PDA

View Full Version : What tool/machine do you want but just can't justify the cost?

Van Huskey
06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Do you have a tool or machine that you find yourself lookng at in catalogs, internet or stores that you just WANT but are pretty sure you would never get the value out of if bought new. You know the one you look for on CL hoping to find a scorned wife willing to sell one for 1/10th its value just to teach her cheatin' hubby a lesson.

For me it is a shaper, I have used them and love them but when tooling is considered I just don't see how I would get the value out of one. I rarely have the need for moulding and the rare times I use big ole bits it is not a big deal to take several passes.

I must admit there have been numerous tools I have bought for one project that I didn't think I would use again and later I wondered how I ever lived without it, maybe the shaper would be the same but until some woodworker with a cherry PM27 makes his wife wanna sell me one for $300 I ust don't see me learing this lesson.

Rick Akl
06-17-2010, 12:23 AM
It's been a lathe for me...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2010, 12:32 AM
A real...full size 20" planar with a spiral head cutter. Just can't justify it....but I still drool!

Dave MacArthur
06-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Festool track saw. Unfortunately, a shop-made zero-clearance circular saw guide and Black&Decker circ saw do a pretty good job of cutting panels up, when I need more accuracy it's quick to run them over the cabinet saw.

Shaper is the exact same as you... I have one available to use, I like it, but only use one set for frame/panel and raised panel. I can't see myself using one enough to justify tooling.

Rick Markham
06-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Any big tool at this point... I've run out of room except for room for a lathe... Unfortuantely that deal of a lifetime hasn't shown up yet around here. I was saddened recently, a 15" Grizzly planer was available to me for 350... I really didn't want to have to pass on it. Im just not sure I can live with it in my living room :D

Joe Chritz
06-17-2010, 1:10 AM
Haven't found any yet just several that are waiting for proper funds or a need on a paying project.

I just missed a large edge sander, which I should have upped my bid on and I want a Domino but haven't had the pressing need yet.

Joe

Steve Bracken
06-17-2010, 1:11 AM
A wide belt sander would be nice and oh ... a CNC Router.

Victor Robinson
06-17-2010, 1:11 AM
A large collection of expensive handtools like all sorts of planes, handsaws, chisels, etc. I just suck at sharpening and using them. Everytime I need to do something by hand I just screw up the workpiece.

Jason Hallowell
06-17-2010, 2:18 AM
For me it would be a Byrd head for my planer. A wide belt sander would be really nice too, but I don't know where I'd put it.

Adam Strong
06-17-2010, 2:51 AM
Currently it would be a Lathe... there seemed to be plenty of deals on CL until I decided to I had the room for one, now i can't seem to find much. "Good things come, to those who wait."

Rich Engelhardt
06-17-2010, 7:11 AM
- Any 220/230V tool.

Cost of running a sub panel to the garage is holding me back.

- That "third" Festool which would allow me to spread the cost of the Festool CT mini vac out among three tools. I have the TS55 saw and can justify a sander - but - the third Festool tool has me stymied.

- 3HP compressor and/or a good HVLP turbine.

- A "monster" DC. Something that would suck up a bowling ball.

- Some top shelf hand planes & chisels.

I'm going to have to stop there. This is kind of depressing :(.

Paul McGaha
06-17-2010, 7:48 AM
I would say an edge sander, Maybe a mid sized lathe.

For me it's as much about lack of floor space as it is about the cost of the tool.

I've just finished a couple months of reworking my shop to accomadate some tool upgrades (Larger Dust Collector, Planer, Shaper).

I doubt I'll bring in any more stationary tools into my current shop (A 2 car garage) as there is only so much room for tools and to have the shop comfortble to work in.

PHM

Larry Fox
06-17-2010, 8:15 AM
Shaper or Wide Belt Sander

John Shuk
06-17-2010, 8:54 AM
Almost anything with a Festool label.

Mitchell Andrus
06-17-2010, 9:00 AM
The Stinger that I'm going to win.

Nathan Palenski
06-17-2010, 9:01 AM
One of mine was a lathe until I found a full size grizzly for $40 on craigslist. Great tool especially for the cost. I think I paid more for the HSS chisels to use with it.

I'd say a proper slider/cabinet/SS. I have a decent hybrid saw but can't see paying $1k+ for a decent one. Havent found a good enough deal on craigslist to drop the dough.

Bill Huber
06-17-2010, 9:02 AM
If I had the space I would like to have a nice wide drum sander. It sure would be nice for panels.

I had a chance to get one and missed it but if I would have got it I don't know where I would put it, just don't have the space.

Bob Hallowell
06-17-2010, 9:06 AM
- Any 220/230V tool.

- That "third" Festool which would allow me to spread the cost of the Festool CT mini vac out among three tools. I have the TS55 saw and can justify a sander - but - the third Festool tool has me stymied.

If it is an attached Garage why don't you run it your self. It's not that hard and would only cost you $200 in wire and panel.

Bob

Chip Lindley
06-17-2010, 9:12 AM
First and foremost, a plot of land to build a 30x50 shop building!!!! Then a CNC Router!! Lots of insert tooling for my shapers, Byrd 20" spiral head, a modern 12" jointer with spiral head! A good metal lathe and milling machine for fabricating machine parts. A nice MIG welder, A TIG welder....the list goes on and on.....

