PDA

View Full Version : So long, Buddy......

Mike Svoma
06-16-2010, 4:40 PM
My sister had a special friend named Buddy that passed away last week. He was pretty old, in cat terms, 16 years. he just got too sick and couldn't hold on any longer. :(:(:( She asked if I could make her an urn for his ashes. "Of course I can" was the only answer I could give her. The attached photos show the urn that I made for her beloved Buddy. It is made from a piece of Jeff Nicol boxelder that I was saving for a special project, with a walnut collar and a boxelder top. I still need to do some sanding and finish work on it but I think it turned out good. C&C welcome

Almost forgot....about 6" diameter x 8" tall

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2010, 5:43 PM
Really nice ern Mike. I am sure she appreciated it. Well done.

Roland Martin
06-16-2010, 5:49 PM
I'm sure your friend will be very happy with that. Very nice work and great wood.

David E Keller
06-16-2010, 6:04 PM
Nicely done... I'll bet your sister will treasure it.

Karl Card
06-16-2010, 6:39 PM
To be honest IF it were ugly it would still be beautiful due to the reason behind it.... it just so happens it is beautiful and has a beautiful story behind it...

John Keeton
06-16-2010, 7:38 PM
It is made from a piece of Jeff Nicol boxelder that I was saving for a special project....And, special this project is!! Excellent work, Mike, and I am sure your sister will be most appreciative. The form seems most fitting for the intended purpose.

While I am far from a lover of cats (way far!!), I certainly can appreciate the fondness one builds for a pet of that many years. I feel for your sister.:(

Matt Ranum
06-16-2010, 11:01 PM
A very nice and worthwhile project. I keep waiting for my cat to kick the bucket, she turns 20 this year :eek: and still fairly spry for an old nag.:p But she does a good job of keeping the 2 year old Lab in line.

James Combs
06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Very nice. My ashes would be happy in that urn.

Michelle Rich
06-17-2010, 6:46 AM
I'm sure the cat & your sister will enjoy the urn. Good for you, brother

Jeff Luedloff
06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Mike, I make a alot of pet Urns in a years time and posted a few here at Sawmill. I like your design and wood color contrast. being made by you will make it a more special place for Buddy.

David Hostetler
06-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately I have had to do 2 projects this year for similar reasons... Admittedly flat work. I am not ready with my turning to do something like an urn...

Sorry for the reason to have to do this... But you made something your sister will treasure...

Steve Mawson
06-17-2010, 2:27 PM
Mike,
Very fitting piece. Will be a great rememberance. Well done and I bet Buddy is thanking you as he rests.

Mike Svoma
06-17-2010, 5:21 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, guys and gals.