PDA

View Full Version : My cigar band pen

Derek Voigt
06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Since I always see so many cool things on this site, I thought that I would share one of my latest creations that I've only made a couple of.

They are cigar pens, made with closed ends out of walnut burl. The walnut is a great match for the color of a Maduro wrapper and the burl mimics the irregularities of the wrapper.

At a glance in the pocket of a shirt it looks just like a cigar.

I have about 10-12 layers of thick CA to keep the band on and protected.

Let me know what you think!

Derek

James Combs
06-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Really Cool pen.

Norm Zax
06-17-2010, 1:13 AM
Way too cool! Where's the order form?

John Hart
06-17-2010, 6:13 AM
Excellent!! The pens themselves are very cool/

The fact that it's your creation....is even cooler.

I tip my hat.;) :)

Donny Lawson
06-17-2010, 6:36 AM
That almost looks like the real thing. Thanks for sharing.
Donny

Thom Sturgill
06-17-2010, 7:15 AM
I can just see it - you sell one to a cigar smoker and he proceeds to tear up several expensive cigars trying to open his 'pen'.:eek:

Very nice.

Jonathan Harvey
06-17-2010, 8:00 AM
Very cool pens. You should check out my website as well. I have a lot of cigar band pens only they are not on wood they are all cast out of PR. Yours look very nice and professional. If only they had Cuban bands on them :-)

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2010, 8:02 AM
Those are just to cool. Well done.

Derek Voigt
06-17-2010, 8:11 AM
Very cool pens. You should check out my website as well. I have a lot of cigar band pens only they are not on wood they are all cast out of PR. Yours look very nice and professional. If only they had Cuban bands on them :-)

I went to your home page website but didn't see any of your cigar pens. Did I miss them?

Thanks everyone for your compliments!

Derek

David E Keller
06-17-2010, 9:00 AM
Good job. I like the cigar label pens. I've done a few cigar label pens for friends who like cigars.

One suggestion, you might look into a kit modification of the cigar where you eliminate the center band... That allows the 'cigar' to flow from one end to the other. Just a thought...

Derek Voigt
06-17-2010, 9:05 AM
Good job. I like the cigar label pens. I've done a few cigar label pens for friends who like cigars.

One suggestion, you might look into a kit modification of the cigar where you eliminate the center band... That allows the 'cigar' to flow from one end to the other. Just a thought...

I have seen that one, and have all the parts to do it, but haven't had time to give it a shot yet. I would also want to have it be a closed end, which would make it much harder. All the 1-piece cigars I've seen have the clips on the pen.

But either way it is on the To-Do list

Mike Wilkins
06-17-2010, 9:17 AM
Really nice cigars/pens. Some of my favorite brands represented also.
You may be able to market these to some local tobacconists.

John Beaver
06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I really like them.
Well done.

Kurt Barker
06-17-2010, 11:06 AM
And the maduro even has a darker wrapper... great attention to detail.

Great job!

ktb

Karl Card
06-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I think it is neat... also have never seen...

Chris Stolicky
06-17-2010, 3:00 PM
I made my version of a 'cigar' style pen and posted it back in March. I'll look for a pic after this post. It was made out of wenge. I thought about putting a band on it but wondered two things, first, was CA over wenge, and second, was how well it would work.

For the first part, I didn't put any finish at all on the pen, just buffed it. Wenge is oily and it came out great. Also, it would have been a pain to fill in all of the voids in the wenge with a finish.

For the second, I would be interested to hear what you went through to attach the label, and how well it holds up over time. I imagine the CA provides a good barrier.

Chris Stolicky
06-17-2010, 3:12 PM
I meant to say in my previous post - good job.

Here is a pic of the one I made. (no pics, didn't happen, right?)

Derek Voigt
06-17-2010, 5:42 PM
I made my version of a 'cigar' style pen and posted it back in March. I'll look for a pic after this post. It was made out of wenge. I thought about putting a band on it but wondered two things, first, was CA over wenge, and second, was how well it would work.

For the first part, I didn't put any finish at all on the pen, just buffed it. Wenge is oily and it came out great. Also, it would have been a pain to fill in all of the voids in the wenge with a finish.

For the second, I would be interested to hear what you went through to attach the label, and how well it holds up over time. I imagine the CA provides a good barrier.

I have CA'ed over Wenge before, no issues. You can always do a quick hit of sand paper and CA to fill any voids with the dust. Or just leave it to the CA to fill it as you build layers.

Attaching the label wasn't too bad. I just need to be careful when applying the first coats and making sure to not sand through it with mirco mesh. This was an issue the first few times as the finish was not getting smooth or was foggy or scratched.

I had made one for myself and used it regularly with no issues, since the band is at the top of the pen it doesn't get handled alot. I ran out of ink and haven't used it in a while.

Billy Tallant
06-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Wow! Those pens are nice. Looks like that end could really confuse someone with it sticking out of your pocket.

Jeff Willard
06-24-2010, 8:41 AM
More band than cigar.

Derek Voigt
06-24-2010, 8:51 AM
That is very nice. Did you just over lap the bands on top of each other? I would be afraid it would get too thick in one spot from having extra overlap of bands.

Jeff Willard
06-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Derek,
The bands are laid up on the tube, then the whole schmeel cast in resin and then turned. There's no danger of the bands telegraphing through. It is in essence, a plastic pen.

David DeCristoforo
06-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Gotta be careful here and not keep your pen in the same pocket with your stogies!

Raymond James
10-28-2011, 6:06 PM
Hey Derek ! These really look Great! I've been wanting to do this and was wondering the best way to try. Thanks for your input.
Sincerely,

Raymond from Morehead, Kentucky