PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box for graduation

Robert Horky
06-15-2010, 7:39 AM
Intarsia front, walnut case, cherry drawers and door fronts

Lee Schierer
06-15-2010, 8:07 AM
Very nice work. Lots of details. I know the amount of work small parts like this take. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Kent Parker
06-15-2010, 8:55 AM
Beautiful box Robert. I love the detail in the flower petals.

Kent

Peter Aeschliman
06-15-2010, 12:19 PM
The flower details are my favorite aspect of this project. Very well done. I really like the finish you used on the flowers too. Very classy (i.e., you didn't just use regular old white paint.

My second favorite detail: the grain-matched drawer fronts.

Well done. I hope to be at that skill level someday!

Gene Howe
06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Very, very nice!
Talk about the "top" under the lid. Is it glass?

Robert Horky
06-16-2010, 7:10 AM
The wood for the daisies is Aspen for the white pedals, yellowheart for the center and poplar (greenest I could find) for the stem/leaves. The Aspen has only a urethane finish. All other parts are natural danish oil, then urethane.

under the lid ... oval mirror with scalloped edges. Behind it is the velvet like liner I used in all the drawers as well.

Gene Howe
06-16-2010, 8:29 AM
Robert,
Thanks for the info. Sorry I wasn't clear in my question. I was referring to the top of the cabinet its self (just above the top drawer). In the pics, the top appears to be glass.
Again, I think it's a beautiful gift. How will you top that when it's time for a wedding gift?:D
Gene

Robert Horky
06-16-2010, 8:49 AM
Gene, you will note there are six drawers and above the top one (from the front view) there is a blank drawer front w/ no drawer pull. this actually covers the compartment that is accessible from the top, when the lid is opened. Hope this helps.