PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly P0513X2 owners - Did you upgrade parts of your bandsaw?

Billy Trinh
06-16-2010, 5:20 PM
The 513P@$698 going on currently got my attention, but now i'm on the fence between 513P and 513x2. For $200 more, I'd get about $500 worth of upgrades (according to rough calculation of the parts price difference). However, I don't want to pay a premium only to upgrade it again later for things like fence, resaw fence, guide, etc.

So question for those who have a 513x2, do you use and satisfy with original parts? which components did you upgrade?

Thanks,
Billy

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 6:09 PM
The 513P@$698 going on currently got my attention, but now i'm on the fence between 513P and 513x2. For $200 more, I'd get about $500 worth of upgrades (according to rough calculation of the parts price difference). However, I don't want to pay a premium only to upgrade it again later for things like fence, resaw fence, guide, etc.

So question for those who have a 513x2, do you use and satisfy with original parts? which components did you upgrade?

Thanks,
Billy

If you want it to be a long term saw I would get the X2. The fence on the X2 is completely satisfactory for the saw and a $90 upgrade and the cast trunnions are $90. Those two things alone are worth $180. The extra money for the X2 is indeed well spent. For most the X2 guides are going to be fine, Carters are better but $170. There really isn't anything worth upgrading on the X2 that it wouldn't make sense just to buy a better saw instead of upgrading, that can not be said of the 513 which has lots of potential to upgrade but then it is not cost effective compared to the X2 UNLESS you need to spread the investment over time.

glenn bradley
06-16-2010, 6:13 PM
I have the "X" and use the stock fence with one small mod (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107952&highlight=fence). I have been very happy with the saw.

Bruce Darrow
06-16-2010, 9:34 PM
I took delivery last week of my new 513X2B. I was pleasantly surprised.

The fence that came with it is not the one pictured in the catalog (aluminum rail), but rather that which is standard on the 19" saws - steel rail, taller fence - and, as advertised, complete w/ resaw attachment. Very nice surprise!

Additionally, the cast iron wheels are the "bear" cutout type, again, not shown for this saw in the catalog. Pure bling, but nevertheless.....

The bottom support bearing adjustment is threaded - not sure if this is different from earlier models or not, but much nicer than the upper one, especially considering the very limited access space.

Now as the fence is a separate box in the crate, it may be that I simply got lucky, or it may be that Grizzly has upgraded the saw. The other two unexpected bonuses make me suspect the latter.

I'm glad I spent the extra $ for the motor brake. Nice feature.

Great saw. Highly recommended.

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm glad I spent the extra $ for the motor brake. Nice feature.

Great saw. Highly recommended.

Congrats on the new saw and good choice on the motor brake since they don't offer a foot brake which I prefer.

Dave Avery
06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Have an X2 - only upgrade is a high end Lenox blade which was $150 for which I'd have gladly paid $300.......

Billy Trinh
06-18-2010, 3:53 AM
Thanks! Took the plunge and ordered the 513x2.

Van Huskey
06-18-2010, 4:03 AM
:) I think in the end you will see it is money well spent. Even if you do decide somewhere down the road to do some mods and or upgrades you started with a better platform. With the current pricing the Polar 513P is more tempting than usual and is an excellent choice for someone who is stretching a budget or wants to add a second saw for curves and general use for not much more than a 14" cast "clone", but if the budget is there the X2 makes a lot more sense!

Bruce Darrow
06-18-2010, 6:05 AM
I'd be interested to know if your saw has the same upgrades mine does.

Let us know.

Congrats on a good decision. Either way, I think you'll be very happy with it.

Billy Trinh
06-18-2010, 12:55 PM
It'll be my only bandsaw and the biggest purchase until I hit a lottery. You guys did a great job at helping me spend more lol. The budget wasn't there before the sale! :D. Now I need some reasons to justify the purchase with my other accountant ;).

Van Huskey
06-18-2010, 1:09 PM
Now I need some reasons to justify the purchase with my other accountant ;).

Gotta build her something with it... if that doesn't work shoes. If shoes work for your wife let me suggest something with a red sole, you may not know what it "says" but you wife probably will. Christian Louboutin is the female equal of a good bandsaw, in more ways than one.

Billy Trinh
06-18-2010, 6:03 PM
I took delivery last week of my new 513X2B. I was pleasantly surprised.

The fence that came with it is not the one pictured in the catalog (aluminum rail), but rather that which is standard on the 19" saws - steel rail, taller fence - and, as advertised, complete w/ resaw attachment. Very nice surprise!

That sounds right. the X2 has cast iron fence + resaw fence according to spec. the 513P has aluminum fence.

