PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?

James Taglienti
06-15-2010, 12:09 PM
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?cat=550

Just wondering if anybody bought the key fob. I need a good laugh today.

Rick Erickson
06-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Actually the tattoos draw a little more laughter in my book.

John Adam
06-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm definitely getting the tattoo!

Rick Rutten
06-15-2010, 1:18 PM
Its the the key fob definately. That authentic "Maine stitching" is harder to come by than a #2 for a dollar. Get them before the "collectors" get wind of them. ;)

Now if they included one with the purchase of every plane, chisel, or saw, that would be different. :D

Rick

James Taglienti
06-15-2010, 1:21 PM
I didn't even notice the tattoos. I'm gonna put one on my forehead

That key fob is probably the machine room floor sweepings and off cut leather from their other stuff ! Not a bad idea

Paul Incognito
06-15-2010, 2:17 PM
I didn't even notice the tattoos. I'm gonna put one on my forehead
Better put it backwards so you can read it in the mirror.
PI

Rick Markham
06-15-2010, 2:24 PM
Actually The Key fob is the nicest thing on there, not $25 nice but... The tattoos make me laugh... I have well over 130 hours of real tattoos and I would seriously have to question myself if I had a Lie Nielsen tattoo... but hey... they are for the kiddies.

The balsa wood airplane is the funniest thing on there! It might be the only woodworking project some people can complete :D and it is only 10x what I would expect to pay for it's Chinese made counterpart :p

James Taglienti
06-15-2010, 10:44 PM
I was thinking of getting leonard bailey's face on my entire back. how long do you think that would take?

Steve Schoene
06-15-2010, 11:57 PM
What, no takers for the bottle opener?

Rick Markham
06-16-2010, 12:25 AM
I was thinking of getting leonard bailey's face on my entire back. how long do you think that would take?

Probably not as long as you think ;) I have a good friend that does amazing portraits... you need only come visit :D

James Taglienti
06-16-2010, 10:08 AM
I also like the bench brush they sell, stressing the point that it's "just like the one David Charlesworth uses" so we can be JUST LIKE HIM.

Ever notice how some folks don't say "my planes" they say "my lie nielsens?" like people say "my mercedes" or "my hummer" or I've even heard "my husbandthedoctor" before.

what ever happened to "let me check my casio?"

"just driving my Fiesta."

yea i guess it doesn't sound that good for everything

Rick Markham
06-16-2010, 10:59 AM
In a society completely and utterly based on consumerism its not terribly surprising. But it goes both ways too, what some see as a rusty hunk of junk worth only $.25 at a garage sale. A collector might see as a $600 rare plane. Or... what we all see as a rusty worthless pitted beyond restoration hunk of rust of a plane not worth $.25 a junk dealer might see as a $80 antique :p

Just saying:D

I think PT Barnum said it best "There's a sucker born every minute!"

Dave Anderson NH
06-16-2010, 12:23 PM
I love the LN bench brush. Its long soft bristles are perfect for not only cleaning off areas of the benchtop but for removing chips and sawdust from parts of a project. Just this past weekend I used mine extensively while cleaning the sanding dust from some trifid foot cabriole legs as I prepared them for the glue-up of a Queen Anne footstool.

I drilled a hole in the handle of my brush and it lives on a peg installed on one of the legs of my bench. It's always handy but out of the way.

Jim Koepke
06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
I also like the bench brush they sell, stressing the point that it's "just like the one David Charlesworth uses" so we can be JUST LIKE HIM.

Ever notice how some folks don't say "my planes" they say "my lie nielsens?" like people say "my mercedes" or "my hummer" or I've even heard "my husbandthedoctor" before.

what ever happened to "let me check my casio?"

"just driving my Fiesta."

yea i guess it doesn't sound that good for everything

I think it has something to do with everything having a label and the status of the label.

For my wife and I it is usually, "we taking your car or mine?" Sometimes its let's take the truck. Her car does have an easy on the lips model name and sometimes we might say, "let's take the ______." The truck often makes a funny noise that sounds like a goose with a head cold. That is why it is called Red Wheezin' Goose.
Of course, now that I think of it, it wasn't making that noise the other day and now it is in the process of changing water pumps. Hmmmm…

jim

James Taglienti
06-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Dave,

in all honesty i almost bought one... then my wife went to a vintage sewing and fabric auction and got me a couple of these old vintage hat brushes... they're awesome! lots of natural bristle with a slender beech handle... i wouldn't take 50 bucks for this thing!

Jim Belair
06-16-2010, 1:16 PM
I drilled a hole in the handle of my brush and it lives on a peg installed on one of the legs of my bench.

Great, now future generations will always be adding "only apology is a previous owner added a hang hole to the handle" :rolleyes:

Jim B

Mark Wyatt
06-16-2010, 5:24 PM
Great, now future generations will always be adding "only apology is a previous owner added a hang hole to the handle" :rolleyes:

Jim B

"Brush retains 94% of original bristle length. Slight handle wear."

