PDA

View Full Version : Routers And Table

Jerry Bittner
11-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Been contemplating the Rockler router table top (24x32) since I've purchased their drill top table and have been imnpressed. Seems like a workable table for the price ($159),

Better question is what router to install in it. I can get the table with the Porter Cable 690LRVS. Some have suggested a Makita 5625.

Advice and suggestions please.

Ken Garlock
11-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi Jerry. Although you didn't say so, I assume that price is a consideration. If it is, then a very popular choice is the HItachi M12V 3 1/4 horsepower router. It is on sale at Amazon for $149.99, and that is a good price for that router. In addition, over at Woodshop demos (http://woodshopdemos.com/cmt-jr6.htm) you can find several modifications to further enhance the M12V when used in a router table. :cool:

Good Luck :)

Jerry Olexa
11-28-2004, 4:05 PM
Jerry I have the Rockler table top and fence etc and I'm pleased w its performance. I also have a PC 690 dual base but found it came up short on features for this table, I recently upgraded to a 2.25 HP Makita w variable speed, soft start and a better release/clamping system and of course, higher HP. All these features make it easier when doing raised panels etc. Better yet, go to one of the bigger 3HP units. Understand there are some good deals now on the Milwaukee. Bigger Hp is better but VS is a must but you'll like the table to start.

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 5:46 PM
Jerry, the 690 series is both old technology and underpowered for table use unless you're only going to do edge treatments. Go for a 12-15amp router for your table. The Hitachi that Ken mentioned is about the best value on the market as it's a 15 amp, variable speed, dependable workhorse at a bargan price. You can add a Router-Razer to it (or a shop built equivalent) for above the table adjustment, too. Do use the Rocker metal plate...it's stronger than a plastic unit.

Terry Hatfield
11-28-2004, 6:07 PM
Jerry,

Rockler's table should do fine. I built my own using their big plate. It worked great. I also have the Hitachi M12V in mine and I like it alot. Hard to beat the Hitachi router for table use.

Terry

Greg Griswold
11-28-2004, 8:30 PM
Jerry,

One more for the Hitachi. I have had mine for about a year and am very happy with it.

Greg

Larry D. Wagner
11-29-2004, 8:29 AM
:) Jerry

I wouldn't disagree about the Hitachi being good, but for a few more bucks you can get a Dewalt 625(Tool Crib) and then you would, in my opinion have a great router.

Larry :) :) :)

Clint deal
11-29-2004, 8:32 AM
Does anybody have the grizzly router table? I saw it in the new cat and it looks real nice. It has a sliding top also. I have a PM 24 shaper and an old home made router table but I am seriously thinking about getting the new Grizzly.
it's worth looking at I think.
Clint

John Gregory
11-29-2004, 1:37 PM
I have the Rockler router table and the M12V router and it works great. I did replace the plate with a lift and plate from woodpeck.com

http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html

I love my router table set up now.

Butch Collins
11-29-2004, 3:04 PM
I have been in this mode of building the router table. I bought the Hitachi M12V router and the Woodpecker table top and router lift. I got the table top and lift for 200.00 plus shipping. Here is a link to some pictures of the table that I am still making. http://community.webshots.com/user/sawdust7656

Jim Fancher
11-30-2004, 1:46 AM
I have heard lots of good things about the Hitachi. Take a look at the Porter Cable 895PK router kit too. So far, it's been the best of both worlds (fixed base for table mount and plunge base for handheld) for me. Bit height is adjustable from above the table. You can also easily change bits above table. I ordered the bent wrench from Sommerfeld to make it even easier.

I'm using a PC895PK with a Rockler plate, custom table and cabinet. The cabinet is still under construction and is totally out of control. It's nothing like the plan I was working from. It's turning into Frankenrouter. :D

Greg Narozniak
11-30-2004, 8:19 AM
I have read a lot of positive reviews on the Hitachi. A friend has an M12V and a Woodpecker Unilift and it is a very nice combo. If I did not get a really good deal on a 7518 I would have bought a Hitachi.

Good luck and let us know what you decide