Zach England
06-17-2010, 9:14 AM
festool domino

Eric DeSilva
06-17-2010, 9:17 AM
Dream big.

I'm going with the water jet cutter, myself.

Larry Browning
06-17-2010, 9:21 AM
It is a full size bandsaw (like maybe that 17" Grizzly!). I have the bandsaw attachment for my Shopsmith, I use it to cut curves and stuff, but it really sucks at resawing, and the bearings (or something in there) squeels like crazy after about 5-10 minutes of running. I haven't been spending much time in the shop lately, and when I do, the bandsaw doesn't get much use. But, I have a spot reserved for it, and I find myself looking at them in every catalog and WW store I go into.
Oh well, someday:rolleyes:
With that said, I have read some of these posts, and realize I already have much of what others are wishing for. Like the dedicated and spacious shop, lathe, good dust collection, etc. I am really thankful for what I do have! I can build just about anything I care to build with the tools I already have. (Hope SWMBO doesn't read this!)

Dan Friedrichs
06-17-2010, 9:37 AM
A BIG Felder slider. Someone on my local CL is tempting me with one.... But first, I guess I need that 30x50 shop that Chip is getting :)

Joe Leigh
06-17-2010, 9:37 AM
For me it's a Leigh FMT Pro. I just can't justify the cost when measured against how many times I'll use it. But it would sure look cool in my shop....

David G Baker
06-17-2010, 9:38 AM
It is not a wood working tool I want. A mid range plasma cutter is the toy I want but can't justify the $.

glenn bradley
06-17-2010, 9:47 AM
Oscillating edge sander, wide belt/drum sander and a floor standing spiral head planer keep rotating through my "gotta haves" list in my mind. Everything else I am pretty happy with.

Jeff Duncan
06-17-2010, 9:48 AM
I've got a shop full of big machines I couldn't justify buying new....that's why I bought them all used:D
Right now I'm thinking about a new edgebander and a panel saw, but just as with my other tools, the new prices are enough to keep them out of my reach. Which is why I'll buy those used also;)

JeffD

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2010, 9:54 AM
A Kubota .....

Stan Mitchell
06-17-2010, 9:58 AM
A big ol' wide belt sander would be oh so handy to have.

A wide belt sander would take up a 1/4 of my shop space when said and done - so I'd likely have to build that new shop several folks have mentioned.

Jim Rimmer
06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
First and foremost, a plot of land to build a 30x50 shop building!!!! Then a CNC Router!! Lots of insert tooling for my shapers, Byrd 20" spiral head, a modern 12" jointer with spiral head! A good metal lathe and milling machine for fabricating machine parts. A nice MIG welder, A TIG welder....the list goes on and on.....
+1 on a big shop. If I can't get that, then a giant shoehorn to get anymore equipment into my existing shop.

Montgomery Scott
06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Holtey hand plane. $11k for a hand plane, no matter how beautiful, is more than I can justify for the results it generates.

I can justify paying $30k for a Euro saw so that will hopefully be my next big purchase.

Harlan Theaker
06-17-2010, 11:53 AM
A wide belt sander... maybe one day.

John Pratt
06-17-2010, 12:08 PM
I drool over the full size CNC machines, just cant justify that much money when it would only compliment traditional woodworking exploits.

John Nesmith
06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
1) Domino: Doesn't take up much room, but hard to justify the cost.
2) Lathe: Good deals on used ones come along occasionally, but I don't have the room.
3) Wide belt sander: Don't have the room, nor can I justify the cost.

Kent A Bathurst
06-17-2010, 12:17 PM
......wide belt sander

+1

Willard Foster
06-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Portable sawmill and a tractor with an end loader to move logs. And 20 acres in Eastern Tennesse. Gotta have rooom for eh sawmill....

Guess he wife will get her long arm quilting machine at the same time.

Bill

Callan Campbell
06-17-2010, 1:36 PM
:o- As others have posted, when you're "space challenged", more machines or tools, or just thinking about buying them sort of turns your stomach and dizzies your head.:rolleyes:
Of course......., if space was NOT an issue......:D
A wide belt sander, an edge sander, a 15" or 20" planer, full power[3HP or 5HP] dust collector cyclone with spiral metal collection pipes-[Yeah buddy, I dream big! when it comes to upgrading my DC system:p:p:p]
I aleady own too much of everything else and tend to lose it in the shop from time to time due to the piling up of ,um, stuff...:o

Paul Johnstone
06-17-2010, 1:44 PM
I want one of those elves from the fairy tales that cleans your shop,etc while you sleep.

Oh, and since we are dreaming, make the elf look like Jessica Alba :)

Actually, I'll vote for the huge detached shop building. Not allowed to build one in my neighborhood.

Nathan Palenski
06-17-2010, 2:35 PM
I want one of those elves from the fairy tales that cleans your shop,etc while you sleep.

Shop cleaning elf (http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-110-Dirt-Workshop-Robot/dp/B000OQAMOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1276798697&sr=8-1).

doug faist
06-17-2010, 3:14 PM
Van - I've lusted after a Micro Fence Plunge Base and Edge Guide for my PC 310 for a couple years now. But at $500 for the privilege, it's just not in the cards for a while.

I really admire the precision and repeatability of this tool so I'll just keep making do while I save up the pennies.

