PDA

View Full Version : Making pens from cedar?

Alan Tolchinsky
06-15-2010, 8:28 PM
Hi, I have some cedar that is very old and dry that I'd like to make pens from. It's in good condition and I've made boxes etc. from it. But it seems a little soft to make pens from. Has anybody used cedar for pen making?

Wayne Hendrix
06-15-2010, 9:19 PM
We made one once and my wife carried it in her purse for a while until she lost it. She said it did have a few dings and marks in it but that was also before we were using a CA finish on our pens and I dont know if that would make a difference.

David E Keller
06-15-2010, 9:33 PM
Even with CA it's a little soft, but if the grain is good, it makes for a nice looking pen.

John Hart
06-15-2010, 9:43 PM
I made a couple from cedar burl a few years ago. Gave them away, so I don't know how they held up....but it turned ok. Smelled great!:)

Wayne Hendrix
06-15-2010, 9:48 PM
Even with CA it's a little soft, but if the grain is good, it makes for a nice looking pen.

I did forget to mention it was a beautiful pen.

James Combs
06-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Here are a couple I turned a few weeks back (two on right). They were gifts for in-laws so I can't say how they will ware.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=140559

Alan Tolchinsky
06-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey Thanks guys. I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll use thin CA to harden the wood then do a CA finish. I'll see how it works.

Mike Campbell KS
06-16-2010, 2:11 AM
I have done several cedar pens. Like you I was concerned about the softness of the wood. I probably made a dozen applications of thin CA, and the pens have stood up fine (2 months later). GL

Joe Herrmann
06-16-2010, 8:46 AM
I used to make pens from the aromatic cedar and I used to cut the blanks from the area just below the knots. There was some really pretty figure in that area that made the pens just a little better than those made from the rest of the board. Plus, the wood was a bit harder there and there was less chance of dings, etc once the pens were put in service. But there was a trade off--I lost about a third of the blanks I started to turn because the wood was so hard and a bit unstable. The skew would break the wood right off the tubes. However, it was a good trade off even with that percentage of failure because those pens sold very well.

Joe

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2010, 9:32 AM
Alan I have made sevreal cedar pens. I love them. I use about 4 coats of thin CA for a finish and then buff them. My sister still using hers that I gave her 2 or more years ago and still looks great.

Jim Burr
06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
I used aromatic cedar on a few, seemed very soft even with multiple coats of CA.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-16-2010, 11:24 AM
James, Those are beautiful pens. I'm going to do this because this cedar is from a chest my parents had and is now at least 60 yrs. old. I've made boxes, bandsaw boxes, and now pens from it. It still smells great even after all these years and of course the sentimental value can't be described. Thanks again all.

Karl Card
06-16-2010, 3:19 PM
I to have made several cedar pens. The largest percentage of my customers really liked them.

I use mainly copper hardware with cedar and for the outdoorsman I use copper with a copper rifle pocket clip... looks sharp as a tack..

I have always used deft lacquer for cedar pens and have the urge to try the ca finish.. In my opinion if you use it as a pen it will do just fine... if you drop it or use it as a pry bar or tooth floss then yes it will get dents..