PDA

View Full Version : Aging Drill Batteries

John Neel
06-15-2010, 10:11 PM
My 14.4 V Makita drill is about 7 years old. When new, the drill would almost twist out of my hand when using it to tighten a nut and the nut tightened to the last fraction of a turn. Now, it won't tighten a nut very well. Moreover, if it has been unused for a few days, when I first use it, it goes rather slowly. After a minute or less, it begins to get some of its strength back, but nothing like it did a few years ago. In an attempt to get some improvement, I have let the batteries go to near zero charge. Now they are charging as I write this. They seem to charge normally.

Can anyone diagnose the problem with just the given information?

Thank you for any help.

John Neel

Jamie Buxton
06-15-2010, 10:51 PM
The batteries are likely wearing out. All rechargeables eventually do that. You've actually gotten a long life from them. To fix the problem, you can buy a new battery pack from Makita or from third-party sources. Or you can have the existing pack rebuilt with new cells.

johnny means
06-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Seven years is a pretty long life span for a rechargable battery. Wait until you see the price of replacements:eek:.

Steve Bracken
06-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Seven years is a pretty long life span for a rechargable battery. Wait until you see the price of replacements:eek:.

That's a real *OUCH* moment.

However, most online battery suppliers will sell the cells, and you can rebuild them yourself for a fraction of the price.

Don Alexander
06-16-2010, 9:15 AM
i have the same issue with a 10yr old dewalt 14.4 v drill that i really like however it makes no sense to me to buy new batteries for it at $75 each when a new drill comes with 2 batteries and a charger for 40 bucks more

Kyle Iwamoto
06-16-2010, 11:57 AM
i have the same issue with a 10yr old dewalt 14.4 v drill that i really like however it makes no sense to me to buy new batteries for it at $75 each when a new drill comes with 2 batteries and a charger for 40 bucks more

+1 AND you get a new better drill. Well, probably better..... Drill technology has come a long way from 10 years ago. If you want to spend a few more dollars, you could probably get an impact driver to boot.

Van Huskey
06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
+2 and if you stay with the same family you can often keep your old tools as well and maybe even your old charger. I have extra drills, impacts and circular saws that have never been used just waiting for the old ones to die, but I have new batteries and extra chargers. Often the old batteries can be put into flashlight service to get even more life out of them when they don't have the oomph left for real tools.

Bruce Page
06-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I just had 4 of my batteries rebuilt by MTO, 2ea 12v PC’s & 2ea 14.4 DeWalt’s. Total price for the four was $150 including shipping. I am very happy with the performance. It would have cost me ~$140 for 2 OEM DeWalt’s. I couldn’t even find replacement batteries for my old PC drill motor.
I have a much better quality battery (better amp/hr rating) that was cheaper than OEM. What’s not to like about that!

Willard Foster
06-16-2010, 12:51 PM
I've had my battery packs rebuild by Batteries Plus. Last time cost me $40.00 for a 14,4 volt.

Bill

Steve Bracken
06-16-2010, 3:36 PM
I've had my battery packs rebuild by Batteries Plus. Last time cost me $40.00 for a 14,4 volt.

Bill

If you are handy with a soldering iron, it's generally pretty easy to rebuild them yourself too .... at an even greater saving.

Ryan Baker
06-16-2010, 9:30 PM
I've got a bunch of Makita 14.4V batteries (NiMH) that completely suck at holding a charge. I've only had them for a few months (but I got the kit on closeout, so they have some years on them sitting on a shelf somewhere). Very disappointing for sure. I have another set of them (hopefully newer), but I can't say yet whether they really hold up any better.

Gerry Grzadzinski
06-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I have a 14.4 Makita, and replaced the batties about 2 years ago. I got them at Amazon, for around $40, which was a lot cheaper than other brands. JUSt checked, and they now want $70 for the same battery. I guess they want you to buy a new drill.

$140 for 2 batteries, or $179 for an 18V Makita Lithium Ion. I'd spend the extra $39.

John Callahan
06-18-2010, 5:55 PM
What Don, Kyle, and Van said............. I was sorely tempted by Makita's 18v Lithium Ion when I was shopping for an impact driver. Decided to go with a 14.4v Mak so I couse use my existing batteries and charger. Haven't regretted it a bit plus it came with another drill in the process. The older pair of batteries are just starting to act like yours and since the drills and impact still work great I'll probably just have the batteries rebuilt.

Dave Lewis
06-18-2010, 9:01 PM
Ryan:

I bought a Makita 18V set as re-manufactured - pleased with the tools but one of the batteries was beat. I bought 2 new from Amazon and the set is really productive.

Dave

Ryan Baker
06-19-2010, 1:35 PM
Ryan:

I bought a Makita 18V set as re-manufactured - pleased with the tools but one of the batteries was beat. I bought 2 new from Amazon and the set is really productive.

Dave

Yeah, I have no complaints with the tool... just need to get some better batteries. Maybe I will put new cells in them.