PDA

View Full Version : Under Cabinet Lighting suggestions

Jim Podsedly
06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Looking to remove our outdated fluorescent fixtures and replace with something more modern.

The lights are hardwired to switches currently and would like to keep that method of operation.

I have one counter that is ~58", another that is ~29" and the last one is an 'L' shape that is 31" and 43".

Looked at puck lights, LED and Xeon. Not sure what way i want to go as each has its benefits.

If i went with pucks then how many would i need? How much light do they project?

Looking for suggestions/recommendations.

thanks,
jim

Don Jarvie
06-15-2010, 2:32 PM
I have puck lights in my kitchen. There great but they do heat up so the are not really to be left on for many hours.

They put out a great deal of light. I put these in 6 years ago and I'm sure there are better types of pucks.

I would say to put 1 under each cabinet or evenly space them, say 1 every 24 to 30 inches.

Jamie Buxton
06-15-2010, 7:59 PM
LEDs are expensive to buy, and have the same color issues as fluorescent. Halogens (and Xenon is a type of halogen) have good color. However, if you use 20W bulbs -- typical of pucks -- they generate a lot of heat in a small area. A better scheme is to use 5W bulbs, but enough of them to get the amount of light you want. The use of 5W bulbs spreads the heat out so that nothing gets too hot. My current favorite is Seagull's system: http://www.seagulllighting.com/Linear-Lighting.htm. I use the festoon lamps (and therefore the lampholders that hold festoon lamps).

Sam Layton
06-15-2010, 8:04 PM
Hi Jim,

I am just installing my upper cabinets, and starting to decide on under cabinet lights. I am going to go with LED of some sort. I like the LED because they stay cool. I want to be able to leave them on for long periods of time without worrying about the heat.

So far I like the LED strip lights. I was told the LED puck light will not dim. I want to make sure my lights will dim. I just purchased a LED light to go in the cabinet over the sink, shining down on the sink. Mine will also be hard wired.

Let me know what you decide, Sam

Dan Friedrichs
06-15-2010, 8:08 PM
I always think the LEDs look monochromatic and blue. LEDs can certainly be dimmed, though.

If you go with the halogen/xenon ones, a hint: oils from your fingers will get on the bulbs when you install them. Wipe the bulb off with rubbing alcohol, and you'll greatly extend their life.

Randy Rizzo
06-15-2010, 9:14 PM
I did xenon pucks in one kitchen and in the cabin I did halogen pucks. Spaced about 16-17" apart. I mounted them in a 2X6 planed down to fit under the cabinet recess, full width of the cabinet. Bored the holes, routed out the back side for wire runs and secured them to the cabinet sides and backs thru Kreg pocket holes. Makes for a nice neat install, no wires show. Orientation of the puck is not critical, but it helps to have the bulb facing the rear when you have to change it so you can see the sockets for the pins. Something I had to learn the hard way. So far no problem with heat and I think we'd know by now. LOML thinks light switches, once turned on, have to remain that way:D

Dave Johnson29
06-15-2010, 9:24 PM
Looking for suggestions/recommendations.

Hi Jim,

I got a bunch of small fluros from HD and they daisy chain. Each one has a short cord on one end and a plug on the other.

They are slim enough to not be visible when installed in the recess in the base of the cabinets. They are touch-lights so you just wave a finger or hand around back there.

They have hinges on them so they can be dropped down vertically but I like them to stay hidden so I leave them in the flat position.

I like 'em.

Jim Podsedly
06-16-2010, 9:39 AM
I am leaning toward this one at Lowes: Utilitech 18" 3-Light Linking LED Bar

I am still trying to find out if this can be hardwired. It says it has a plug so I am guessing i could wire where the plug wire attaches. Also, not sure if this requires a type of transformer box or not.

Brian Elfert
06-16-2010, 7:47 PM
I always think the LEDs look monochromatic and blue. LEDs can certainly be dimmed, though.

They now have some warm white LEDS. I have a 10 meter strips of warm white LEDs that I have yet to power up. I have no idea yet if they really look better than a typical LED.

Jamie Buxton
06-16-2010, 8:55 PM
They now have some warm white LEDS. I have a 10 meter strips of warm white LEDs that I have yet to power up. I have no idea yet if they really look better than a typical LED.

To my eye, the warm white LEDs look better than the cool whites, just like in fluorescents. But even the warm whites look blue compared to halogens.

John Shuk
06-17-2010, 9:21 AM
If you get halogens make sure the bulbs are both widely available and have a decent socket. I didn't do either of those things and it has been a bit of a pain.