plenty of power. I use a hex driver in a power screwdriver to lift it for blade changes. The big Triton is equally as good maybe even a touch easier to raise/lower. Between the two I would get the one I found the best deal on. They are really the only two routers I would have without a lift.