PDA

View Full Version : Is this right for flattening Norton stones?

Dan Karachio
06-15-2010, 8:48 PM
I believe I read it here, so it has to be right! But... I have doubts in my own interpretation of things. I have Norton water stones. Rather than flatten on sandpaper, I thought I would buy a diamond stone. I bought a DMT 6" 325 grit diamond stone from Woodcraft - Here is a link: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000233/1423/Diamond-Honing-Stone--6--Coarse-325-Grit.aspx

Here's the dumb question part. It is smaller than my water stones. I have this idea it needs to be as big or bigger to help me quickly flatten my stones. Honestly, I hate asking newbie questions like this, but is this what I need?

P.S. I read poor reviews on Norton's own flattening stone - http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005775/17629/Flattening-Stone-With-Case.aspx

Tom Henderson2
06-15-2010, 9:58 PM
Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that you were probably wise to avoid the Norton "flattening stone". I wasn't so smart and so I wasted that money.

BUT -- that small DMT probably isn't going to do the trick for flattening stones. It will be usefull for other stuff though.

Consider the 10"x4" DMT stones...
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2002038/9351/10-CoarseExtra-Coarse-DuoSharp.aspx

This is what I use at any rate, and I'm quite happy with it.

-TH

Dan Karachio
06-15-2010, 11:53 PM
What's the saying? Doh!

Why didn't I see that one... Well, nothing opened or used, so I am okay. Thanks Tom!

David Weaver
06-16-2010, 8:35 AM
If you didn't open it, take it back and shop for one of the W8# (8 inch) duosharps on ebay or amazon. They can be found for about $60, and the 10 inch stones for about $90-$95. The woodworking retailers - all of them - seem to have a far higher markup than discount outfitters and knife stores. There's no reason to pay it.

As a side note, you can use a smaller stone to dress a larger stone easily flat enough to use to sharpen plane irons and chisels, it just takes more observation and effort. With a hone the size of the stone or larger, you just rub it around and go.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Honestly, I hate asking newbie questions like this, but is this what I need?

No no no.... I learn bunches from the "newbie" questions, even on topics where I thought that I knew stuff already. Keep asking!

Kari Hultman
06-17-2010, 7:15 AM
Dan, I use a really cheap method to flatten my waterstones--on a piece of fine drywall screen that's laying on a sheet of plate glass. Spritz the stone with water and scrub it on the drywall screen. Rinse the screen after use so it's clean for next time. It's very easy and very effective.

Don Dorn
06-17-2010, 7:38 AM
Dan, I use a really cheap method to flatten my waterstones--on a piece of fine drywall screen that's laying on a sheet of plate glass. Spritz the stone with water and scrub it on the drywall screen. Rinse the screen after use so it's clean for next time. It's very easy and very effective.

I use the same method except that I use a piece of marble tile - works great and have no plans to change. The only other potential difference is that it only applies to my 8000 stone (which doesn't take much at all) as I use a DMT 1200 stone for my medium because I don't want to soak anything.

Tim McEneany
06-17-2010, 5:43 PM
If you didn't open it, take it back and shop for one of the W8# (8 inch) duosharps on ebay or amazon. They can be found for about $60, and the 10 inch stones for about $90-$95.

I just purchased a 10 inch coarse/extra-coarse DMT stone for $90 off amazon and look forward to putting it to use flattening my water stones. I have a combination 1000/8000 Norton stone and plan to use the coarse side of the diamond to flatten both sides of my Norton. The Norton instructions mention using 400-600 grit sandpaper to flatten the 8000 side, which I have been doing. Has anyone had problems flattening the 8000 with a coarser grit??

Dan Karachio
06-17-2010, 6:23 PM
Okay Andrew, I will continue asking tons of dumb questions!

Jim Koepke
06-17-2010, 7:55 PM
I just purchased a 10 inch coarse/extra-coarse DMT stone for $90 off amazon and look forward to putting it to use flattening my water stones. I have a combination 1000/8000 Norton stone and plan to use the coarse side of the diamond to flatten both sides of my Norton. The Norton instructions mention using 400-600 grit sandpaper to flatten the 8000 side, which I have been doing. Has anyone had problems flattening the 8000 with a coarser grit??

I use 80 grit sandpaper on a piece of granite. Often the paper is worn a bit from other use.

I also like the newbie questions. They make me think and they can make my understanding change over time.

My answers to questions today may be different than my answer to the same question a year or two ago.

If this is true for me, it may be true for others. Questions are often how we learn new things.

jim

Paul Saffold
06-17-2010, 9:39 PM
on a $5 granite tile from Lowe's for all my waterstones. I start with the 8000 and work my way back through to the coarsest. I don't bother to rinse the screen between stones:eek:. Any contamination will be finer grit onto a coarser stone.

Mark Roderick
06-18-2010, 2:11 PM
I think you'll just notice that the stone feels rougher.

john brenton
06-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't give up on the diamond stone, I really like using mine to flatten the nortons. I just have the medium grit, 5" X 2.5", $20 diamond stone they sell at home depot and it works great, and makes no mess. I just flatten the water stone right there in the bucket by rubbing them together, then I rub the two norton's together. I really enjoy the system. If it wasn't for that diamond hone I don't know if I would enjoy the nortons as much as I do.

Jon van der Linden
06-19-2010, 11:32 AM
+1 on the DMT 4x10 dual sided. I use the rough side for the lower grits and the finer side for 8k+. (Not sure which grits my DMT is, but it has the blue and black dots for grit sizes.) Just give the stone a quick pencil squiggle to see where the DMT is cutting and it's flat in a few seconds.