PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Lane Counter Top

Marc Seaman
11-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Hello All First timer hear.

I am making a kitchen counter top out of an old bowling ally, it is made of Rock Maple and is 2 inches thick, I have sanded it so for with 180 grit sandpaper and am going to 220 or so.
May question is what finish should I use, I have been reading a lot about salad bowl and mineral oil.what is the best and most durable for a Kitchen couter top.

Thanks for the help
Marc

Rob Russell
11-28-2004, 4:50 PM
Marc - Welcome to the Creek!

Did you start with 180 grit? If so, you might want to go to a coarser grit and then work your way finer, if your intent is to remove all the finish that was there before.

For a finish, you've a got a choice of an oiled finish that (mineral oil, for example) that's food-safe and won't go rancid or a harder finish like a catalyzed varnish that will last longer, but is harder to reapply. Oil won't protect the wood the way a harder finish would, but you can reoil the counter top pretty much any time.

The finish partly you choose depends on how you use your counter top and how fussy you are about taking care of it.

Rob

Marc Seaman
11-28-2004, 4:56 PM
Rob,
I started at 80 grit and worked my way up,
and like I stated before this is for my kitched counter top where the sinks is going to be, so it will be heavly used, any recomendations would be appricated

Marc

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 5:53 PM
Marc, a wood counter around a sink can be bad news, especially if you use a film finish. When (not if...) water gets under the finish, it will discolor noticably and is hard, if not impossible to fix. If you really want to use wood counters in that area, I'd suggest you stick with mineral oil or a mineral oil/parafin mixture and reapply it from time to time. You start out by applying it every other day for the first week, then twice a week for a month, then monthly to maintain. Do it at the end of the day before you go to bed and it will be ready to use the next morning. (This is the same regimen that we use for our soapstone as well as our maple top on the island)

Some folks will also seal the end-grain around the sink opening with thinned epoxy before installation to help keep it from wicking up excess moisture that gets around/under the sink.

Rob Russell
11-28-2004, 6:09 PM
Rob,
I started at 80 grit and worked my way up,
and like I stated before this is for my kitched counter top where the sinks is going to be, so it will be heavly used, any recomendations would be appricated

Marc

I probably didn't state my question clearly enough. Some people take a wood counter top and use it as a cutting surface, not bothering with cutting boards. That puts a whole different dimension into the demands on the countertop.

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 6:11 PM
Good point, Rob...and in that case, a mineral oil or mineral oil/paraffin treatment is about the best thing since it's always renewable.

Marc Seaman
11-28-2004, 6:15 PM
Thanks Guys,
I'll use mineral oil, is there any differences between any of the oils?

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 6:17 PM
I'll use mineral oil, is there any differences between any of the oils?Yea. Price. You can buy the fancy stuff labeled for "cutting boards", etc...or...you can go to the drug store's laxative isle and buy it cheaply in a larger bottle. The latter is obviously the more economical choice and there is no difference in the product!

Marc Seaman
11-28-2004, 6:24 PM
Thanks Jim I Appreciate it.
I guess I am on my way to the store to buy some laxatives, and what is the highest grit that you would go up to. I am at 180 and thinking on going to 220?

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 6:27 PM
I went to 220 on my island top. BTW, before you do the oiling, raise the grain a few times and lightly sand off the whiskers. Even with the oil, moisture will raise grain for awhile, but you can minimize it this way.

Marc Seaman
11-28-2004, 6:34 PM
Ok now for the dumb question, How do you raise the grain, I am Fairly new to this and have never raisee grain or I did and had no idea I washttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 6:37 PM
Ok now for the dumb question, How do you raise the grain, I am Fairly new to this and have never raisee grain or I did and had no idea I was
LOL! Good question...with a simple answer. Just put some water on the surface, let it dry and LIGHTLY sand off any fuzzies with 320 paper. Do not cut the wood...just the whiskers. Repeat again. Best results come from using distilled water since it is clear of minerals, but plain water will work just fine.