Doug

David Prince
06-17-2010, 3:40 PM
Shop cleaning elf (http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-110-Dirt-Workshop-Robot/dp/B000OQAMOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1276798697&sr=8-1).

That shop elf doesn't look like Jessica Alba :)

Nathan Palenski
06-17-2010, 4:01 PM
That shop elf doesn't look like Jessica Alba :)

To fix that drink another beer.

Jeff Monson
06-17-2010, 4:15 PM
Felder KF700 :( I will own one!!!!

Bill White
06-17-2010, 4:24 PM
It is a full size bandsaw (like maybe that 17" Grizzly!). I have the bandsaw attachment for my Shopsmith, I use it to cut curves and stuff, but it really sucks at resawing, and the bearings (or something in there) squeels like crazy after about 5-10 minutes of running. I haven't been spending much time in the shop lately, and when I do, the bandsaw doesn't get much use. But, I have a spot reserved for it, and I find myself looking at them in every catalog and WW store I go into.
With that said, I have read some of these posts, and realize I already have much of what others are wishing for. Like the dedicated and spacious shop, lathe, good dust collection, etc. I am really thankful for what I do have! I can build just about anything I care to build with the tools I already have. (Hope SWMBO doesn't read this!)

"I have the bandsaw attachment for my Shopsmith"
I've got the old Magna (Shopsmith forerunner) and use it with a "Woodslicer" blade all the time. Change out the bearings and go to work. Quit bein' a slacker.....Get in the shop.

Oh I forgot.....I want a jointer.
Bill

Milind Patil
06-17-2010, 4:42 PM
EVERY TOOL ON GRIZZLY.COM THAT IS PRICED IN FOUR FIGURE :D Well, except my beloved G0690 table saw. I have it and will justify it to death any time, any place :cool:

Neal Clayton
06-17-2010, 7:03 PM
a tenoner. dialing in copes with a micrometer then having to change it all again for the stick profile gets old. it'd be nice to have a dedicated tenoner to eliminate that for doors and windows.

Kent A Bathurst
06-17-2010, 7:06 PM

I have to at least open another one, since you just made me spit the first one all over the monitor.

Lance Norris
06-17-2010, 7:16 PM
I am very happy with my shop, but... I would like to replace the only Craftsman tool I have, a 16" scroll saw, although its done a fine job for me. I keep looking at that Dewalt DW788 and Van has hit it right on the head for me, I look at CL, Ebay, and Amazon daily watching and hoping for a deal on this tool, and I dont even need it. But... I want it.

eugene thomas
06-17-2010, 7:42 PM
has to be the domino mean if by that then have to get the vacume wiht it.

Van Huskey
06-17-2010, 7:54 PM
has to be the domino mean if by that then have to get the vacume wiht it.

Would that be the Domino effect... :D:D:D

Joseph Tarantino
06-17-2010, 7:57 PM

+2. my friends tell me i have enough tools to build a small house and everything in it and plumb and wire it. while a 30x50 shop would be wonderful, i'd settle for a nice, deep shop, a little larger than a good sized two car garage.

Mark Woodmark
06-17-2010, 9:43 PM
I have two. A dovetail machine (not just a dovetail jig) and a CNC router table. I also dont have the room for the size router table I want

Van Huskey
06-17-2010, 9:55 PM
I have two. A dovetail machine (not just a dovetail jig) and a CNC router table. I also dont have the room for the size router table I want

I went with a friend to one of his subs cabnet shop and he had a Laguna DT machine running, very cool. We were there about an hour and the guy running it did over 30 drawers! For me it would be a very cool machine but hard to justify doing 30 drawers a YEAR vs an hour. Maybe I could rent time on it... :D

Rick Fisher
06-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I went with a friend to one of his subs cabnet shop and he had a Laguna DT machine running, very cool. We were there about an hour and the guy running it did over 30 drawers! For me it would be a very cool machine but hard to justify doing 30 drawers a YEAR vs an hour. Maybe I could rent time on it... :D

Van.. Shop fox has a smaller 16" machine that only does about 15 drawers per hour.. In case you want to settle.

I would love to have a 24" Euro Planer, with all the fixings. I am not snobby.. I would take a Martin, Felder, SCM.. I am very reasonable that way..

Van Huskey
06-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Van.. Shop fox has a smaller 16" machine that only does about 15 drawers per hour.. In case you want to settle.

I would love to have a 24" Euro Planer, with all the fixings. I am not snobby.. I would take a Martin, Felder, SCM.. I am very reasonable that way..

Rick, I just don't think I could settle, if I can't make a years worth of drawers in an hour then I just ain't playin' their game! :D

You are really resonable... :) I am not I want a Format4 Plan 51L or nothing!

Leigh Betsch
06-17-2010, 11:56 PM
CNC router!
Ok even better would be a tig welder, the money, and the time to build one.

Jon Lanier
06-18-2010, 12:45 AM
I can't think of to many things with the way the question is formed. If I had the space, not to many tools would not be justified. If I had the money, the tool would not be justified.

Now if we are talking because I don't have enough room... or my wife would kill me because I bought the tool. That would be another question.

And the answer for me would be a Laser. Man... I would love one of those! But I probably wouldn't do anything with it to make money. I'd just use it on my own work. Mostly my turnings.

