PDA

View Full Version : cutting plywood messy

ian stewart
06-15-2010, 4:32 AM
Hi

I have been engraving for about a year, I now want to cut 4mm ply

I have an old laser that just has a flat aluminium bed. The problem is the bed gets covered in the glue out of the plywood where cuts are made and the back of the plywood gets stained. Will I resolve this problem if I invest in some knife edge slates that I can place on top of the bed

Dan Hintz
06-15-2010, 6:15 AM
That, and some air, will certainly improve your cuts...

Rodne Gold
06-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Elevate the ply on blocks of perspex or even another wood. You can use some aluminum foil ofn the bed to stop the residues making it messy - crumple it a little so as not to get reflections.

Jim Beachler
06-15-2010, 12:50 PM
When I cut plywood, I put a layer of sign tape on the back. Then just pull the tape off when done and it's clean.

ian stewart
06-22-2010, 7:43 AM
Cant get knife edge slats. I am considering buying some steel rulers and edge mounting them on top of my table about 2" apart

Any thoughts good or bad idea

George M. Perzel
06-22-2010, 7:55 AM
Hi Ian;
Many cutting table ideas discussed on numerous threads in SMC-do a search.
Suggest using old venetian blind metal slats for one.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bill Cunningham
06-22-2010, 9:36 PM
Cant get knife edge slats. I am considering buying some steel rulers and edge mounting them on top of my table about 2" apart

Any thoughts good or bad idea

Go see a local sheet metal shop, and get some Aluminum fire grid.. It's a .5" grid that can be cut to the size of your laser bed, and raised off the table a tad to allow a flow under it.. I've been using the same piece now for 5 years so it lasts as well.. It looks like the plastic light grid you see in ceilings, but made from aluminum and it's cheap..

paul mott
06-24-2010, 4:46 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the world of information.

Ian's knife edge slats followed by Georges suggestion regarding old venetian blinds got me thinking so I made a quick and basic model which works brilliantly. Wooden containing box, glass base (no reflections) and jig bent concertina slats.
My main problem was with table and work support reflections spoiling the reverse of my acrylic parts but RC aircraft Liteply was causing me exactly the same problems as Ian mentioned.
If I could justify the expense I would perhaps have purchased the honeycomb cutting bed material but this works just fine and what I have saved can be spent on Beer. :)

Just a couple of photo's to show the result.

Thanks Guys,

Paul.

http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/g373.jpg

http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/g379.jpg