PDA

View Full Version : Bonsai Tree Table

Bob Reda
06-16-2010, 6:39 AM
A few years ago someone posted a vector file of a Bonsai tree table, I've searched through all the archives and am able to locate it. Can somone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Bob

Frank Corker
06-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Bob look at the posts made by Joe Pelonio, I'm sure that was one of his designs.

Frank Corker
06-16-2010, 12:08 PM
I kept it. I think this is the one.

Bob Reda
06-16-2010, 4:37 PM
Thats the one Frank, Thanks a million.

Bob

Joe Pelonio
06-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Someone else a woodworker and bonsai enthusiast? Or is it for a customer?

Just curious, I have about 75 bonsai currently. Don't need many tables though, since I hardly ever display them except here at home.

Frank Corker
06-17-2010, 5:07 AM
Joe take a few pics, I'd be interested in seeing them, what's the oldest that you have?

Joe Pelonio
06-17-2010, 7:54 AM
Joe take a few pics, I'd be interested in seeing them, what's the oldest that you have?
I'm leaving today for a ten day road trip, but have this picture of my oldest from a few months ago. It's over 140 years old, a Mountain Hemlock that came from Vancouver Island, BC. No, I'm not quite that old, it was dug at
already 130.

Mike Null
06-17-2010, 8:11 AM
Joe

That is beautiful.

How do you determine the age? (assuming you weren't there):D

Dee Gallo
06-17-2010, 9:30 AM
Wow Joe, that is spectacular - I went to a Bonsai exhibition in SF once which was picketed by the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Trees ... couldn't believe such a group existed, but that's California for ya.

:) dee

Frank Corker
06-17-2010, 9:31 AM
That is beautiful. 140 year old, jeepers!

Belinda Barfield
06-17-2010, 1:47 PM
Joe has posted quite a few photos of his bonsai beauties on the Off Topic forum. He has some beautiful specimens.

Larry Bratton
06-17-2010, 2:26 PM
Gosh..how did that poem go..I think I shall never see anything as lovely as tree? Especially one of Joe's. How do you determine how old it is?

Bob Reda
06-17-2010, 4:41 PM
Joe,

Thanks for the file. You have a very lovely Bonsai plant. Are yousure you didn't plant it? :) Actually I needed the file for both reasons you asked about. I am starting a little nursery and wanted to have a couple bonsai plants for display. Now if I can only wait 140 years :)

Joe Pelonio
06-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Wow Joe, that is spectacular - I went to a Bonsai exhibition in SF once which was picketed by the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Trees ... couldn't believe such a group existed, but that's California for ya.

:) dee
Naturally, we are on the way down there now. Staying over at Salem, Oregon then another 8 hours driving tomorrow. Hopefully we'll see the sun.

There are several methods for determining the age of a tree, the counting of rings sometimes works for bonsai because one might remove a large branch and create a hollow and have s good sample. On the other hand, some aging is done by counting nodes on the branches and knowing average growth rates for that variety in that area. Naturally the most accurate method is carbon dating. In this case I don't know what method was used, however it was given to me by a good friend who obtained it from a well known collector of "yamadori", or trees from the wild for bonsai, and I trust his judgment. Seeing a closeup of the base of the trunk it does look like one of the old forest trees but just stunted.

Dan Hintz
06-20-2010, 8:21 AM
Tried my hand at Bonsai trees once... once ;) I don't believe I ever killed it, but it started out looking much better than when I "released it back into the wild", so to speak. That was during my college days, so maybe lack of time was the issue.

Bill Cunningham
06-22-2010, 8:52 PM
I'm leaving today for a ten day road trip, but have this picture of my oldest from a few months ago. It's over 140 years old, a Mountain Hemlock that came from Vancouver Island, BC. No, I'm not quite that old, it was dug at
already 130.

Wow... BC grows some amazing plant life, unfortunately a lot of it gets confiscated by the cops 'before' you can salvage the best parts :rolleyes:

Joe Pelonio
06-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Wow... BC grows some amazing plant life, unfortunately a lot of it gets confiscated by the cops 'before' you can salvage the best parts :rolleyes:
We've spent some time the last few days hiking in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe, and have seen some pretty amazing old distorted/dwarfed Ponderosa Pines that I'd love to have dug up for my collection. Unfortunately all on national forest lands and no time to go get a permit this trip, if they are even available there. I do practice good ethics in tree collecting.

Glenn Chua
02-23-2011, 2:26 PM
Joe, I've searched out all your bonsai posts for pictures. They are amazing!

I just recently purchased my first bonsai on Valentine's for the wife (standard juniper bonsai with umbrella shape) We both love it and in order to learn to care for it properly we have picked up several books from the library. We have both already spent hours researching/learning about Bonsai on the net... I think we have finally found a hobby that both my wife and I can share. All my other hobbies don't quite fit with her tastes ;)

I copied your base and added some notches/finger joints. Modeling was done in Google SketchUp and exported as *.dxf to Corel. I will be cutting this out of 1/4" Baltic Birch Ply this weekend. I'll post pics when I"m done.

We have our eye on a Japanese Maple Bonsai at a local nursery... I can see this has potential to get a bit expensive !!

Joe Pelonio
02-23-2011, 3:51 PM
Eventually, if you have any money left to buy wood, you may have to make many more stands. It's easy
to get carried away. I had 74 trees last time I counted, and will be picking up another dozen saplings in
a couple of weeks.

Chris DeGerolamo
02-23-2011, 4:50 PM
Joe

That is beautiful.

How do you determine the age? (assuming you weren't there):D

cut it in half and count the rings hahaha