Mark Woodmark
06-18-2010, 4:23 AM

I would want one that does through dovetails. I have looked at the Omec's and the Dodd's. I would also like to have a large bed plotter with a knife blade instead of a pen so I can make patterns more easily than I do now. I have seen one of these before, although they are not commonplace

Van Huskey
06-18-2010, 4:37 AM
I would want one that does through dovetails. I have looked at the Omec's and the Dodd's. I would also like to have a large bed plotter with a knife blade instead of a pen so I can make patterns more easily than I do now. I have seen one of these before, although they are not commonplace

The only "highend" dovetailer I have seen was a Northtec I think, it was at IWF and I normally don't look at production machines but this thing looked like some kinda crazy computer operated punch card machine so I just had to stop and investigate.

I must say this has been an fun thread for me, some people "dream" of the mundane like me and some people have really cool dreams!

Paul Atkins
06-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Two words -Holtzapffel lathe.

Paul Johnstone
06-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Ok, I tried that.. hasn't worked yet.. :mad:

:D

Richard Wagner
06-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry, Larry, but your bandsaw is crying out for some tender loving care. If you would change out those tracking bearings and do a good tuneup you would find that your Shopsmith bandsaw just hums.

As far as resawing, I suspect that some practice and maybe a resaw jig are in order.

Check out the forum at www dot shopsmith dot net / forums .

Philip Johnson
06-28-2010, 3:16 PM
As I read down then list I felt kind of spoiled as I own a lot of the tools that others wished for. But one can always want more. Right now space is my biggest problem or I would love to have a lathe and the time to use it. A wide belt sander and spindle sander would be handy. A few more festools like a kapex miter saw and festool drill, a few more sanders and routers. I guess I could go on and on with wants but right now for some reason I want that festool kapex miter saw but just can't justify it, if my old dewalt died I think I would be more tempted to get it.

Gordon Harner
06-28-2010, 3:35 PM
My wish list, 1) A W&H molding machine 2) A nice 15" planer. Alas, no room.

Ed Kilburn
06-28-2010, 4:41 PM
Thinking big, along with a full size CNC router. I'd like on of these, I'm sure with a little programing I could make it cut DTs too. Of course I'd need a larger building. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgI6Fzr6hNs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgI6Fzr6hNs)

Carroll Courtney
06-28-2010, 5:21 PM
#1-Wish I had the rm for a panel saw,be nice to cut down full sheets of ply not having to lift them onto the table saw.
#2-Blum hinge machine which was on the list,but due to CL's just to good to pass on:D----Carroll

Larry Browning
06-28-2010, 5:52 PM
I'm sorry, Larry, but your bandsaw is crying out for some tender loving care. If you would change out those tracking bearings and do a good tuneup you would find that your Shopsmith bandsaw just hums.

As far as resawing, I suspect that some practice and maybe a resaw jig are in order.

Check out the forum at www.shopsmith.net/forums (http://www.shopsmith.net/forums) .
Richard,
I am not a big fan of Shopsmith. The SS I have was my fathers from the 1970s. My opinion of Shopsmith tools is that they are under sized, under powered and over priced. With that said, I will probably try to give it a good tuneup and look into that resaw jig and some practice, because I don't see a new bandsaw in my future for quite some time, so I will just make due with what I have and be happy with it. However, this thread was for day dreaming and that was what I was doing.

Van Huskey
06-28-2010, 6:15 PM
The thing I have found interesting about this thread is the dream list is thwarted as or more often by space rather than price tag.

Will Overton
06-28-2010, 6:22 PM
The price of more space is higher than any tool I want. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/crying.gif

Chris Kennedy
06-28-2010, 7:57 PM
If I had to choose one tool in the immediate future, I want a bigger DC -- a cyclone with a ridiculous horsepower rating. Like many others in this thread, I am not only limited by funds, but also by space.

Long term, I want either a nice SawStop or a Euro slider (again, there are space considerations).

On the other hand, what I would really like is a slush fund to spend indiscriminately on accessories that are just a little too expensive to justify: I need two more parallel jaw clamps, I just go get two more parallel jaw clamps. I need the better Porter-Cable edge guide, I just pick one up without looking at the price.

Cheers,

Chris

Karl Brogger
06-28-2010, 8:43 PM
Hmmm. I can't think of anything that I couldn't justify owning. Whether it be tools, or toys, all it takes is some good quality self deception. The problem arises when it comes time to pay for it.:D Anything I buy tool related, the only justification I need is whether or not it will make money.

I really want a cnc lathe, but I think its pretty hard to make it pay for itself. They're just cool to watch.

Will Overton
06-28-2010, 9:14 PM
Anything I buy tool related, the only justification I need is whether or not it will make money.

The beauty of being retired, and being a hobbyist, is not needing any justification at all. ;)

Josiah Bartlett
06-30-2010, 3:29 AM
More room...

Oscillating spindle sander, wide belt sander, bigger jointer. Dedicated assembly table. Spray booth.

Alan Lightstone
06-30-2010, 7:16 AM
1.) Norm standing there in the shop to say, "No, you idiot, do it this way."

2.) A DC/Cyclone/Metal ducts big enough to suck the clothes off Charlize Theron (or Jessica Alba -- fill in the blank and add beer).

