PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia Vessel

Mark Cothren
06-14-2010, 10:12 PM
This piece ended up about 11-1/2" tall and about 11-1/2" wide. To be honest I was not at all impressed with this piece of wood until I started applying finish. The color and grain really showed then.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/BigMagnolia01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/BigMagnolia03.jpg

John Keeton
06-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Mark, the form is impressive on its own, but you are right - the wood really shows well!! Beautiful color, and the grain pattern is very interesting.

Well done!

Richard Madden
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Are those branch knots or the pith? Either way, how did you keep from having splits?? I turned a HF with a branch knot green from start to finish hoping the knot wouldn't split, but no luck. Was this piece turned rough and dried, or green to the end? Nice job.

David E Keller
06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Another nice looking HF. Great coloring in that piece.

Mark Cothren
06-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Richard, this was turned end grain. The pith is dead center of the bottom of the vessel. This piece soaked in a big tub of DNA for several weeks about halfway hollowed while I was waiting on some new tools to get here to do the deep hollowing. When I finished hollowing it out I found it was soaked thru and thru with alcohol, so I went ahead and turned it to finished thickness. I left it chucked up for a few days while it dried out so that the chuck would keep the foot/bottom compressed. The knots you see in the side are limbs that went out every direction from the trunk. It reminded me a little of Norfolk Island Pine, the way the limbs were situated. I did put some thin CA on the inside bottom, hoping it would soak in good. So far there are no splits/cracks in the piths, but that could change. If it happens it happens.

charlie knighton
06-15-2010, 4:21 AM
very nice....

John Hart
06-15-2010, 6:36 AM
Cool chunk of wood Mark...and the vessel is a touchable one. Your wall thickness looks to be pretty thin!! Nice. :)

Michelle Rich
06-15-2010, 6:43 AM
well, heck, I'm impressed..i think it's just lovely

Tim Rinehart
06-15-2010, 8:11 AM
I like this piece, and am surprised by color of wood. I may have to go and check my piece of magnolia in the wood pile...to see if I've got any chance for some color like that. Nice subtle bit of spalting there.
Well done!