PDA

View Full Version : Small Sycamore Bowl

Rob Cunningham
06-15-2010, 1:26 PM
I recently finished this small Sycamore bowl. It measures 4-5/8" diameter, 2" tall with 1/4" wall thickness. It has some nice spalting going on. I finished it with several coats of Antique Oil and rubbed it out with a 4000 grit Abralon pad. Sorry for the not so great pictures. Someday I'll build a photo tent. All comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Tim Rinehart
06-15-2010, 1:31 PM
Nice bowl Rob, pretty piece of sycamore too. Really deep finish, shines well.

You won't hear me critique your tent-less photos...I'm in same camp. So many other fish to fry!

bob svoboda
06-15-2010, 2:28 PM
Nice bowl, pretty wood and a neat shiny finish. Well done.

David E Keller
06-15-2010, 7:53 PM
Pretty wood and plenty of shine.

John Keeton
06-15-2010, 8:18 PM
Rob, nice work on the bowl and a beautiful piece of wood. Great finish, too.

I have turned one bowl of sycamore, and it turned out to be Ambrosia. Really surprised me as nicely it turned and the color was great. I wouldn't mind having more of it - come to think of it, I just recalled that I buried a couple of pieces in my shavings pile!!:eek: I better go check on that!

And, on the photo tent, I thought for a minute you had my old pillowcase/trashcan set up! But, it looks like your backdrop has a little more texture.

Rob Cunningham
06-16-2010, 1:06 PM
And, on the photo tent, I thought for a minute you had my old pillowcase/trashcan set up! But, it looks like your backdrop has a little more texture.

It's just an old worn out towel

Allen Neighbors
06-16-2010, 1:48 PM
Nice little bowl, from some nice wood!! Sycamore is really nice wood to turn...

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2010, 5:45 PM
Nice bowl from some really nice looking wood.