PDA

View Full Version : Look what I saw on my walk...

Mike Cruz
06-15-2010, 11:35 AM
This morning's walk yielded a serious awwwwwwwwwww.....

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2010, 8:08 PM
Mike....that is indeed a serious AWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

A number of years ago a friend and I were deer hunting in the mountains near here. Due to the heavy brush cover, typically one guy will bust the brush while another sets up in an open area hoping the other guy will push one into the open.

I set up under a big cedar tree on the edge of an old logging road. My neighbor pushed a pair of late season twin fawns onto me. I watched the one who was down wind spend 10 minutes trying to communicate my presence to the one upwind from me. They were both within 30 feet either side of me. There was no way I could have shot either one of them.

Another serious "AWWWWWW!" moment!

Jim Becker
06-15-2010, 8:48 PM
We had a similar little fawn in our yard last week one morning. We though, perhaps, that it lost its mother, but it didn't return. They are so cute when they are small like that.

Brian Ashton
06-16-2010, 5:53 AM
I remember once tramping through the bush and happened right upon an extremely young elk hunkered down in the under brush. I nearly stepped on it! I got out of there real fast thinking if the mother is anywhere near I'm gonna get stomped.

Mike Cruz
06-16-2010, 6:46 AM
I just wish I had had my real camera with me so I could have gotten a close up of it. This was taken with my cel phone... 1 megapixel...

The first photo, of it standing, was when I walked by the first time. It has this really surprized look on its face. When I turned around, 1/2 mile down the old railway, and came back by, that was when I saw it hunkered down, laying in the creek...oops, sorry, crick... with a real sheepish look on its face as if to say, "Oooooooooh, you didn't really see me did you? Momma said not to play in the water. Don't tell her you saw me. She'll wup me..."

John Keeton
06-16-2010, 7:18 AM
Interestingly, I understand newborn fawns (for about the first month) have no scent, and when they are "placed" by their mother, they will not move. Without scent, movement is their only "giveaway" to coyotes and other predators. One can literally walk over and pick one up.

This little one appears a little older than a month, but not much!!

Mike Cruz
06-16-2010, 8:14 AM
Not sure how many of these little ones we have around right now. Haven't seen more than one at a time, but we've been seeing one/them scattered all over the property. My wife and I were cleaning one of our horse trailers on Monday, and after about 15 minutes (or more) one popped up, not 20 feet from the trailer (and another 20 feet from the house, I might add) and ran off. I guess it "just couldn't take it anymore"...

My wife aslo scared up another one (same one?) in one of our fields while working one of her horses...

Dan Mages
06-16-2010, 8:23 AM
Venison is so tender at that age ;)

Dan

Joe Chritz
06-16-2010, 8:56 AM
Interestingly, I understand newborn fawns (for about the first month) have no scent, and when they are "placed" by their mother, they will not move. Without scent, movement is their only "giveaway" to coyotes and other predators. One can literally walk over and pick one up.

This little one appears a little older than a month, but not much!!

That much is true.

I once was running a trail with a very good bloodhound and the guy I was following walked within feet of a newborn fawn that was placed their by mom. The dog walked within a couple feet of it and didn't even react.

I only found it because I just about stepped on it.

Joe

Jim Koepke
06-16-2010, 1:55 PM
Maybe I better go out and look in my field. There has been a deer out there for the past few days that I have been chasing away from my fruit trees. Last year a neighbor kept their cow there. That kept the grass low. Now the grass is almost tall enough to hide the full grown deer.

Maybe there is a fawn out there being protected by the mama getting me to chase her. Maybe I need to leave some gates open to make a way for her to get her baby out.

jim