PDA

View Full Version : Possible to OD on David Marks?

Mark Blumer
11-28-2004, 1:22 PM
My cable company is happy to take my money every month but they politely brush me off when I ask them to add the DIY network to the listings. Over the holiday weekend I visited my son and daughter-in-law in Columbus, OH. Their cable TV company not only has DIY but also provides them with a TIVO unit! They had recorded 13 episodes of David Marks' Woodworks for me. I watched all 13 in two days. I feel a little punchy now but very happy (a lot like I feel when I "sample" a bottle of fine cognac). Is it possible to OD on that show? Are there any long term effects I should watch for?

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Jim Tobias
11-28-2004, 2:07 PM
He has definitely influenced me as in: a)bought a vacuum press and now I am trying to a lot more curves in anything I do. I TIVO every episode and watch on my schedule. He is addictive and it can get into your wallet, but all in all, it can be a positive influence.

Jim

Tim Morton
11-28-2004, 2:11 PM
This weekend i OD'd on 2 show running marathon's...neither where about anything I have any interest in but friday was a complete do nothing day for me...American HotRod and Dr.G :cool:

Michael Ballent
11-28-2004, 11:02 PM
I do not think that you can OD on David Marks... until you notice the air craft carrier ... err... jointer that he has... almost had to turn off the TV when I saw he was passing 16" wide pieces and he still had room to spare... Just repeat to myself... He's a pro and you are not ;)

Jerry Olexa
11-29-2004, 12:50 AM
I don't know if you can O.D. but he does have a GREAT show. I really enjoy his shows altho I'm hearing his TV contract may not be renewed by DIY. Pity!!

Marshall Harrison
11-29-2004, 9:51 AM
I watched a Tool Time marathon on tv this weekend. Does that count? I'm not sure as Time the Toolman seems to be the only person I know who makes more mistakes than me.:mad:

Peter Stahl
11-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Mark,

My cable company (Comcast) has DIY on the >100 or their digital channels. Any chance that's where your's is? Comcast also has the Motorola cable boxes with a DVR (Digital Recorder) inside. So far it works pretty well.

Pete

Dan Racette
11-29-2004, 10:31 AM
I have had a "seaon pass" for Woodworks for a while. I have a DVD burner on my tivo and I think I have about 35 unique episodes recorded. My 5 and 7 year old girls insist on watching David before school. I took them to a woodworking show and they got to meet him. They were a little suprised at how humble and nice he was to them. They thought a "big star" like him wouldn't have time to talk to them. Now they want to meet Hillary Duff. :eek: I don't think she will be as easy to meet or as nice. They both think I will have a TV show someday. :rolleyes: I doubt it.

I like the show where he visits the California wood suppliers best. His philosphies are extremely motivating!

Hal Flynt
11-30-2004, 12:55 PM
I don't think you can OD on Wood Works, but addiction is a possibility. I visited my daughter and family over Thanksgiving and experienced withdrawal, so we came back home Sat in time to catch the 9:00Pm show.

I find myself wasting less good wood after watching his techniques. Better drawings before I start, templates, dry fitting more than once etc.

Maybe he can get a spot on a more available channel.

Gilbert Vega
11-30-2004, 11:31 PM
I have a DVD burner on my tivo and I think I have about 35 unique episodes recorded.
Not to hijack the thread, but.....
I have about 8 episodes of Wood Works on my DVR over the last two weeks since I've had it. I can see that in the not too distant future, I will fill it up. The unit I have has a slot for a Smart Card, however I asked the provider about buying the card and they said there was no support for it. Ii also has a dual tuner and they also told me that the option was not supported. Can the DVR be connected directly to a DVD burner. Anyone have any info on the use of the Smart Card? Thanks.

Keith Christopher
12-01-2004, 12:00 AM
which PVR do you have ? is the slot for a smart card or a memory stick ? Most smart cards are simply a microcontroller and some small amount of memory clearly not enough to dump a movie with sound to. Toshiba makes a tivo unit with a DVD-R built in as well as some other maker. Hughes has one in the UK that's a dual tuner TIVO/Directv unit with a DVD-R but it has not released in the US at this time.

Scott Behrens
12-01-2004, 9:09 AM
On the subject of burning DVD's from your DVR, you should be able to hook up a stand alone DVD burner and copy shows over with no problem(Movies with Macro protection won't work). The brand of the DVR shouldn't matter. I've seen the stand alone DVD Burners for as low as $150 around here for the holidays. Of course, that's for the cheap brands. LiteOn has become known for their computer drives but I don't know how good their set top boxes are. I have a ReplayTV hooked into my computer network and can burn shows throught the DVD Burner in my computer. After having the DVR for 2 years, I'm finally getting around to testing it now, but of course I don't get Wood Works through my cable company either. Good Luck

Scott

Bill Arnold
12-01-2004, 8:03 PM
Luckily, we get DIY so I get to watch all of David's shows. I set up our DVR box to record all episodes and have several of them stored. We're waiting until the after-Christmas sales to check prices on DVD recorders to transfer the recorded programs.

