PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a new Planer

Ryan Eldridge
06-16-2010, 4:30 PM
Hi there all,

Well I have decided to get a new planer for my shop, so I posted my 5 year old (I had it for three of those years) Ridgid lunchbox on Craigslist and it went pretty quick.

So now I am looking for a new planer I currently have about $800 saved up for one. The problem here is Boise is that there does not seem to be many used 15" planers advertised.

There is a Jet 12" jointer planer for sale on craigslist but the gentleman wants $1500 for it and he says it is about 18 months old, I figure for that price I would just get a brand new one. I offered him $1k, he laughed at that.

Any suggestions of what to look at and where to look?

Currently I have a Delta 6" jointer that gets me through most of my jointing tasks, so if I went with a combo machine I could get some money out of the jointer and free up a little space in the shop.

Thank you for any advice.

Cary Falk
06-16-2010, 4:40 PM
Grizzly G0453. I think there is one on E-Bay being sold by Grizzly. If not contact the Grizzly e-bay team and they will put one on for you. Use Bing cashback and you can save an additional 8%.

Bill ThompsonNM
06-16-2010, 5:23 PM
I think you're options are probably something like the Grizzly--or extend your search to further outlying cities for Craigslist. It looks like Portland has a lot of planers recently.. salt lake looks like zip.. I've made trips from Albuquerque to Phoenix and Denver for equipment. If you just add the cost of the trip it doesn't look attractive, but if you add the extra points I get for taking the LOML for a weekend outing... it works out great!

You might also check the industrial used equipment web sites... most of them have equipment all over the place and you might happen to find a real deal somewhere locally.

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 5:40 PM
Grizzly G0453. .

+1 The least expensive new option. ~$1100 shipped with lift gate. For a little less than a grand more you can get the G0633 12" J/P.

Stan Mitchell
06-16-2010, 5:53 PM
+2 on the Grizzly G0453, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the lunch box style.

The G0453P is currently shown at $1042 delivered.

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 6:01 PM
+2 on the Grizzly G0453, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the lunch box style.

The G0453P is currently shown at $1042 delivered.

I forgot about the Polar bears! So about $1080 liftgate delivered.

Greg Portland
06-16-2010, 6:02 PM
Jointer Planers are a great solution because they are cheaper than separate units of similar quality. Unfortunately, they are still expensive. If you want a jointer planer I would look at the euro options (hammer, felder, etc.) or Minimax. I doubt that you'll find one for $1k in Boise.

You should easily be able to find a good used 15" 3HP+ planer for $1k.

Howard Bueling
06-16-2010, 6:45 PM
Grizzly G0453. I think there is one on E-Bay being sold by Grizzly. If not contact the Grizzly e-bay team and they will put one on for you. Use Bing cashback and you can save an additional 8%.

You'd better hurry Bing Cashback is done July 30th.

Stan Mitchell
06-16-2010, 8:11 PM
liftgate delivered

A little off topic, but just as a heads up for potential equipment buyers:

My Grizzly equipment purchases have been delivered by FexEx freight and in my area all their trucks have lift gates. So I've never had to pay for the liftgate service. :D

I'm about 100+ miles from the OP's Boise location - don't know if it's the same freight arrangement there.

Ryan Eldridge
06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I am leaning towards that Grizzly. Either the one on Ebay or the polar bear series.

I keep looking at those combo machines though, if I could convince my better half of the need then maybe she could help free up some money :)

Thanks for the advice ... so much to think about...

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I am leaning towards that Grizzly. Either the one on Ebay or the polar bear series.

I keep looking at those combo machines though, if I could convince my better half of the need then maybe she could help free up some money :)

Thanks for the advice ... so much to think about...

Everything she wants built REQUIRES a 12" jointer...

Also you can ask Grizzly to put anything on eBay for Bing purposes, they usually will.

Ryan Eldridge
06-17-2010, 9:30 PM
That is the route I am thinking of going plus telling her that it is such a pain for me to set the blades on my litter jointer... it would be much better for me to get something I know I could just go out to the shop and use knowing that it is accurate.

how does that work :)

Van Huskey
06-17-2010, 10:05 PM
That is the route I am thinking of going plus telling her that it is such a pain for me to set the blades on my litter jointer... it would be much better for me to get something I know I could just go out to the shop and use knowing that it is accurate.

how does that work :)

Thats good and a better argument for a helical head...:D

Not knowng your wife that might derail the train as it is about a $450 upcharge...

scott vroom
06-18-2010, 12:07 AM
+1 on the Griz G0453. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. I purchased mine equipped with the spiral cutter head....I cannot believe how quiet the machine runs vs the lunchbox planers. Also, ZERO snipe.

Ryan Eldridge
06-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Ok guys and gals to dig back up this thread I have been reading and reading about combo planers/jointers. I really like the thought of saving the space in my smaller shop. I talked with my wife and she says it is ok to go with what I need (within reason).

So I am looking at the following:
Grizzly G0634Z this is the lowest price 12" J/P with a spiral head to my door. It seems well reviewed the drawbacks are I will have to rewire a circuit for the larger motor (not a big deal 220 circuit is only about 3-ft from panel) and I kind of like the looks of the euro-style guard. Anyone in Boise have a similar machine I can look at?

Jet JJP-12HH this is about three hundred more than the Grizzly currently seems pretty well reviewed has the Euro style guard, would not have to rewire the circuit for this one. I have not been able to see if anyone in town will match the online prices, again anyone in Boise have one?

Then the big question the Hammer A3-31 is on sale for $3,358 delivered. It has the great reputation, but it has the straight blades. It would be nice having that machine but at over $1k more I am not sure I can justify the price for occasional home shop use. Hammer is trying find someone nearby for me to go and take a look at one it does not seem that Boise is a Hammer Felder hotbed though.

Anyone have any thoughts one these?

scott vroom
06-21-2010, 10:37 PM
I own the Grizzly G0453X with the spiral cutter and am very happy with the performance. I've never used a combo J/P but have read they can be inconvenient if you need to switch frequently from jointer to planer etc.

I cannot afford to stock up on expensive european tools, nor do I believe they will make me a better woodworker. If you're an occaisional home shop user then go with the Griz or Jet and I'm sure you won't regret it.

Good luck with your decision.