PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Rust Problems

Andrew W. Thomas
06-17-2010, 12:11 AM
I hope to draw on the infinite wisdom of this forum with this post...

I picked up a Grizz TS in March and have been fighting to keep the cast iron top rust free. I keep the TS in my garage and live in Chicagoland so the summer is somewhat humid. After about two weeks without cleaning the TS will start to gather surface rust.

I've consistently use Johnson's paste wax but this doesn't seem to help. When I had gotten desperate I began using liberal coats of RemOil that I typically use on firearms.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm running out of steel wool!

Darin Higginbotham
06-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Try BRIWAX it worked for me when Johnsons failed.

Steve Bracken
06-17-2010, 1:08 AM
I hope to draw on the infinite wisdom of this forum with this post...

I picked up a Grizz TS in March and have been fighting to keep the cast iron top rust free. I keep the TS in my garage and live in Chicagoland so the summer is somewhat humid. After about two weeks without cleaning the TS will start to gather surface rust.

I've consistently use Johnson's paste wax but this doesn't seem to help. When I had gotten desperate I began using liberal coats of RemOil that I typically use on firearms.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm running out of steel wool!

We are getting 90 degree temps and 70 to 90% humidity right now, and no rust problems.

I use Crystal Paste Wax, and try to apply it weekly. Seems to work.

Joe Chritz
06-17-2010, 1:12 AM
I expect it is condensation that is getting you. The table cools down at night and sweats when the heat starts to go up.

Try leaving an oscillating fan on, it helped when I had a similar problem.

Johnson's is all it should need but any standing water will rust.

You could also cover it when not in use but I think the fan will help.

P.S. Ditch the rem oil and go with break free CLP.

Joe

Tom Esh
06-17-2010, 7:18 AM
Covering it can help alot. Doesn't have to be airtight either - an old bedsheet or dropcloth works well. Without a cover I have to resort to Boeshield or the like.

Joe Scharle
06-17-2010, 7:28 AM
I keep a box fan running 24/7, and only wax when the top looses it's slipperyness (sic).

John Coloccia
06-17-2010, 7:56 AM
Be careful with firearm lubricants. Many of them have silicone in them. I think the RemOil is OK, but I have a bunch of stuff that's not allowed in my shop anymore because of the silicone. My opinion is the only long term solution is to get that humidity down however you have to do it.

Norman Pyles
06-17-2010, 8:03 AM
I have an extra contractors saw, sitting on my back porch. I just put a piece of particle board on the top, and cover it with plastic to keep the rain off. No problems with rust. You could probably get by without the plastic inside a garage. :)

glenn bradley
06-17-2010, 10:01 AM
With the degree of trouble you are having it might be worth looking into a dehumidifier. I would sure try Joe's fan idea first though; cheaper.

Andrew W. Thomas
06-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Joe...
I think you may have something with the condensation issue. Where I had my aux fence touching the table there was no surface rust.

I didn't want to cover it because I worried I'd trap more moisture directly up against the table.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-17-2010, 10:31 AM
My first thought was move, but, I live in Columbus Ohio (so I can't really talk)...

Two general principals to prevent rust.

Avoid Oxygen.
Avoid Water.

If you place a coating on the metal, then you prevent the rust. This is what happens when you wax the top. I suppose that you are likely still having rust on the underside of the table, however (unless it has some sort of undercoat, which strikes me as a good idea).

I recommend that you consider rust prevention products. A few common include the Boeshield T-9, Bull Frog Heavy Duty Rust Blocker Gel, Sentry Solutions TUF-CLOTH (and the MARINE TUF-CLOTH option).

Consider the propaganda for T-9, it is informative:

T-9 is a combination of solvents, lubricants and waxes designed for penetration, moisture displacement, lubrication, and protection.

T-9 dries to a thin waxy film that clings to metal. Because it adheres to metal so well, it works directly on exposed metal surfaces.

(see, this is good because it displaces the water)

I have a few different products at my house. My table saw came with a bunch of rust on the surface. I picked up a product from my local HD meant to remove rust, and it then does something similar. Now that I removed most of the rust, I have two different products that I intend to try, one of which is T-9.

Jim Rimmer
06-17-2010, 10:32 AM
I use Minwax paste wax and have no problems and I live just 2 miles from Galveston Bay in hot and humid Houston area.

The guys with dust collectors will not like this, but I found quite by accident that a light coating of sawdust may help. :rolleyes:

Kevin Gregoire
06-17-2010, 10:44 AM
i am new to woodworking (got into it almost 1 year ago) and the first machine i bought
was my TS and the surface was good when i got it but i did a light 'polish' with a green
scoth-brite pad and applied some Renaissance Wax Polish i got from Rockler. i was new
and didnt know what everyone was using but this stuff seemed good from the reviews
but it was spendy but i tried it and i do my tables about once every 4 or 5 months and
have never had a spot of rust ever!
i got some briwax and was going to use that since its more economical but it doesnt
seem to glaze over like im used to? so i might just stick with the Renaissance wax
since it works so good and dont have to use it very often, which is good since i live in
South Dakota and we have plenty of hot & cold with tons of humidity.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17424&filter=wax

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/39031-01-200.jpg

Steve Perez
06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
A dehumidifier sized for the job could (mostly) solve your problem. My garage was a very humid one as I remember. Before moving any cast iron in I purchased a $100 dehumidifier and haven't really seen any problems since nor have I really noticed a big jump in the electric bill. I know it works. One stormy day without electricity and bang, in an instant: surface rust on the TS, planer, BS, hand tools ... Since that day, in addition to setting the dehumidifier on auto I now use Boeshield and Camelia Oil sprays regularly. No problems.

John Thompson
06-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Deep south.. the humidity is hitting 80% daily at 75-78 degrees in the shop. I use my machines daily so the wax will not last as long from friction. I wax all my cast iron with Rennaisance Wax about every two weeks and more often on a TS or any I use heavily. I do put cotton tarps (painters tarps from the Box) over the machines at night. This has been the case for many years and no rust.

Pete Shermet
06-17-2010, 11:13 AM
For longer periods : Boesheild T9, this works great http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=50252&cat=1,43415,43440
But you might try the plastic and a desicant pack, don't let the desicant come into close contact with the cast iron.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=53828&cat=1,43456,53828