A lot of the pieces David builds have no appeal to me, but the techniques are helpful in any case. I'm currently building the Chippendale-inspired side table he built. I didn't buy the plan, just downloaded the cutlist and created my own working drawing. Tomorrow, I'll work on the joinery and profiling. I'll post pictures when I get it finished. Actually, I'm building a pair of them.

John Motzi
12-01-2004, 8:07 PM
Back in October I started recording the episodes daily and by the end of this month I will have all episodes to date on videotape. I have been watching at least one episode each night and so far I do not think it's possible to O.D. on David Marks. However I no longer wear shorts since I now have tapered legs with ebony accents. :eek:

JM

Gilbert Vega
12-01-2004, 8:33 PM
which PVR do you have ? is the slot for a smart card or a memory stick ? Most smart cards are simply a microcontroller and some small amount of memory clearly not enough to dump a movie with sound to.
The unit is made by Motorola and just below the slot, it says "smart card".

Guess I'll have to look for a standalone DVD burner :(

David Dixson
12-02-2004, 1:12 AM
If your cable company doesn't have DIY network, I suggest switching over to Dish network. I did 3 years ago and I've been extremely happy and never look back. Service is better, the picture is better and more dependable. The only time I lose picture is when it's storming like crazy outside and the TV oughta be turned off to protect it from lightning strikes anyways.

The only real complaint I have is they don't put David Marks on as much as they do those "scrapbooking" (may God help me endure those things when SWMBO wants to watch one) shows.

Dave

Marc Spagnuolo
12-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah. Scrapbooking, RC cars, and Jewelry making!! Sheesh!! I didnt think woodworkers were that much of a minority.

Ted Shrader
12-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi John -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas. Dangle your feet in the water - if they don't float that is. :)

Ted

Michael Perata
12-02-2004, 11:47 AM
....altho I'm hearing his TV contract may not be renewed by DIY. Pity!!

It was not renewed at his request. I took a class from him last July and during lunch he really bitched at the way DIY treated him, and almost everyone else they have in the their stable.

He claimed he had to buy most of the material he used in the shows, and was not reimbursed. DIY also pays no residuals so when they are doing re-runs 5 - 10 years from now, he get's nothing.

But, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I got name recognition out of it!!" It seemed to be enough for him.

Ted Shrader
12-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi Dave -

Welcome to the Creek. Good group of folks here to trade ideas with.

When the scrapbooking and quilting shows come on, that is the signal to go to the shop. :)

Ted

Bill Arnold
12-03-2004, 6:13 AM
It was not renewed at his request. I took a class from him last July and during lunch he really bitched at the way DIY treated him, and almost everyone else they have in the their stable.

He claimed he had to buy most of the material he used in the shows, and was not reimbursed. DIY also pays no residuals so when they are doing re-runs 5 - 10 years from now, he get's nothing.

Here's a quote from David's website:

"Posted on November 24, 2004
We have recently received quite a bit of e-mail about the future of my participation as host of Woodworks. To eliminate any confusion, I'd like to take a moment to make sure everybody knows what I know. I have completed 91 total Woodworks shows for DIY. Currently there are 13 new episodes showing, the 600 series and it's my understanding the last set of 13 shows I have completed, the 700 series, will begin airing in January 2005. DIY has not indicated to me in any way the show is being canceled. They simply have not, as of yet, approached me about taping any more episodes of Woodworks. I really appreciate the support I have been receiving and would encourage those so motivated to share your support for the show directly to DIY. You may email them at comments@diynet.com (comments@diynet.com).

Thanks... David"

As to his having to pay for the materials himself, as I understand the items he builds are placed in a gallery and, when sold, the revenue goes to David. Example: the curved-top treasure chest with spalted maple is expected to bring $2000-$3000.

Bob Fuller
12-03-2004, 8:08 AM
Someone suggested Dish Network. I would like to add Direct TV. You receive DIY network at a lower price point and a better overall selection. The picture is great and rarely has a glitch. You can get TiVo as part of the deal at $99 and the monthly charge is only $4.95. :)

I have not put David onto DVD, but I think I will start now!

Bob

Bob Fuller
12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
I looked up the hardwood supplier Dave featured on his show a couple of weeks ago. They were not thrilled that Dave put their name on the screen. They sell wholesale and were not looking for the publicity.

However, it turns out they do not mind selling retail. It is just that they do not take credit cards or offer other features you would expect at a retail location. They will even deliver way out here in Fort Bragg...once a month and dropped at one of their regular customers. But that works for me!:D

They are in Santa Rosa on Earhart Dr., for those of you in Northern Cal.