3.) Separate jointer / planer instead of combined (space issue).

4.) Track saw.

Kevin Gregoire
06-30-2010, 8:16 PM
i have a craftsman TS but would love to have a SawStop TS or the new Delta
would also love a 17" Grizzly BS

Steven DeMars
06-30-2010, 9:51 PM
I'll bet you could swap your network skills and knowledge to an electrical contractor or supply house for a 220VAC run. Trust me, an electrician is far more intimidated by a network than you will ever be by a service panel.

Not to mention, for him your skill's billing rate is a lot higher that that of the skill level of technician required to run your 220VAC sub panel.

I have swapped skills throughout my life. . . just a thought . . . Put out some feelers at a few electrical whole sale houses & stop by and visit a few commercial electrical contractor's offices . .

Steve:)

- Any 220/230V tool.

Joe Shinall
06-30-2010, 9:55 PM
A really big shop!

Second would be a wide belt sander.

Kevin Groenke
06-30-2010, 10:55 PM
A shop that isn't at work!

The complete Lie Nielsen catalog. (and/or Veritas, Bridge City, etc..)
(I am buying the chisel set as soon as the promo comes in)

At work we're pretty well set for wood (4x8x12 router w/rotary due 08/01) but I am hankering:
slot mortiser
wide belt

and:
milling machine
engine lathe
tube bender
ironworker
press brake
forge

I DON'T want a Domino.

-kg

Paul Murphy
07-01-2010, 12:24 AM
For the last few years I've wanted a nice slot mortiser, a good 20" bandsaw, and a vacuum press setup.

...Sure would be nice!;)

Rich Engelhardt
07-01-2010, 6:31 AM
I'll bet you could swap your network skills and knowledge to an electrical contractor or supply house for a 220VAC run.

I'm personally a bit funny about that.
I made the decision 20 years ago when I got into the computer field, to keep my professional life just that.

I've been offered a "barter" a few times over the years & I always decline.
I'd rather have my employer never question where my loyalties are.

By the same token, I've also been offered old and/or used equipment by quite a few customers. That's something else I've always declined. I'd rather not have a customer wonder if I recommended that they replace something for their benefit or mine.

Then there's the matter of the IRS...
I've been through an IRS audit and I've had a kidney stone..
It's an even toss as to which is worse. :D
Since we (my wife and I) run a side rental business, it's best all around to keep everything above board and accounted for.

Anthony Whitesell
07-01-2010, 7:59 AM
It was an 8" jointer, but I bit the bullet when the MS cashback was at 25% and grabbed myself a Grizzly G0490. Cash was too tight at the time to get the X version. I think I should have waited. But I am happy that I have a more than decent 8" jointer. It has been a wonderful tool to have at the ready.

Now I'm onto wanting a bigger/better DC and a Worksharp 3000. I ended up with most of an older Oneida cyclone, but I can't install it until I get up my electric service and panel to 200A. I hoping to cut a deal with an electrician to do the outside work for $300-500 (plus supply lunch and drinks. It was just a thought :D) and allow me to do the inside work myself. That should bring the cost down from $1800-$2300 to $500-700.

That puts Worksharp back on the back burner.

Prashun Patel
07-01-2010, 8:47 AM
Lie Nielsen planes #3-#8.
A 2nd bandsaw so I can have one dedicated to curve cutting and resawing, respectively.
Excalibur overarm guard

If I really had $$ to burn, I'd get the entire Festool line, starting with a Domino and a Rotex sander.

Peter M. Spirito
07-05-2010, 6:48 PM
I have been hemming and hawing for 3 years between a bandsaw and a thickness sander. Both of which would run around $800.00. I have a small Ryobi bench top bandsaw now. I was recently blessed with an Swiss made Inca band saw with a 10 inch high cut and a 20 inch deep throat thru a friend for $200.00. ;)

Steve Bagi
07-05-2010, 7:15 PM
• MultiRouter

• Oneway 2436

• Bridge City Jointmaker Pro

Brian Jarnell
07-05-2010, 7:20 PM
Domino..

I can feel one coming on.

Greg Plowman
07-05-2010, 7:36 PM
For me it's a Festool domino but I can't justify it because I can do pretty much anything it can do with my FMT pro or biscuit cutter depending on the application and I don't typically do M&T on site anywhere.

Will Overton
07-05-2010, 9:39 PM
... I don't typically do M&T on site anywhere.

You might if you had a Domino ;)

Bobby O'Neal
07-05-2010, 9:43 PM
Hand planes....all of 'em.

Keith Christopher
07-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Believe it or not, a Domino. worth it I am sure, but somehow I can't seem to drop the 1K on it.

ed vitanovec
07-05-2010, 10:09 PM
CNC Router.

Brian Jarnell
07-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Believe it or not, a Domino. worth it I am sure, but somehow I can't seem to drop the 1K on it.

If only they were 1k here in NZ,I would have one tomorrow.

In case you were wondering,they are 2k.

Mike Shields
08-24-2010, 2:40 PM
A dedicated workshop instead of a garage that is used as a workshop when it's not winter and the vehicles can be left outside.

Matt Armstrong
08-24-2010, 5:00 PM
Welder .

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 5:04 PM
Welder .

