PDA

View Full Version : Newbe with new tool gloat and ?'s

John Hoppe
06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Hello all. I have been lurking on this site on and off for a few years and finally have decided to join. I have a modest shop in the basement and wanted to upgrade my bandsaw (old 10" craftsman) to a real bandsaw. I have some cherry I need to resaw for a bathroom remodel project. Sprung the idea on my wife with two different models, the Rikon 14" and the Grizzly G0513P. Ususally she looks at me sideways when I want to spend a couple hundred on a tool. This time she said "I know you will use it in the future, might as well spend the extra money and get the bigger saw". Damn near crashed the car when she told me that.

Now the saw is on order. Just a couple of questions. I need to put it in the basement which is not an easy stair case. I am assuming the table is not attached so it will be a bit lighter to get in the basement. I also plan on picking it up at the freight terminal. Can this unit be layed down for short transport? My truck is an Excursion so no way to do an upright transport unless I rent a trailer.

Last question is a function question. I keep seeing posts about cast iron trunnions. What exactly is the benifit of a CI trunnion? From searching it appears that it is more stable if you are trying to resaw multipule hundred pound logs, but I am not completely sure if this correct and the only benifit.

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 11:19 PM
First welcome.

Second the tool purchase only gets a you suck! Since you didn't get a deal.

Third, getting a responce like that from your wife deserves a:

YOU SUCK!

I am pretty sure the saw comes pretty much assembled with everything in place except maybe the table, someone just posted a picture in the last couple of days with one in the crate.

No problem laying it on its spine, bandsaws actually ship BETTER on their spine. Eagle Tools ship all the high end Agazzani band saws on their spines, however just make sure it is supported since the shipping crate (f you can call it that) on the 513 is not designed for this. I might be willing to pay the ~$40 Grizzly charges for liftgate delivery, your truck will burn that much gas going around te corner right...:D

The cast trunnions are more stable, mainly useful for heavy weight and of more use the more often you tilt the table and or cut heavy stuff. Many people never tilt their BS table some do it all the time. One good thing is you can upgrade the trunnion anytime.

Steve Bracken
06-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Hello all. I have been lurking on this site on and off for a few years and finally have decided to join. I have a modest shop in the basement and wanted to upgrade my bandsaw (old 10" craftsman) to a real bandsaw. I have some cherry I need to resaw for a bathroom remodel project. Sprung the idea on my wife with two different models, the Rikon 14" and the Grizzly G0513P. Ususally she looks at me sideways when I want to spend a couple hundred on a tool. This time she said "I know you will use it in the future, might as well spend the extra money and get the bigger saw". Damn near crashed the car when she told me that.

Now the saw is on order. Just a couple of questions. I need to put it in the basement which is not an easy stair case. I am assuming the table is not attached so it will be a bit lighter to get in the basement. I also plan on picking it up at the freight terminal. Can this unit be layed down for short transport? My truck is an Excursion so no way to do an upright transport unless I rent a trailer.

Last question is a function question. I keep seeing posts about cast iron trunnions. What exactly is the benifit of a CI trunnion? From searching it appears that it is more stable if you are trying to resaw multipule hundred pound logs, but I am not completely sure if this correct and the only benifit.

I just took deliver of a G0513P.

It weighs about 400lbs including packaging. The saw will be on a pallet, with a wooden crate built around it. It also has some styrofoan blocks to prevent it moving in the crate. The table is separately packed, inside the crate. The crate looks flimsy, but those Taiwanese guys sure know how to drive in a nail.

I see no reason at all why the crate could not be carefully laid down in a trailer or pick-up bed, however, if you have a tall front support, then I would lash it upright.

The styrofoam should stop it shifting in the crate and, in any event, it's not that fragile, so i you are careful, no harm should result.. Alternately, rent a U-Haul with a tail-lift.

Mine was delivered to the house, on a 50ft trailer and the guy had a tail-lift. He got it down and wheeled it, unaided, straight into my shop on a two wheel dolly. He was a big guy, but it's more awkward than heavy.

Hope this helps.

Joe Wiliams
06-17-2010, 2:32 AM
Just had the 513P delivered Monday:)

I asked Grizzly about laying it down so I could get it from the street to my shop behind the house, about 100'. They said if I wanted to do that I should remove the saw from the crate and lay it on it's spine. Should of asked why... I think it may be because the table would be laying on the motor if not removed. Just a guess.

The FedEx driver wasn't much interested in helping out. I wanted him to lower the lift gate level with my tailgate and just roll it in, wouldn't do it. He just set it in the street off the lift gate. I laid it back into my truck then lifted it back upright and strapped it down.

John Hoppe
06-17-2010, 7:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I will unpack at the terminal and lay it down in the back of the truck.

Just to clear a few things up from Van's comments:

The first "you suck" should be bigger, I did not mention I used bing cash back and ended up paying about the same for the Grizzly shipped as I would for the Rikon picked up at the store with tax on it.

Second, real trucks burn fuel, not gas :D

Van Huskey
06-17-2010, 2:28 PM
I'll leave the suckage where it was, was being overly generous at what I thought was just sale price. There are only 7 "sizes" of suckage and to see an example of size 7 check out Dave's thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142512

Didn't know you had a diesel Excursion, the only other SUV to come stock with that kinda torque is a Volkswagen... :eek:

John Hoppe
06-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Just had the 513P delivered Monday:)

I asked Grizzly about laying it down so I could get it from the street to my shop behind the house, about 100'. They said if I wanted to do that I should remove the saw from the crate and lay it on it's spine. Should of asked why... I think it may be because the table would be laying on the motor if not removed. Just a guess.

The FedEx driver wasn't much interested in helping out. I wanted him to lower the lift gate level with my tailgate and just roll it in, wouldn't do it. He just set it in the street off the lift gate. I laid it back into my truck then lifted it back upright and strapped it down.

Just got the confirmation E-mail for the shipment. I saw that yours came FedEx and figured mine would do the same since we have a FedEx LTL terminal in my town. Of course it was shipped UPS LTL instead. Their terminal is over an hour away. I am not driving that far with the truck to pick it up. I will have to go and talk nicely to the guy that has a small company behind my house to see if I can have it dropped off in the alley and use his forklift to get it off the truck.

glenn bradley
06-18-2010, 2:06 PM
First welcome.

Second the tool purchase only gets a you suck! Since you didn't get a deal.

Third, getting a responce like that from your wife deserves a:

YOU SUCK!

Van speaks true. Welcome.

I transported my saw upright but I rented a bob-tail so I could strap it to the sides. There is a story in the archives here somewhere of a man who had his fall over in the flatbed trailer at the first stop sign ;-(

For the investment of a trailer rental you will have a better (and safer) time of it. JMHO.

P.s. . . .please take this in the spirit of camaraderie in which it is intended . . . .

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147964&d=1271047610