Bob Fuller in Fort Bragg, CA

Marc Spagnuolo
12-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Seems odd that any company would discourage free publicity. Money is money.

Chris Padilla
12-03-2004, 3:17 PM
Well, money isn't everything...perhaps they had a nice cash flow and more cash flow means more work and more stress....

Ron Schweitzer
12-04-2004, 8:49 PM
I can't get DIY/David on my current CCTV, I would have to change CCTV, ISP, cable modem and loose my address to get DIY and then David may not be available soon on DIY.

I have only seen the Wood Works show about 6 times when I woke up very early several years ago but I was impressed with what I did see and I really liked the "aircraft carrier", I didn't see an air powered brad gun used on furniture along with the buy used tools if you can attitude.:)

Gilbert,
I think the smart card slot is for authorization/authentication for PPV, it was used for that on Dish Network. A smart card doesn't have a whole lot of memory, not the several gb that you need for DVR, not yet. YMMV.
Ron

Fred Floyd
12-15-2004, 12:59 AM
I have seen all but 5 of the 78 episodes that have aired so far. Each show demonstrates some new technique. David has demonstrated a wide variety of skills during the shows so far. Most of the projects are interesting, though I doubt that I would build any of them for myself. However, the techniques such as marquetry, veneering, inlay and patination are things that have not been shown on other ww shows.

I'm currently trying some inlay and the use of contrasting wood colors to enhance my projects. David Marks has pushed my woodworking interests to new heights.

Hal Flynt
12-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Boy oh boy oh boy.

This past weekend I started a project the David Marks way. Full scale drawing of the base of a corner cupboard that I am building for a friend. Then an MDF template for the shelves (a total of 7 to cut) 23" deep and 41" at the widest section and a 7" (whatever you call the part that comes out from the front at the wall 90 deg.) This took some doing to get it right and smooth, maybe an hour or more. Next I rough cut the 3/4" birch ply proud by 1/8"+/-. and used the template and flush cutting bit to trim to size. This took about 2 hours from full sheet to 7 shelves, and all of them are identical. This is a lot quicker and more precise than building a series of jigs to make the shelves.

Ok here's a stealth gloat. I picked up a dual tuner DVR from Comcast yesterday. Now I can record 2 shows (even in High Def) at the same time. Set it up to record all the new David Marks shows as well as the repeats at 8:00AM EST. Now I won't miss any (hopefully) and won't be constantly late to work. I can then copy to VHS and build a library.

Peter Stahl
12-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Boy oh boy oh boy.

Ok here's a stealth gloat. I picked up a dual tuner DVR from Comcast yesterday. Now I can record 2 shows (even in High Def) at the same time. Set it up to record all the new David Marks shows as well as the repeats at 8:00AM EST. Now I won't miss any (hopefully) and won't be constantly late to work. I can then copy to VHS and build a library.

Hal,

How did you rig up your VCR to record from the DVR. I just got mine and haven't been able to figure it out.

Pete

Hal Flynt
12-15-2004, 1:16 PM
Well I haven't done that yet either. Both of my VCR's are kaput and I am trying to decide which DVD/VCR Recording combo to buy.

From the operator manual, the way they first show it is from the DCT-6412 video (yellow) and R&L Channel (red and white) outs to the VCR ins. (OR same thing through an AVR.) Now I am guessing here, but you would have to record on the VCR while playing back the DVR recording.

Eventually I want to build an HD HTPC and use the firewire for input, allowing me to store HD on the hard drive and use the hard drive as a buffer to burn DVD's.

If I find a better answer, I'll post it.

Lars Thomas
12-15-2004, 1:42 PM
Peter, I had difficulty dropping from the Direct TV Tivo to the VCR at first. I finally figured you need to have the 'channel' on the VCR to Line 1.

Not sure where you are hung up, so I'll take it from the top, but basically, you should have three lines coming out of your TIVO (or other brand of PVR). They are Left/Right Audio and a Video. Plug each of them into the corresponding jack on the back of your VCR. It's probably labeled 'Line 1 In' or similar'. If line 1 is already in use, jump to line 2. Just be sure when you go to record you have the 'channel' set to the appropriate line.

Peter Stahl
12-15-2004, 8:46 PM
Hal & Lars,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to play with it some more. I thought I had my cables hooked up right, maybe I didn't have the VCR on the right channel. I used the VCR to record from the Old Digital (HD) Cable Box so I thought it would be a no brainer. Didn't check the VCR channel though. I've been recording quite a bit with the DVR but I just watch them then delete them. I still have a few I'd like to save though. I think the best setup is what Hal wants to do, save them to his PC. Would be neat to edit out the commercials then save them to a DVD. Let us know if the firewire works, heard not all features are functional on the Motorola DVR's.

thanks, Pete

Byron Trantham
12-15-2004, 8:58 PM
I have a couple dozen of David's shows recorded to computer (mpgs). I go back to them a lot.