Marc Seaman
11-30-2004, 7:03 PM
I have sanded with 220 grit and raised the grain 3 times , lightly sanded with 320 grit and now just put the first coat of laxetive on waiting to see the results when it dries, looks great so far, thanks for the help,I'll post some pics when I am done.
Before Christmas I hope.

Jim O'Dell
11-30-2004, 7:12 PM
Marc, how did you find the bowling alley wood? I'm sure one was being torn down, but how did you hear about it happening. I would love to have some of this for the work benches in my shop remodel, or even old gymnasium wood flooring. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the finished product! Jim.

Dan Mages
11-30-2004, 7:51 PM
That will be an interesting countertop!! Are you planning on adding lane markers? Maybe gutters on both sides? :rolleyes:

Seriously tho.... Good luck with the project! Dont forget to post progress pics.

Dan

Dan Stuewe
11-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Just something that popped into my head after I read this thread. I've never worked with bowling alley, but I've heard that the planks are held together by a whole bunch of nails. A couple of questions...Is glue also used to hold the planks together? If "yes", how will the joints hold up to a kitchen enviroment? If "no", how will the joints hold up to a kitchen environment? The oil will help protect the surface, but what about the joints?

Christopher Pine
11-30-2004, 11:13 PM
this is killing me! I need pictures of this counter in question!!!!!

Marc Seaman
12-01-2004, 9:14 AM
It has some of the dots on the lanes, I pick this piece because it was clean. all I need is a beer and some smokes and I am all set:p

Dino Makropoulos
12-01-2004, 7:36 PM
Hello All First timer hear.

I am making a kitchen counter top out of an old bowling ally, it is made of Rock Maple and is 2 inches thick, I have sanded it so for with 180 grit sandpaper and am going to 220 or so.
May question is what finish should I use, I have been reading a lot about salad bowl and mineral oil.what is the best and most durable for a Kitchen couter top.

Thanks for the help
Marc

If you like the (bar finish) you can use epoxy
1/16 thick and never a problem.
High gloss only.
YCF

Marc Seaman
12-03-2004, 7:41 AM
Well Bad News, I have cancelled the project due in part the I will not be living in this house much longer, Getting the big D. It sucks the counter is 95% done just cut the hole for the sink and slap it in, I live in Akron Ohio and have 24 feet of this bowling ally in sections of 2-6 foot , 1-3 foot and 1-9 foot, the 9 foot is 26 inches wide 2 inches thick and 9 long and is sanded and ready to go, if anyone close would like to buy it. let me know, I am looking for an apartment and I doubt I will be able to do much woodworking there.
Thanks for all the help with this project!

Marc Seaman
12-03-2004, 7:52 AM
Also the anser the question a little late but yes the ally is nailed and glued together if I need bracing I can reinforce it with 1x2 but I think it will be fine, Hear is a pic

Tyler Howell
12-03-2004, 8:15 AM
[QUOTE=Marc Seaman]Well Bad News, I have cancelled the project due in part the I will not be living in this house much longer, Getting the big D.
Sorry about the change in partnership Marc. You're part of 50% of the population. Though it may look a little bleak right now, this is a new beginning. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the lesson! This exchange with our esteemed colleagues has been most valuable

Jim Becker
12-03-2004, 8:53 AM
Sorry to hear the news, Marc. Many of us have been there. Like Tyler says, treat it as a new beginning...and don't forget to take care of yourself. If woodworking is a meaningful part of your life, try to arrange to keep it there, especially for stress relief. There are always things you can do, even in an appartment setting or through arrangements with others.

Bob Aquino
12-03-2004, 2:37 PM
Sorry to hear the news. That is one Tshirt that I do have as well and can tell ya that it sucks at the time but you will get past it. Hope there are no kids involved since that makes it much tougher. Try and hold on to as much of your woodworking stuff as possible, it will give you something to occupy your time. I rented a small house for about the price of an apartment and I kept all my stuff in the garage. In any event you will get back on your feet and get back into woodworking. Good Luck.

Bob

Marc Seaman
12-03-2004, 7:37 PM
Thanks guys, I plan on getting out by February, we will see how it goes.