Bruce Darrow
06-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Billy,

Yep, a cast iron fence was spec'd. However, the one pictured in the catalog as well as in the summer sale flyer is considerably less tall than the one that came with my saw, and rides on an extruded aluminum rail. Check out the photos of the GO636X or the GO701 saws, and compare those fences with that shown for the saw you've ordered. That's what I got.

I'll take a steel rail over aluminum any day. As I said, I don't know whether I just got lucky or not, but I sure ain't complaining! Hope your saw comes with the same.

Let us all know after it arrives. Might help make someone else's decision easier.

Richard Dragin
06-18-2010, 11:59 PM
I still love my 513 x2.

Billy Trinh
06-19-2010, 4:16 AM
Billy,

Yep, a cast iron fence was spec'd. However, the one pictured in the catalog as well as in the summer sale flyer is considerably less tall than the one that came with my saw, and rides on an extruded aluminum rail. Check out the photos of the GO636X or the GO701 saws, and compare those fences with that shown for the saw you've ordered. That's what I got.

I'll take a steel rail over aluminum any day. As I said, I don't know whether I just got lucky or not, but I sure ain't complaining! Hope your saw comes with the same.

Let us all know after it arrives. Might help make someone else's decision easier.

Will let you know Tuesday :) From the pix for 513x2b (http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion-Brake-/G0513X2B), it looks like your fence is the same as the 636x fence. However, the 513x2 has the aluminum rail and lower fence like the 555x or 514x. So seems like you get brake + fence upgrade for the x2b. Would be nice if I get it on the x2 but not holding my breath tho.

Billy Trinh
06-19-2010, 4:20 AM
I still love my 513 x2.

Quick question, Do you leave the resaw fence attached all the time or only during resaw?

Van Huskey
06-19-2010, 3:24 PM
Quick question, Do you leave the resaw fence attached all the time or only during resaw?

I leave the fence on a BS all the time unless I need the last little bit of throat depth, just like I crosscut on the TS with the rip fence all the way to the left except on the rare occasion when I need the extra room.

Billy Trinh
06-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Took delivery last night. The truck came when sun was nearly down. Somehow, I'm always the last delivery stop when it comes to receiving packages. The flimsy crate was broken in few places but no damage to the saw. I managed to uncrate it, assemble and cleanup the gummy gunk on the table and fence, put it on a temporary mover's dolly to find the best location for it.

Next step is to tune it up, wire the plug and try it out. speaking of plugs, I had a 220v circuit installed with 4 wires using 14-30 receptacle (http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20References/plugandreceptacleconfiguratio.htm#30 Amp.). The saw come with 3 wires green, black, and white while the 14-30 plug expects a green, black, red, white. Should I wire it green->green, black->black, white->red and leave the white on the plug empty?

Or do I need to replace the whole receptacle and plug to 3 wire (6-30) and leave the 4th wire unconnected?

Oh, btw, the fence came with it was the lower cast iron fence with aluminum rail, not the 636x fence
Thanks

jerry nazard
06-23-2010, 7:14 PM
The saw come with 3 wires green, black, and white while the 14-30 plug expects a green, black, red, white. Should I wire it green->green, black->black, white->red and leave the white on the plug empty?

Or do I need to replace the whole receptacle and plug to 3 wire (6-30) and leave the 4th wire unconnected?

Billy,

I'm not an electrician, but if it were me, I'd just swap the receptacle and cap the unused neutral.

As to the saw - congrats!! You will love it!!

-Jerry

Bruce Darrow
06-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Well......so now we all know.

For an extra $100, you get a brake, which works quite well, a better fence and rail, and bling CI wheels.

That would be a no-brainer for me, were I still in the decision making process.

Thanks for the response, and enjoy your new toy!

Billy Trinh
06-24-2010, 5:31 AM
Billy,

I'm not an electrician, but if it were me, I'd just swap the receptacle and cap the unused neutral.

As to the saw - congrats!! You will love it!!

-Jerry

Thanks. I probably will do that but gonna check on the workshop section first. currently i don't have any 4 wire machine but would hate it later if i have to switch back to 4 wire receptacle and have to swap out plugs.

Bruce, Seems like all the upgrades are $100-$200 a part :). I didn't want to spend 4 digit on a machine so i forego the break& fence for $150 more. The 513p->513x2 seems to be more value for the price difference to me. The lower fence with resaw fence seems pretty solid that will serve me well for a while. It was a bit out of square with the table but a paper thin shim brought it back to alignment. Have fun with your 513b. I'll test drive mine this weekend after it's all tuned up:cool:

eugene thomas
06-25-2010, 4:53 AM
ordered the 513 with break on monday through the grizz auction on ebay. I didn't pay till wednesday (long story) and delivery company called yesterday to deliver today (friday) now thats quick and only coast $30 dollars for lift gate.