PDA

View Full Version : Review of Lost Art Press - The Essential Woodworker

mike holden
06-16-2010, 8:34 PM
Lost Art Press will be publishing a reprint of Robert Wearing's "The Essential Woodworker"
Ordering before July 15 will also get you a pdf file of the book.

This review is of the pdf and I will compare it to the 1998 publication by B.T. Batsford Ltd, 583 Fulham Road, London SW6 5BY; ISBN: 0 7134 8005 X

This is another well chosen book for reprinting. Lots of information for the beginner covering basic woodworking skills. Covered is: Planing, sharpening, adjusting the plane, how to plane,producing to size, squaring, sawing, screwing, and boring. Many line illustrations and a logical progression of information make it easy to understand and to practice.

The author calls this a "pre-textbook" and it is, it covers the basics admirably.

Once the basic tools are covered, the author goes on to describe how to use a design brief, then to create a table (or stool), a carcase and doors, finishing with treatise on drawers, handles, and boxes.

Along the way he covers the major joints and how to make them, adding them in a logical progression as the projects are built.

Finally, there are appendices covering appliances and other aids.

A full course in woodworking in one well designed book. Thanks to Lost Art Press for making this available at a reasonable price. (currently used copies start at $88 plus on Alibris)

As for what is different, for whatever reason, the photographs in the 1998 printing are not in the pdf, instead they have restaged and rephotographed them. Therein lies the only real concern I have.

mike holden
06-16-2010, 8:46 PM
For instance, in the section on tables, when making a tenon, the use of the router plane is discussed. The author suggest screwing a scrap block of the proper size onto the router to keep it stable. The 1998 version shows the scrap block:

The pdf does not, it does show the matching piece which works, but it does not match the printed statement.

Also, when discussing dovetails, the author shows what he calls a "superior dovetail marker",

the pdf retains the caption, but shows a different style of marker.

Finally, the egregious error is in the following:
When discussing the stance to be used for planing, the diagram is retained

However, the pdf has a picture in which the left foot does not match the diagram

The 1998 printing has an appropriately stanced model

Hopefully, this error and the router plane can be rectified prior to printing.

(And really, sandals in the shop? not the best example of safety is it?)

Conclusion:

If you do not have this book, get it! Small niggles aside, this is a well-written book that all can learn from and all will go back to as a reference for shop practices.

Well Done Lost Art Press!

Mike Holden

Rick Erickson
06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Nice review. I would have never noticed those things. I've got my copy. I'm reading the PDF right now.

Rick Markham
06-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Once y'all fully examine the PDF, would you kindly share the other differences you find. I would really like to get this book, but would like to know if the original ends up being that much better. I would rather spend some time finding an original if everything is kind of hokey.

Dave Anderson NH
06-17-2010, 9:50 AM
Thanks for the review Mike. I don't have this one, but I've got a couple of Robert Wearing's other books and they are very well done. What I particularly like is his avoidance of fancy one use store bought gadgets and the emphasis on making simple aids from common shop items.

mike holden
06-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Once y'all fully examine the PDF, would you kindly share the other differences you find. I would really like to get this book, but would like to know if the original ends up being that much better. I would rather spend some time finding an original if everything is kind of hokey.

Rick, since the original seems to be going for $80 to $250 plus for a 17.95 list price book, I cannot recommend searching for an original. The written content is, so far, exactly the same as the 1998 version, the line drawings around the text are the same. For some reason, this new version has new photographs. These are recreations of the originals with the above noted errors. There are also some additional line graphics added to the chapter headings as eye candy.

Another point, there are only about 45 photographs, and over 500 line drawings. You could remove the photographs entirely and still have a coherent book.

Dont wait for a reasonably priced original, and dont expect the pdf file to be available forever, the advertisement says it is a teaser for ordering the book early.

Mike

Ken Peluso
06-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Working in an industry that deal with photographers and photo usage rights etc., there very well may be a legal issue with Lost Art Press being able to use the original photos. Or the rights-holder for the original images may want too much money to make the book affordable both to LAP and us.

I purchased the book immediately following the email Lost Art sent and received the PDF within an hour. Im on my second read-through now and not having ever seen the original, I have no problems with the photography and do agree with Mike that if you read the book, review the line drawings, and ignore the photos, you still have a great book at a great price.

Rick Markham
06-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Rick, since the original seems to be going for $80 to $250 plus for a 17.95 list price book, I cannot recommend searching for an original. The written content is, so far, exactly the same as the 1998 version, the line drawings around the text are the same. For some reason, this new version has new photographs. These are recreations of the originals with the above noted errors. There are also some additional line graphics added to the chapter headings as eye candy.

Another point, there are only about 45 photographs, and over 500 line drawings. You could remove the photographs entirely and still have a coherent book.

Dont wait for a reasonably priced original, and dont expect the pdf file to be available forever, the advertisement says it is a teaser for ordering the book early.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I will definitely jump on it then. I am very much a visual learner, if all the "eyecandy" is off then I will be off too LOL

Zach England
06-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Is that guy wearing a tie?

Christopher Schwarz
06-17-2010, 12:54 PM
FYI, The original photos were lost. Restaging the photos was the only option. Yes, some slight changes were made, and they were approved by Mr. Wearing.

There also are minor text changes throughout that Mr. Wearing sent us.

One other difference (and this is me on a personal soapbox): Buying this version supports Mr. Wearing with royalty payments (which I might add are more generous than is typical). He contributed a lot to the world of woodworking in his long career, and this is my way of helping support him in his retirement and thank him for all he's done for my work.

Off soapbox.

Chris

Andrew Pitonyak
06-17-2010, 1:31 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on this Mike... My copy is ordered, as are a few other things :D

Had to order at least one DVD by C Schwarz, another book, and a hat as well.

Rick Markham
06-17-2010, 2:40 PM
FYI, The original photos were lost. Restaging the photos was the only option. Yes, some slight changes were made, and they were approved by Mr. Wearing.

There also are minor text changes throughout that Mr. Wearing sent us.

One other difference (and this is me on a personal soapbox): Buying this version supports Mr. Wearing with royalty payments (which I might add are more generous than is typical). He contributed a lot to the world of woodworking in his long career, and this is my way of helping support him in his retirement and thank him for all he's done for my work.

Off soapbox.

Chris

Thanks for chiming in Chris! I must say I am a big fan of your work and appreciate your input. I jumped on the opportunity and ordered mine this afternoon. I also picked up one of your DVD's while I was at it ;)

mike holden
06-17-2010, 9:00 PM
Is that guy wearing a tie?

Yes he is, many of the pictures of English teachers of manual skills show the instructors wearing a tie. I have a set of videotapes with an English instructor wherein he wears an ascot throughout.

I think that prior to the war (WWII) most workers wore ties at work.

He looks rather elegant doesn't he? BTW, I also believe that that is Robert Wearing himself. I have another book by him on routers and there is an interview with him along with pictures - looks mighty similar, but there is no positive ID.

Mike