I have been looking for a good wood welder, know of any decent deals....:D

Matt Armstrong
08-24-2010, 5:05 PM
I have been looking for a good wood welder, know of any decent deals....:D
DAP makes an excellent model

Matt Logana
08-24-2010, 5:27 PM
Since Mike revived this dead thread, Ill add my 2c...

I would love to have a 42in Bandsaw... I just cannot see myself cutting much that size.... Sure it would work as a good cross cut saw... but how often do I use the BS when I have other tools available...

That and 99% of the tools that the rest of you have... I just havent that kind of income...

Brian Jarnell
08-24-2010, 6:04 PM
Since Mike revived this dead thread, Ill add my 2c...

I would love to have a 42in Bandsaw... I just cannot see myself cutting much that size.... Sure it would work as a good cross cut saw... but how often do I use the BS when I have other tools available...

That and 99% of the tools that the rest of you have... I just havent that kind of income...
Just leave your address and we will not send you some.

Thom Porterfield
08-24-2010, 8:06 PM
spindle sander, large belt sander, blade sharpening system (motorized), 20" thickness planer (I don't have one at all--so why stop at 13"?), and I want to restore my old (ca 1940s) Craftsman 6" jointer.

Steve Kohn
08-24-2010, 8:47 PM
All I want is time to get in the shop and be able to build the stuff my friends and relatives want.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-24-2010, 8:50 PM
An MH-65C Dolphin. Preferably with IHADSS slaved to a minigun.
I'd love one of those

Gene Thayer
08-24-2010, 8:55 PM
A 22/44 Performax (now Jet) Drum sander. Just can't justify the cost:(

J.R. Rutter
08-24-2010, 9:35 PM
Razor Gage:

http://www.razorgage.com/razorgage_backgage_sawstop_pusherstop.html

Brian Jarnell
08-24-2010, 9:42 PM
Razor Gage:

http://www.razorgage.com/razorgage_backgage_sawstop_pusherstop.html

You must do a lot of cut offs to justify one of those.!

michael case
08-25-2010, 12:40 AM
All I want for Christmas is a Multirouter

Van Huskey
08-25-2010, 12:58 AM
An MH-65C Dolphin. Preferably with IHADSS slaved to a minigun.
I'd love one of those

I am holding out for a AH64D Longbow, with a M230 and a few AGM-114s I could stage a "redneck New Years" any day of the week... :D

James Baker SD
08-25-2010, 1:05 AM
since we seem to be drifting away from ww tools, NASA has some shuttles up for sale soon. I sure would like one of those.

James

Mike Heidrick
08-25-2010, 1:36 AM
Any tool called Felder Format4 or Martin (insert tool type here).

Widebelt sander

ATC for the CNC router

Big Oneway lathe

Rod Sheridan
08-25-2010, 8:47 AM
It's going to sound dumb..............A chainsaw, preferably electric.......Rod.

Cary Falk
08-25-2010, 8:56 AM
It's going to sound dumb..............A chainsaw, preferably electric.......Rod.

Not really. I have kicked it around in my head a couple of times. It would come in handy about once a year.

Tom Cornish
08-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Ingersoll-Rand 2340N air compressor

4' X 8' CNC router.

Brian Myers
08-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Two words -Holtzapffel lathe.
Good words

David Weaver
08-25-2010, 12:50 PM
For me, a good bridgeport mill.

I don't have the space to run one, nor the excuse to spend the money on a good used one, but I sure could increase the speed that I can rough out dovetails and mouths on planes with one.

It would be nice to have a mill to drill metal accurately, too.

David Weaver
08-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Any tool called Felder Format4 or Martin (insert tool type here).

Now that you mention it, the martin T60 precision would be a nice piece of gear to have, too. No more screwing around with a dado blade - just dial it in on the touch screen and make a few passes - dados or female ends of sliding dovetails.

Larry Dubia
08-25-2010, 2:13 PM
I have two tools I would dearly love to have. The first is a 24" resaw bandsaw so i can cut and veneer my redwood burls. I have huge slabs and chunks sitting in my driveway...two tons of it.

The second is a wide belt thickness sander to get things down to the perfect size and smoothness in one step. But this one I found plans for and am going to try building.

Larry

ray hampton
08-25-2010, 2:53 PM
I am hoping for a mill machine to go with my metal lathe

Brett Nelson
08-25-2010, 3:29 PM
All I want is time to get in the shop and be able to build the stuff my friends and relatives want.

A really BIG DITTO to this one!!!! Usually when I want a tool I just buy it. My problem isn't that I can't justify the purchase. My problem isn't that I don't have space.

MY PROBLEM IS THAT I'VE GOT A SHOP FULL OF IDLE TOOLS AND MACHINES, CAUSE SOMEBODY HAS TO MAKE MONEY TO PAY FOR ALL THOSE EXPENSIVE TOOLS!!!

Ughhhh:rolleyes:

Regrettably, I've dropped about $4,500 this month on woodworking tools and they are all still in the original packaging. New Jointer, Cabinet Saw, Triton 3hp router, Kreg Precision Router Table..... All still on crates.... what you guys build, I dream about.

Jacob Mac
08-25-2010, 3:53 PM
I'd love to hit the West coast for about three years and learn everything about G&G furniture I could. That is my ultimate ww dream.

