PDA

View Full Version : Old bandsaw noisy motor question...

Jason White
06-16-2010, 1:22 PM
I have a 20-year-old JET bandsaw and the original 3/4 HP motor still runs fine, but it's making a lot of noise -- almost like a high-pitched squeal when it's running. The noise happens regardless of whether the belt is attached or not.

Do these things have bearings or something inside that I can repair or replace myself?

Jason

Don Jarvie
06-16-2010, 1:52 PM
Probably the bearings. If you rotate the shaft by hand and listen closely does it sound like they are grinding? Good bearings should make no noise.

Its pretty easy to change out the bearings. You can also give everything a cleaning while its open.

If you want to take this on I can post more details. OWWM has more info also.

Jason White
06-16-2010, 2:54 PM
It's more of a squeaking-type sound.

I'm definitely going to take this on myself (can't really afford a new motor right now).

Jason

Probably the bearings. If you rotate the shaft by hand and listen closely does it sound like they are grinding? Good bearings should make no noise.

Its pretty easy to change out the bearings. You can also give everything a cleaning while its open.

If you want to take this on I can post more details. OWWM has more info also.

Lee Schierer
06-16-2010, 3:06 PM
Yes motors have bearings inside. It may or may not be easy to replace them depending upon the type of bearing used. If the bearing was pressed on the armature shaft then it will require a puller to get it off. If the bearings are mounted in the housing only replacement is generally easier.

The first step is to look at each end of the motor housing where the shaft comes out of the motor. If there are small plastic plugs or oil cups your motor has sleeve bearings and it is likely they are dry. You'll want to pull the plugs and put in a few drops of oil, wait an hour or three and put in a few more drops, then wait 24 hours or more before trying the motor. If the squeak is gone you are good to go, but remember to add a few drops of oil every 6 months.

Don Jarvie
06-17-2010, 1:09 PM
Definitely look at OWWM.org and OWWM.com has a lot of info in the WIKI section.

Write down the numbers from the bearings and measure the inside, outside diameter and width of the bearing. Also measure the width of the shaft.

Take pictures of each step along the way so you have some reference.

I'll be out of town for the next week but after that I'd be happy to meet and help out of you need any.

Don