PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville, FL

Don C Peterson
06-15-2010, 9:34 PM
I'm relocating to Jacksonville Fl from the Kansas City area. Are there any fellow creekers out there who would be willing to share sources for lumber or just general tips on moving and living in that area of the country?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin Begos
06-15-2010, 10:15 PM
You could try these folks, about an hour west of J-ville:

http://www.hardwoodlumberandmillwork.com/

I live a couple hours further west, and use a lot of old growth
wood that has been pulled up from rivers. Cypress and pine,
mostly. Both woods can be amazing if from old growth trees.
The river wood will cost 2-3 times as much as new cypress
or pine, but is worth it.

There are a number of small sawmills in N. Florida,
such as: (also driving distance from J-ville)

http://www.griffislumber.com/

Rick Markham
06-16-2010, 1:49 AM
Don Welcome!!! I relocated from Lawrence Kansas about 8 years ago, to here in Lakeland Florida, HLM the link that was posted is where I do all of my shopping for hardwood lumber. Great folks!! And welcome to Sunny Florida, much nicer winters here ;)

Adam Strong
06-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Don, I live in S.E. Jacksonville, you'll love it here! I moved here from Tulsa, Ok about 2.5 years ago, feel free toPM me if you have any general questions about the area. To answer your question: HLM is the BEST source around here for hardwood. There are a few places in town that supply cabinet shops and such, a good source for Hardwood Ply (if they happen to have what you want). For smaller projects, there is a WoodCraft here on the East side that has a good hardwood selection and great staff.

Aaron Berk
06-16-2010, 6:18 PM
Semper Fi, friend

I'm not in Jax, but I did go to my MOS school at NAS Jax way back when.

I can't help you with your EXACT question, but if you drive down interstate 95 at all, I'm in Savannah Ga and would be happy to spot you a cup of coffee

Don C Peterson
06-16-2010, 6:32 PM
Thanks for the tips. It looks like Lakeland is nearly three hours from Jax... That's quite a haul, but if there's nothing much closer, then I'll just have to buy in bulk and do maybe a trip every year or so.

Kevin Begos
06-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Don-

Sorry, I always get Lakeland confused with Lake City.
The later is close to J-ville, but Lakeland is 2-3 hours.

But that's the only place I know in N. Central Florida.

Redwood Bay Lumber is near Blountstown, but that's
also 3 hr. from J-ville....

Rick Markham
06-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Don, you are always welcome to shoot me a PM about what you are looking for, and I can check with Jim, or his son Kevin (They own HLM) I see them almost every Sunday at church. I make it out to their shop every few weeks and would be more than willing to be a set of eyes for ya, let ya know if they have something you are looking for, and how much it is. That way you can judge whether or not it is worth a 3 hour drive.

Brian Darold
06-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Welcome Don!

I too relocated from Detroit to Gainesville about 10 years ago. Once you get used to the heat it's really quite nice here.

Griffis is accross the street from me and has some really nice cypress. I haven't built a project with cypres yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Brian