PDA

View Full Version : Value of Stockroom Supply V-Sander Kit

Porter Bassett
06-15-2010, 2:11 AM
I'm looking at the Stockroom Supply V-Sander kit. It looks like a great tool to have for the small scrollsaw stuff that I do.

However, I'm a little dubious about whether it's worth the price. $300 seems like a lot to pay for a 24-inch drum, pulleys, bearings, and sandpaper.

If I'm going to have to build it myself, it seems like I could save a lot of money turning my own MDF drum and ordering the rest of the hardware.

Or am I missing something?

Ben Hatcher
06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I had the same thought, so I made my own. I think it cost about $150 + the motor.

I used a plastic tube for my drum like this. http://www.mcmaster.com/#tubing/=7jkabv

I matched the ID to some variable pitch pullys like these http://www.mcmaster.com/#v-belt-pulleys/=7jk8s5. That gave me a nice balance and a tight interference fit to the drum.

The shaft, pillow block bearings and other pulleys were fairly inexpensive.

I think that I got the hook and loop stuff from amazon. I don't remember the exact store. I don't recall where I got the sandpaper.

You can find link twist belts at harbor freight pretty cheap. I got my motor there. I bought a disk sander that had a 1750 rpm motor. It works, but honestly it is pretty weak. I haven't stalled it in use, but it has a hard time getting the drum spinning without me giving it a little push. More power would be welcome.

You could certainly do it cheaper than what I did. As you said, MDF can be trued into a nice drum and would cost a heck of a lot less than what I paid for the acrylic drum I'm using. I just thought that the acrylic would stay cooler and in all honesty, I wasn't sure how to attach MDF disks to the shaft and keep them locked in place.

Overall, it works pretty well. I do have some vibration but that's because the shaft on mine is way too long and the end is not supported properly. I thought I'd leave it long so that I could hook a disk or mop sander to the end of it. I think that'll stop once I either cut off the excess or add a pillow block near the end.

I can send you some pictures of what I did if you'd like.

Richard Blaine
06-16-2010, 1:52 AM
I can send you some pictures of what I did if you'd like.

Please post the pictures. I've also thought of making one.