Richard Link
06-16-2010, 7:08 PM
I'm surprised nobody commented on the "balsa weather stick" for $5. Any LN fanboys out there who want to step forward and tout the amazing accuracy of the $5 balsawood LN weather stick? So...you mount this thing outside and it points downward in foul weather..... But if you are already outside...

Makes a great housewarming gift? I think if I bring a stick to a neighbor's housewarming as a gift, I'm gonna get slapped. What am I, a dog?

I love my LN planes and the company in general but even I'm not sending them $5 for a twig. Can you imagine opening that gift from your LOML....It's in a LN box! Alright, she finally understands this woodworking thing....Uh...honey....

Richard

James Taglienti
06-16-2010, 7:20 PM
I didn't see the weather stick either. Housewarming gift? If someone gave me that thing, it would only warm the house for about 15 seconds... balsa doesn't burn very long

Richard Link
06-16-2010, 7:23 PM
I didn't see the weather stick either. Housewarming gift? If someone gave me that thing, it would only warm the house for about 15 seconds... balsa doesn't burn very long

Made me think. If we hold our costs down and maybe outsource some of the work to the far east we could seriously sell those weather twigs for $4.50, undercut LN and make a killing.

Bill Houghton
06-16-2010, 7:28 PM
The truck...wasn't making that noise the other day and now it is in the process of changing water pumps.

You've got a truck that does its own maintenance? That so trumps BMW, with its slightly silly ads about how its cars adjust their own motors to fine tune fuel injection and all that (kind of like just about every modern car does, eh?). Tell us more. I'd love to have a car on which I didn't have to do repairs, as long as it didn't charge me retail flat rate for the repairs.

Where does it buy its parts? From a reputable parts house, I hope.

Bill Houghton
06-16-2010, 7:34 PM
I'm surprised nobody commented on the "balsa weather stick" for $5. Any LN fanboys out there who want to step forward and tout the amazing accuracy of the $5 balsawood LN weather stick? So...you mount this thing outside and it points downward in foul weather..... But if you are already outside...

Now, be fair: it's balsam fir, not balsa; different species.

Still, it's not nearly as effective as a good weather rock, which you can easily view from inside your house:

http://www.txroadrunners.com/images/pics/Funny6/WeatherRock.jpg

James Taglienti
06-16-2010, 7:48 PM
i also heard somewhere that you can get a good idea of the weather by observing your surroundings and looking at the sky

Rick Rutten
06-16-2010, 8:52 PM
i also heard somewhere that you can get a good idea of the weather by observing your surroundings and looking at the sky

Yeah but where is the bling in that? Now if we could get a LN cloud......:eek:

Rick

Bill Houghton
06-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah but where is the bling in that? Now if we could get a LN cloud......:eek:

Rick

But imagine the box - you'd need a second garage just to store the box for future collectors. Unless, of course, LN applied modern technology and compressed the cloud for shipping, with instructions on how to shake it out on delivery.

Larry Fox
06-17-2010, 7:47 AM
I think PT Barnum said it best "There's a sucker born every minute!"

+1.

There is a sandwich shop across the stree from where I work that lists on their menu a PB&J ..... for $4.00(US).

James Taglienti
06-17-2010, 8:00 AM
I'd imagine that it could be compressed into a 5 gallon pail of water that you could just boil off once it got delivered

Rick Rutten
06-17-2010, 8:13 AM
I'd imagine that it could be compressed into a 5 gallon pail of water that you could just boil off once it got delivered

Wow! You should be in marketing.

If you used solar heating that would be recycling the water and a green solution. However, you would be contrubuting to global warming.

Rick

I still want the free key fob with a plane order. Then I could find my key holes when I need them.

Rick

John Shuk
06-17-2010, 9:07 AM
What, no takers for the bottle opener?

I like the bottle opener.

Zach England
06-17-2010, 12:20 PM
This is even stranger than the thread about hand tools for eschatologists.

James Taglienti
06-17-2010, 1:07 PM
Come on Zach - you know you bought the keychain :cool:

Zach England
06-17-2010, 1:18 PM
Not only did I buy it, but I put it on the zipper of my hand tool wilderness survival bag.

James Taglienti
06-17-2010, 3:27 PM
oh burn :(

Rick Markham
06-17-2010, 4:28 PM
They could just ship you a bucket of steam :D

Rick Markham
06-17-2010, 4:30 PM
This has just gotten downright silly now

Brett Baldwin
06-17-2010, 5:56 PM
Wow! You should be in marketing.

If you used solar heating that would be recycling the water and a green solution. However, you would be contrubuting to global warming.

Rick

Rick

Have no fear, you wouldn't be adding at all to global warming. All the elements and energy in that scenario already exist and you aren't creating any greenhouse gases or anything. :D

brian c miller
06-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Have no fear, you wouldn't be adding at all to global warming. All the elements and energy in that scenario already exist and you aren't creating any greenhouse gases or anything. :D

Whats the carbon footprint for shipping 40# of water?

They should just sell LN NaCl that you could add to the old water you already have to make it boil at a higher temperature for thinner cloud formation.

Brian Ashton
06-18-2010, 5:17 AM
Would like one of the bottle openers at the bottom of the page!