PDA

View Full Version : laser kerf for inlays

Steven Wallace
06-16-2010, 9:31 PM
I am certain that this question or request for information has been made several times. I am just not finding them. What I am looking for is the best know method to minimize the laser kerf so that there is a nice tight fit. I have seen a ton of great pieces of work done and would like to try my hand at creating some of these one of a kind pieces. Thanks in advance to any of you that respond.

David Fairfield
06-16-2010, 9:51 PM
Proper focus minimizes kerf. You can compensate for the kerf in your graphic, by ofsetting the path by 1/2 your beam width.

I am certain that this question or request for information has been made several times. I am just not finding them. What I am looking for is the best know method to minimize the laser kerf so that there is a nice tight fit. I have seen a ton of great pieces of work done and would like to try my hand at creating some of these one of a kind pieces. Thanks in advance to any of you that respond.

Doug Griffith
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM
One of the easiest methods is to cut from the back side. Focus on the table not the material surface.

Mike Null
06-17-2010, 6:51 AM
I agree. Cutting from the back has always produced excellent results for me.

I focus on the material but it is thin. If it had been 1/8" I may have focused into the material a little.

You can see an example here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138543

Steven Wallace
06-17-2010, 3:54 PM
Appreciate your suggestions and the time you took to give them.

Michael Wintermute
06-17-2010, 9:28 PM
Steven,
I offset 3/4 of the kerf and mirror the inlay pcs. so the tapered edges actually "Lock" into each other. I no longer "dry fit" wood parts anymore as I have 4 differant customer with pcs. not glued in. (I Gave instructions IF the pc. comes loose call me and I will Attach, Reseal, and Refinish it no charge". I usualy inlay using 3/32" and if I use too thick of glue it will warp/split most woods (even if I add a veneer to the backside)

Steven Wallace
06-18-2010, 1:02 AM
Michael, I have an Epilog Mini18 and I am curious in trying your procedure. Call me an idiot but how does one offset 3/4 of the kerf. Can you explain? I would appreciate it and thanks for your input.

Michael Wintermute
06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Steve,
I adjust the laser to cut thru a sample of the matterial I wil be using, but not cut apart (just a line in with and aginst the grain) measure at the top of the kerf with a digital caliper(my kerf is .0075). In Corel Draw the pcs. for the inlay(Male and Female) need to be seperated onto differant pages.
The male pcs. will be mirrored in respect to the Female and must be "closed". Select the male Pc., with the offset tool enter .75X the kerf into the offset field(.0056) check the To Outside and 1 Step. Press Enter. Ctrl+Q will break apart the offsets and then you can delete the inner(original) one. If you have a figured inlay pc. remember this will be cut upside down.
Glue in as usual (be sparing on the glue as the lasered wood will drink it up and swell)

Mike

Steven Wallace
06-18-2010, 2:33 PM
Are you using the interactive contour tool, I can only find an offset tool in the "Bitmap" pull down under the "Distort" and then "Offset". But that button is grayed out.

Mike Null
06-18-2010, 3:18 PM
It sounds like just adding .0075" to the height and width would give you half the kerf measurement.

Control Q is a short cut for converting to curves.

Depending on the thickness of the material just cutting from the back may do the job.

Michael Wintermute
06-18-2010, 5:27 PM
Are you using the interactive contour tool, I can only find an offset tool in the "Bitmap" pull down under the "Distort" and then "Offset". But that button is grayed out.

Oops, Got caught working from memory(on the upper side of mid 50s) and mixed up with a Autocad command.

Yes, I use the Contour Tool. and "Ctrl+K" is the correct shortcut for break-apart.

I use three-quarters of the kerf as it will fit tighter and leave the inlay slightly proud.(mostly a starting piont give or take .001")

Mike, I used-to just turn them(Inner PC.) over but wanted it to be tighter and if I am making a pc. for someone else to inlay at there workshop it keeps them coming back.

Sorry for the incorrect tools quote http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

Mike

Steven Wallace
06-18-2010, 9:18 PM
Mike & Michael, No problem, Thanks for the hints... sounds like we are all on the same page... especially me!:)