Equipment wise, there are so many hand tools I want, it is not even funny. If I ever go back to power tools, I would like a Felder combo machine. Maybe after my wife graduates from law school... But if I ever go with power tools again, I will prioritize dust collection first and foremost.

ken gibbs
08-25-2010, 4:09 PM
I guess I am normal after all. I have been dreaming of a wide belt sander just like the rest of your dudes.

Mark Woodmark
08-25-2010, 10:48 PM
CNC router table. Cant justify giving up the space either

Dave Cav
08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
a tenoner. dialing in copes with a micrometer then having to change it all again for the stick profile gets old. it'd be nice to have a dedicated tenoner to eliminate that for doors and windows.

You beat me to it. I would like a nice single end tenoner; a PM 2A would be just about right. I could probably afford one, but I don't know where I would put it. Have to move the second shaper...

J.R. Rutter
08-26-2010, 11:09 AM
You must do a lot of cut offs to justify one of those.!

400 - 500 a day!

jackie gates
09-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Do you have a tool or machine that you find yourself lookng at in catalogs, internet or stores that you just WANT but are pretty sure you would never get the value out of if bought new. You know the one you look for on CL hoping to find a scorned wife willing to sell one for 1/10th its value just to teach her cheatin' hubby a lesson.

For me it is a shaper, I have used them and love them but when tooling is considered I just don't see how I would get the value out of one. I rarely have the need for moulding and the rare times I use big ole bits it is not a big deal to take several passes.

I must admit there have been numerous tools I have bought for one project that I didn't think I would use again and later I wondered how I ever lived without it, maybe the shaper would be the same but until some woodworker with a cherry PM27 makes his wife wanna sell me one for $300 I ust don't see me learing this lesson.

:D:DAll and everyone of them:D:D

Brian Jarnell
09-02-2010, 12:13 AM
400 - 500 a day!

Crikey,that is a lot.

Van Huskey
09-02-2010, 1:21 AM
Crikey,that is a lot.

I am thinking he might actualy be able to justify it...

Brian Jarnell
09-02-2010, 3:37 AM
I am thinking he might actually be able to justify it...

If he is doing 2000 a week consistently,I think we should let him have one,what do you say?

Eric McCune
09-02-2010, 9:39 AM
I just bought this and can't justify the cost. But I'm sure glad I did. :D

J.R. Rutter
09-02-2010, 9:46 AM
If he is doing 2000 a week consistently,I think we should let him have one,what do you say?

Thing is, I could really use an upcut saw to go with it. Now we're pushing $10K. I'll see what the tax situation is like in December.

John M. Cioffi
09-02-2010, 10:09 AM
For me it would be the Jet 16-32 Sanding machine.:D
John

Van Huskey
09-02-2010, 11:13 AM

Heck, I wouldda pitched in to help BUT he is already starting the "I wanna" again, this time he has just gotta have an upcut saw too, I think he just went teenage girl on us.... :D

Brian Jarnell
09-02-2010, 4:06 PM
Thing is, I could really use an upcut saw to go with it. Now we're pushing $10K. I'll see what the tax situation is like in December.

I wonder if Jimmy Carter worries about shelling out for tools?:rolleyes:

John Toigo
09-03-2010, 10:19 PM
An overarm router. But it's really more a space issue - they're cheap enough to buy.

Dan Karachio
09-04-2010, 1:35 AM
Oh where to start? Domino, mortiser, finish sander, LN jointer, Tormek... Stop me any time!

Jamie Schmitz
09-04-2010, 2:35 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4955800649_03eab6856f.jpg (http://sawmillcreek.org/%3Ca%20href=)">

Mike Shields
09-22-2010, 9:59 AM
Peter, I can't help but think that your missing a few zero's.

You bought that Inca for $200? Wow, is all I can say.

I have been hemming and hawing for 3 years between a bandsaw and a thickness sander. Both of which would run around $800.00. I have a small Ryobi bench top bandsaw now. I was recently blessed with an Swiss made Inca band saw with a 10 inch high cut and a 20 inch deep throat thru a friend for $200.00. ;)

Ryan Hellmer
09-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I've gotta go with the 4x8 CNC router as well.

J.R. Rutter
09-22-2010, 4:09 PM
Heck, I wouldda pitched in to help BUT he is already starting the "I wanna" again, this time he has just gotta have an upcut saw too, I think he just went teenage girl on us.... :D

LOL -- I decided not to wait and "settled" for a Tiger Stop :grin:

TS-10 with 12' outfeed and 10' infeed tables. I'll just use a SCMS for now.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7ftZyQvHxr8/TJpiCVPX6oI/AAAAAAAAArA/VY4xr8M8LiQ/s640/IMG_0703.JPG

Rick Pettit
09-22-2010, 4:27 PM
a 16 inch jointer. Perfectly flat 12 inch plus lumber in one pass. Sweet.

David Hostetler
09-22-2010, 5:06 PM
You know, other than room in my shop, I am very happy, and blessed to have what I have. I do keep drooling over the Shop Fox 3/4 HP mortising machine. It's not terribly expensive, but I do well enough with the drill press, and chisels cleaning up the mortises, and with drill press mortising attachments so inexpensive, I would have a hard time justifying the extra cost of this machine.

Paul McGaha
09-22-2010, 5:30 PM
JR,

What's a Tiger Stop?

