PDA

View Full Version : shaper cutter

James Baker SD
06-15-2010, 11:18 PM
I've had a Delta shaper for about 6 years now. I've always used it with the router bit adapter spindle. Based on my results, I always wondered what was the big deal about shapers over a router table. I always had to make multiple passes and usually got burn marks.

Tonight I finally got around to installing a real shaper cutter I bought a couple of months ago.

WOW! What a difference. Single pass took off the entire cut and it is as smooth as if I had already sanded it.

James

Joe Chritz
06-15-2010, 11:28 PM
yup.

Cutter speed and geometry.

I still use router bits when I have to but really try to stay with good cutters as much as possible.

Joe

Brian Ross
06-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I think the biggest problem when you use router bits in shapers is that router bits run anywhere between 11000 to approx 23000 RPM and most shapers max out in the 10,000 to 11,000 RPM range. This is especially evident with the smaller router bits that require the higher RPM. Second most important tool in your shop when using a shaper is a power feeder. Never ever stand in the path of the piece being shaper as a shaper can kick back like a mule.

Brian

Joe Jensen
06-16-2010, 2:27 AM
Wait until you get a power feeder. I used a shaper for 20 years before getting a feeder. I bought one when I built 56 new raised panel cabinet doors for my house and the way the feeder holds the stock perfectly against the fence and table, and the consistent feed rate made an amazing improvement in the results.

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 3:02 AM
The key issues have been mentioned. The only router bits that should ever be used on a shaper are the huge ones, the rest will be spinning too slow to work correctly.

You have to see a router table and a shaper as two totally different tools that just happen to do similar jobs. A "complete" wood working shop will have both, though some types of work will lean more heavily on one and a few might only need one.

Chip Lindley
06-16-2010, 3:51 AM
Glad you finally Saw the Difference James! A shaper opens up new Vistas in woodworking. Routers certainly have their place, but large mouldings and raised panels belong to the shaper. Enjoy!

James Baker SD
06-16-2010, 1:08 PM
question for those who recommend I add a power feeder. Is a 1/4 hp unit big enough? I have a 3hp shaper, 7000 & 10000 rpm, with 40" x 27" table. I am a weekend hobbyist.

Joe Chritz
06-16-2010, 2:13 PM
The limiting factor in power feeds is the stiffness of the mounting system. There are also variables in feed speed ranges.

A 1/4 horse will work for most things. Obviously bigger is better. I just picked up a 1HP, 4 wheel, 8 speed. The upgrade cost from 1/2 HP to 1 HP wasn't much. It is a big jump from a 1/4 though.

Joe

Peter Quinn
06-16-2010, 5:57 PM
question for those who recommend I add a power feeder. Is a 1/4 hp unit big enough? I have a 3hp shaper, 7000 & 10000 rpm, with 40" x 27" table. I am a weekend hobbyist.

IMO the 1/4 HP feeder will do many but possibly not all of the things that shaper is capable of. Depending on what you use it for it may work for your needs. Start making larger cuts or smaller cuts on larger work pieces, and the bigger feeders make more sense. Do a lot of raised panels and the 1HP feeder makes more sense.

I use the shaper for every thing I possibly can, and use the router table only for things which I can't do with a shaper or for small runs whose cutter cost is beyond my budget on the shaper. The cut is so much better is no comparison.

Joe Chritz
06-16-2010, 6:15 PM
I use the shaper for every thing I possibly can, and use the router table only for things which I can't do with a shaper or for small runs whose cutter cost is beyond my budget on the shaper. The cut is so much better is no comparison.

I hear that. Now that I have a full size feeder I am going to get a spiral head cutter and size all my face frame stock with the shaper and feeder. Just getting ready to build a panel jig but am backed up on projects a bit and the two I have currently are both flat panels.

Joe

Rod Sheridan
06-16-2010, 6:39 PM
Hi James, shapers are amazing machines.

I have a 1/2 HP feeder on mine.

I don't find much difference between 1/2 and 1HP, they both are stiff enough.

The smaller feeders aren't stiff enough in my opinion for good results.....Regards, Rod.

James Baker SD
06-16-2010, 6:58 PM
Hi Rod:

Do you have something like the General 20-220?

James

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 7:03 PM
Hi Rod:

Do you have something like the General 20-220?

James

Rod has one of them new fangled Hammer slider/shaper combo machine thingies. :D

Rod Sheridan
06-16-2010, 8:21 PM
Rod has one of them new fangled Hammer slider/shaper combo machine thingies. :D

With the espresso option............Rod.

Peter Quinn
06-17-2010, 7:08 AM
I hear that. Now that I have a full size feeder I am going to get a spiral head cutter and size all my face frame stock with the shaper and feeder. Just getting ready to build a panel jig but am backed up on projects a bit and the two I have currently are both flat panels.

Joe

I've been looking at one of those Amana spiral heads for a while now. I got a good deal on a 5" 4Z Garniga 50mm rabbit head and use an amana 125mm bearing on it for pattern work. Its not quite a spiral but its big enough that tear out is rare. Sizing with a back fence is a great option to have on the shaper. I'd love to know which spiral you are considering and how it works if you get it.