PDA

View Full Version : beginner wood hunt in the quad cities area

Michael James
06-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi everybody! New guy on the block here. I've fired a couple of emails to Jeff N, but dont know another soul. I live in the desert (albuquerque, NM) and all decent wood I know of is not cheap.
I will be in the quad cities area on July 17th (sat) weekend. I would love to buy a couple of nice chunks of wood at a fair rate. Not a lot because we're flying.
If you are willing to assist, I'd be grateful for a really long time. I bought a mini lathe in the winter to turn a couple of pens..... and, well, you know how it goes. I think y'all use the term vortex.... yeppers, tis a deep rabbit hole for sure.
Total respect to all here. I like the friendly environment, and supportive nature of your feedback. Im a therapist looking to retire in a few more yrs, but have done furniture and formica work in the past. The lathe is becoming a jealous mistress. Pls help.

Quad cities is Moline, Rock Island, Illinois / Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa.

If you can/will help PM me here.
Big Thanks!
Michael

:)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Michael..........Welcome to the Creek!

As the signature of one our fellow Creekers says "Sawdust is better than Prozac!"

Again...Welcome!

Richard Madison
06-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Michael, Another big Welcome to the Creek! Hope someone in that area can fix you with some nice wood.

Reed Gray
06-16-2010, 12:26 AM
You can ship pretty cheap in the flat rate postal boxes. Large one is 12 x12 x 5 1/2 inches, and costs about $14 to ship no matter how much it weighs.

robo hippy

John Keeton
06-16-2010, 6:19 AM
Welcome, Michael!! Jeff has plenty of wood at fair prices, so I am sure you will be able to get some from him. Another source I use is Mike Smith at Century Tree Turnings (http://easternncwoodworkers.com/msmith/woodblocks.htm). No affiliation with either, except for the money they now have that used to be mine!!:D

Donny Lawson
06-16-2010, 7:35 AM
Michael,
If you will send me a PM with an address I can ship you some "GREEN" wood just for the shipping cost.I have more wood than I know what to do with.Maybe I'll have something you can use.Walnut,Maple Mulberry,Cherry,Oak.,or I might come up with something else.
Donny

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-16-2010, 9:49 AM
Hi everybody! New guy on the block here. I've fired a couple of emails to Jeff N, but dont know another soul. I live in the desert (albuquerque, NM) and all decent wood I know of is not cheap.
I will be in the quad cities area on July 17th (sat) weekend. I would love to buy a couple of nice chunks of wood at a fair rate. Not a lot because we're flying.
If you are willing to assist, I'd be grateful for a really long time. I bought a mini lathe in the winter to turn a couple of pens..... and, well, you know how it goes. I think y'all use the term vortex.... yeppers, tis a deep rabbit hole for sure.
Total respect to all here. I like the friendly environment, and supportive nature of your feedback. Im a therapist looking to retire in a few more yrs, but have done furniture and formica work in the past. The lathe is becoming a jealous mistress. Pls help.

Big Thanks!
Michael

Hi Michael
I'm from the Quad Cities.
I usually have to work most week ends. but am usualy avaiable in the evenings.
I'd be Glad to help you gett a few nice pieces.
Send me a private message here with your phone # and a good time to contact you. (evenings) and I'll call you.
Joe Meirhaeghe

bob svoboda
06-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Michael. Can't think of anywhere a therapist is needed more:D
Good Luck on your wood hunt.

Michael James
06-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Michael. Can't think of anywhere a therapist is needed more:D
Good Luck on your wood hunt.

Im touched by the greetings and responses. I think I've found a great place to hang out during downtime. And by the way, I work in the criminal justice system, so Im sorry, you folks do not qualify for the seriously disturbed "clientele" I deal with day in, day out.
If anyone is feeling a little too neurotic and want some counseling, I will therapize for wood!:cool:

Since I live in the southwest, I'm emulating the pottery forms I've known all my life, but I am not a historian, just trying to turn what comes to mind. I will be sure to post a pic of wood received by "y'all"
Thanks again,
Michael

John Hart
06-17-2010, 6:19 AM
...And by the way, I work in the criminal justice system, so Im sorry, you folks do not qualify for the seriously disturbed "clientele" I deal with day in, day out....

I'm seriously disturbed....but turning wood helps...so I'm not going to pay you with my medication. :)

Welcome to the abyss Michael.

I look at pottery m'self. It's a good idea-spurrer-onner sorta thing. :)

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2010, 8:08 AM
Welcome Michael. Don't mind John Hart. He has just been sniffing lacquer for tooooooooo long.:eek::D:rolleyes: Hic.....oops maybe I have to.:D

John Hart
06-17-2010, 9:02 AM
Welcome Michael. Don't mind John Hart. He has just been sniffing lacquer for tooooooooo long.:eek::D:rolleyes: Hic.....oops maybe I have to.:D

Careful Bernie....The addiction is very difficult to break....But then, who would want to? :):D

Darrell Abney
06-30-2019, 3:08 PM

Big Thanks!
Michael

Google “quad cities wood turners”. Local wood turning club located in Rock Island, Illinois. Should be a place to e-mail club members and i’m Sure someone would be glad to help you during your visit.

Reed Gray
06-30-2019, 6:47 PM
If you ever swing up north to Oregon, let me know, I have more wood than I can use...

robo hippy

John Keeton
07-01-2019, 5:55 AM
This thread is nearly a decade old!!!!! MJ hasn’t been active on SMC in several years.

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2019, 2:38 PM
This thread is nearly a decade old!!!!! MJ hasn’t been active on SMC in several years.

Yup, I had to go back to the first post in the thread and look at the date again. Wow...almost 10 years ago.