Jerome Stanek
09-22-2010, 5:40 PM
A new Shopbot 48 X 96 Alpha with a tool changer and an indexer.

David Weaver
09-22-2010, 5:46 PM
After all of this talk about grinders earlier today, I want an 8" slow speed baldor grinder on a pedestal.

Can't justify it given that all I'd do with it is put a hollow grind on chisels and plane irons, which can be done just fine with any garden variety $40 import junker.

David Woodruff
09-22-2010, 6:15 PM
The return on investment (ROI) has not been a factor in my purchase of tools desired. I have found that that if one buy's the tool, not a cheap tool, the ROI happens. Also thru experience if a person buys the cheap suit, the pleasure of woking with a fine tool and the ROI is not there. In my much younger life I bought the wannabee tools. I cannot believe I succumbed to the phrase, Industrial Quality Lathe $149.00. All of you know the dealers that propagate this bS, please do not buy this crap. Enough Said.

Van Huskey
09-22-2010, 9:31 PM
JR,

What's a Tiger Stop?

It is aluminum covers that pop out when the tiger tries to eat a human. Steve Gass invented it... :D

Wow the thread is alive AGAIN.

J.R. Rutter
09-23-2010, 12:24 AM
JR,

What's a Tiger Stop?

It is an electronic stop that you can use with a crosscut saw, miter saw, etc. In the most basic form, you enter the length you want on the keypad and the stop moves to that position (+/- 0.005 or so). With some extra software, you can download cutlists and let the built-in controller optimize the cuts based on where you tell it the defects are located. It is a great tool if you do a lot of cutting, as I do in my business.

I've got one on my SawStop rip fence as well - it uses a pneumatic actuator to unlock/lock the fence handle. You can use fractions, imperial, and metric as needed. www.tigerstop.com has more info.

Dan Blackshear
09-23-2010, 8:43 PM
I'd love to have the top of the line Felder combo machine but if I really wanted to improve my woodworking, I want the 2 year Furniture and Cabinet making program from North Bennet Street School, Or even the 9 month intensive at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship. Of course I would also need my living expenses covered. :p

I'm sure the Felder would be cheaper, but it would be easier to justify the education.

Peter M. Spirito
09-23-2010, 9:36 PM
Peter, I can't help but think that your missing a few zero's.

You bought that Inca for $200? Wow, is all I can say.

I had no idea what it was worth. I had not even heard of the name before. I almost passed it up. Then I called my wife and she said to jump on it. DUH.......:o

Carl Babel
09-24-2010, 2:48 AM
From Phillip Johnson:
"As I read down then list I felt kind of spoiled as I own a lot of the tools that others wished for."

You have a shop cleaning elf that looks like Jessica Alba?
You are a lucky man!

Mike Cutler
09-24-2010, 6:27 AM
A Mill/Drill.
I have a benchtop Delta with an Incra table, and unfortunately, for me, it does everything I need it to do.
I still want a mill drill though

Mike Hollingsworth
09-25-2010, 2:33 PM
WoodMill (http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Shop-Fox-Vertical-Mill-10-x-34-/T20829)
Stumbled here this morning.
Ordered One after lusting after the Grizzly model.
Hope I don't wake up from this dream.
http://cdn3.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/t/t20829.jpg

Van Huskey
09-25-2010, 7:26 PM
WoodMill (http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Shop-Fox-Vertical-Mill-10-x-34-/T20829)
Stumbled here this morning.
Ordered One after lusting after the Grizzly model.
Hope I don't wake up from this dream.
http://cdn3.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/t/t20829.jpg

If you don't wake up we need REAL pics and a review once you get it going!

Peter Quinn
09-25-2010, 8:49 PM
One of these would be nice to play with! Onsrud model 750 SS. And a bridge port would be a nice accompaniment to this.

John Carlo
09-25-2010, 10:48 PM
My 87 year old father in-law followed me out to the shop this morning and asked me that same question. I told him I probably should get a Saw Stop for safety's sake but that a wide belt sander would my make my time more efficient in the shop.
Here is what I have...22" PM 7 1/2 HP planer, 13" 5 HP Belsaw planer, JessEm router table and lift with 220V router, Steel City 3 HP shaper, Delta 3 HP shaper, 1 1/2 HP Delta shaper, 12 DeWalt RAS, 12" DeWalt miter saw, PM floor model mortiser, Delta 16 speed floor model drill press, Delta VS floor model drill press, Delta 108" oscillating edge sander, Grizzly floor model oscillating drum sander, Sears 1 1/2 HP table saw, Shopsmith MK 5, Shopsmith 11" bandsaw, Delta 18: bandsaw, 1" Rockwell strip sander, Fesstool trak saw, PM 8" jointer, Performax 22-44 drum sander, downdraft table, dust collection system to all tools, air filtration, and all the little stuff which gets as exotic as the Virtuex laminate slitter, to the 3 bit euro hinge jig, welding station, copper enameling station, and pretty much all the usual portable power tools, compressors, nailers, clamps and accessories. All of this is crammed into a 22x44 heated and air conditioned shop as a separate building behind the house.
Not rich, not bragging, took a lifetime to collect and built the shop myself.

richard poitras
09-26-2010, 12:18 AM
A lot of Domino’s on the wish list. How long before the Patten runs out? (Might make it more affordable by then.)